Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page iAlarma!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

AND -- I'm old enough that I'm married, have a mortgage, a home recording studio,

As a musician, sure, ...

OK RR-

We can take the hints.
have you recorded anything (at home) since after all..you ARE a musician with a HOME STUDIO??
Would love to hear it.
pm me or announce!

(the shy ones never get heard- its time for some self promotion..most folks have heard my crap-)
lesse whatcha got

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-16-2008 10:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
iAlarma! reminded me of the Talking Heads 77 album, the one with "Who Is It?" on it which DA covered at the time in concert.

a whole LOT like talking heads....
which is just fine... Red Face
but i prefer the ORIGINAL sound the band created with dfbb..... Cool Big Grin Cool Pleased

bobd

04-16-2008 12:00 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

¡take note ... below is not an i but is an upside down exclamation!

¡Alarma!

Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-16-2008 12:04 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

OK I

icheated!

(it just works better with....

iAlarma!

04-16-2008 12:30 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

quote:
Props - vocals flat

I thought I read somewhere that they intentionally recorded it in a key that was too high for Marty...
04-16-2008 17:51 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

.[/quote]

Can we get them to stop using the auto-tune now?[/quote]

First off-

there arent any stupid questions if you really dont know the answer.
What do you mean by that?
Is that what they called the little bleep that used to be at the beginning and/ or end of cassette tapes??
There is this little computerizewd deetle doot deet at the end of many cassettes I bought in the day..

or am I just an old dolt and your talkin bout something completely different.?

04-16-2008 18:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

RE: Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat
Mortal Coil - entire song too dissonant and weird

I always thought the vocals were recorded that way purposefully. I've never read anything to support this (as stated above), but the vocals are part of what I like about the song.

Mortal Coil - I loved that song from the first time I heard it. It's my kind of weird. Big Grin

04-16-2008 18:31 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

RE: Alarma rocks... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
anti-favorites:
Props - vocals flat
Mortal Coil - entire song too dissonant and weird

I always thought the vocals were recorded that way purposefully. I've never read anything to support this (as stated above), but the vocals are part of what I like about the song.

Mortal Coil - I loved that song from the first time I heard it. It's my kind of weird. Big Grin

Those two are favorites of mine! Cool

04-16-2008 20:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by RoxxRegime
quote:
Props - vocals flat

I thought I read somewhere that they intentionally recorded it in a key that was too high for Marty...

Never heard that but, the vocals are the part of the fun for me on that song. Pleased

04-16-2008 20:34 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Alarma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love this one! All of the songs are SOOO DA. You can hear this album on Much of their other works from that point on all the way up to MBD. It seems to me that it helped define the quirkiness that is DA. The songs are incredible. There's only one I'm not crazy about and that is Props. It seems to be out of place with the rest of the tunes. It actually always seemed to be a filler, maybe an outtake from HD. It would have fit better on that album(IMHO).
As far as Mortal Coil, I love that tune. My favs are Through The Speakers & Endless Summer. My only criticism is I do wish the production could have been a bit better. It seems sort thin and bright, but the songs are soooo good that it doesn't really matter.

Is it just me or does this one and Kalhoun seem to be almost sister albums. Good stuff.
04-16-2008 22:02 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

Can we get them to stop using the auto-tune now?

First off-

there arent any stupid questions if you really dont know the answer.
What do you mean by that?
Is that what they called the little bleep that used to be at the beginning and/ or end of cassette tapes??
There is this little computerizewd deetle doot deet at the end of many cassettes I bought in the day..

or am I just an old dolt and your talkin bout something completely different.?

Here, you old dolt!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by PuP: 04-16-2008 22:19.

04-16-2008 22:19 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

you might be surprised about who uses auto tune. there are obvious persons and then there's others you might not even think of.

that's all i have to say about that. Pleased

04-16-2008 22:40 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
you might be surprised about who uses auto tune. there are obvious persons and then there's others you might not even think of.

I didn't know about this. Of course I've heard the Cher 'song'. But the pitch correction part of it is something I should have expected given all that's possible. But this is a bit to robotic sounding to me. Sterile, soul-less 'perfect' vocals. Oh! That explains Celine Dion and why I don't like her. Big Grin

04-16-2008 22:47 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Maybe Marty could have used AutoTune on Props.

Yea, and ruin a great song.

04-16-2008 22:49 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
quote:

I didn't know about this. Of course I've heard the Cher 'song'. But the pitch correction part of it is something I should have expected given all that's possible. But this is a bit to robotic sounding to me. Sterile, soul-less 'perfect' vocals. Oh! That explains Celine Dion and why I don't like her. Big Grin

the cher song was for affect.......there are many many others less well known who use subtle pitch correction (auto tune). and why wouldn't they? people use fake reverb and delay not to mention eq and or chorus. how is auto tune any different? it's not. shine it up........but not to extreme. that's my 2 cents. Big Grin

04-17-2008 00:22 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Auto-Tune Abuse

It took several attempts to get the MP3 to load, but it was enlightening to me since I've never heard most of the songs...

"If you're unfamiliar with Auto-tune, and especially if you listen to much pop and rock, you might not hear it initially. When overdone, the effect yields an unnatural yodel or warble in a singer's voice. But the sound is so commonplace in modern mainstream music that your ears may have tuned out the auto-tune!"

04-17-2008 01:08 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
quote:
quote:

the cher song was for affect.......there are many many others less well known who use subtle pitch correction (auto tune). and why wouldn't they? people use fake reverb and delay not to mention eq and or chorus. how is auto tune any different? it's not. shine it up........but not to extreme. that's my 2 cents. Big Grin

i can sort of see it for fixing one or two pitchy notes....

but in nashville, some of the stories you hear about it are unreal.... until you hear some of those people sing live... then you totally believe they auto-tuned whole albums....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

04-17-2008 05:18 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

It seems funny to me that of the four Alarma albums, the first one is the one that has aged the best. It still sounds fresh, not as dated as the other three.
04-17-2008 07:50 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

I'm a little sympathetic to autotune users. Here's why:

Last night, I was listening to a drum track I just recorded. There were a couple of spots where the timing was a little off, enough to be noticable. The rest of the track was great, and since I have limited recording time, and the track sounded really good (that's hard when you've got one Radio Shack mic on your whole kit), I edited it a little so that it sounds right.

Can I play the drums? Yes.
Could I have nailed it if I had spent more than 20 minutes on the whole drum track? Yes.

Most of my guitar, bass & keyboard tracks are one take. Drums and vocals are more, sometimes spliced together. But I played every bit of those drums, and sang every bit of those vocals. Just maybe not in the order that other people will hear them. Tongue

In a time when integrity seems to not be an issue for many people, I do expect the people on my CD's, mp3's, 8-tracks, etc., to actually be able to sing and play the way their performance sounds on the CD. If not, it's more or less lying.

I think if you're fixing something that you actually can do, but you're jusdt "autotuning" it to save time, why not.

If you can't sing, and you're being promoted as a singer, that's pretty much lying, and you should go sell encyclopedias.

04-17-2008 09:09 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
Auto-Tune Abuse

Wow. Can any of these guys actually sing?

Yet another reason why mainstream music sucks.

04-17-2008 09:13 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » iAlarma!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH