Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Amos and Randy » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Amos and Randy
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Brent17
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Amos and Randy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey all,

Lurker here with a question.

I recently bought the Randy Stonehill Live at Greenbelt cd that Larry has for sale. Does anyone know if DA is the backing band for this show. The live version of "Good News" that is on "The Sky is Falling" is from this show. It sounds like DA, but on the timeline the show isn't listed.

BTW, if you were wondering, it's a pretty decent buy. It was obviously transfered from vinyl, which is odd because it was recorded with a 24 track mobile unit (Larry says this in the notes) and both "Good News" and the version of "Let the tape Keep Rolling" which Larry comes on stage to sing are in perfect quality.

Odd how Larry's track sounds the best Wink

Thanks
Brent

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Brent17: 02-13-2008 21:45.

02-13-2008 21:44 Brent17 is offline Send an Email to Brent17 Search for Posts by Brent17 Add Brent17 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds cool.

02-14-2008 12:18 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Funny, I just ordered this earlier tonight before I saw your post. I'm excited to get it because it's just from the Solid Rock years. The only Stonehill albums I like that aren't from the SR years are Between the Glory & The Flame and The Wild Frontier.
04-01-2008 19:54 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA was at Greenbelt for the Horrendous Disc tour. I think the Stonehill at Greenbelt concert was before DA had been there maybe by a few years.

Its interesting also in the liner notes for the CD that Larry says "After all, Randy should get some of the CD sales for this concert I booked for him, shouldn't he?" Sure, the solid rock artists should get paid at some point, it would be nice.

04-01-2008 20:23 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Its interesting also in the liner notes for the CD that Larry says "After all, Randy should get some of the CD sales for this concert I booked for him, shouldn't he?" Sure, the solid rock artists should get paid at some point, it would be nice.

??? I'm new around here... did I miss something?
04-01-2008 20:29 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Not really, just that solid rock was never a company that let go of funds owed easily. We worked with Dan Russell (Mark Heard's manager) and Janet Heard on a couple of things, we reissued Mark's two first albums after Mark died. Larry was a little upset about it because according to him the second album was signed over to Solid Rock at some point, which was true to a slight degree those albums were made before Mark signed to solid rock and when he signed onto solid rock he let Larry reissue the second album but he never signed a contract about it. Mark had never received any money from the rerelease. So we made sure at least Janet did. Its a pretty common story, I think Terry may be still waiting on those royalty checks.

04-01-2008 20:58 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

RE: Amos and Randy Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That show was around August 1979. DA is not the backing band, although Alex MacDougal is on drums, his brother Beau is on guitar (as is Randy), bass is David Coy (I think) and Tom Howard is on piano. There must have been a test pressing done of it years ago that the CD was burned from, but GN and LTTKR have been used as bonus tracks on other CDs so they have already been digitized from some tapes, and were both originally on the Greenbelt Live! complilation album released in the fall of 1979.
I think the recording and performance is quite stunning, especially the more electric version of "Keep Me Running". If you notice close, Randy also plays (quite well) some harmony lead guitar parts.
04-02-2008 00:08 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah the two good sounding tracks were probably taken from the Greenbelt Live CD, sort of like how Solid Rock used the 4 track demos from the Preachers From Outer Space CD for one of their samplers.

The Stonehill Greenbelt recording was a test pressing, I got a copy of it years ago.

04-02-2008 09:04 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Not really, just that solid rock was never a company that let go of funds owed easily. We worked with Dan Russell (Mark Heard's manager) and Janet Heard on a couple of things, we reissued Mark's two first albums after Mark died. Larry was a little upset about it because according to him the second album was signed over to Solid Rock at some point, which was true to a slight degree those albums were made before Mark signed to solid rock and when he signed onto solid rock he let Larry reissue the second album but he never signed a contract about it. Mark had never received any money from the rerelease. So we made sure at least Janet did. Its a pretty common story, I think Terry may be still waiting on those royalty checks.

Great, poor Mark Heard as well. Sad story.
Larry quibling over a widow's due.

http://www.servantsheart.net/cs01pho17.htm
Is this story accurate?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ladrtrk55: 04-02-2008 11:01.

04-02-2008 10:57 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

it would realy be good to read an
"exploits of Larry" book
NOt to be mean or anything..and not jsut for the dirt......
he just did some Crazy things- thats all.
and its ALL history now- ya know?

Everyone likes to link to the Beatles..
some choose the Patty Boyd Route it appears..
Cool

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-02-2008 11:15 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

Have you seen Disabatino's film on Lonnie Frisbee? It was talked about by David on the Larry list, so I don't hink I am giving anything way to say that he is working on a film about Larry. Interviewed DA members, Mike Roe, The Stonehills and many others.

04-02-2008 15:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I would love to see a film on Larrys life. On another thread there was talk about the "passing" of people that affect you .
Larrys passing has left a really weird hole for me- and I wasnt an ardent fan..(never saw him live..dang!) its just that for better or worse- he did spend his entire musical carreer talking about how he was only visiting this planet..and now that his visit is over..

It will be marvelous to interview those who knew and worked with him- at this point I would think all things would be spoken with a gracious tone.
Terry talked early on about Genes demons and struggles..it makes the faith they held more beautiful with time.
Please keep us posted on this venture Audi- as it is a direct link to that band we love that wont go away.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-06-2008 11:36 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Brent17
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by Brent17

Wow, I was sure that was DA backing him at that show. It sounds alot like them at that time. Thanks for the info, though.

I interviewed Randy a couple of months ago and he told me about the movie on Larry. Randy kind of described the movie as looking at their relationship and it being symbolic of Christian music's development through the seventies and eighties.
04-06-2008 23:27 Brent17 is offline Send an Email to Brent17 Search for Posts by Brent17 Add Brent17 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah I believe most of it was filmed, if not all of it, before Larry's passing. I believe the idea was to tell the honest truth, not hide the struggles, because thats part of the heartache. I know in Randy's last interview for the film he broke down and cried.

04-06-2008 23:49 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Amos and Randy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH