Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What are your Top 5 Daniel Amos albums and (briefly) why?

07-19-2008 03:11 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. Doppelganger. My opinion, this is the best new wave album ever recorded. Very creative, moody, deep, and progressive.
2. Alarma!. As Richard Peace put it in his review back in 1981 in Concert Magazine, "It...is a brash, new, and intensely creative musical experience."
3. Songs of the Heart. I love the concept, and DA executed it with perfection. This album should have sold 500,000 copies for the cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You alone.
4. Mr. Buechner's Dream. Lyrical genius, very forward thinking musically. A bit inconsistant at times, but that is made up for nicely by the large number of songs on the two CDs.
5. MotorCycle. All-around great album. I like how some songs fade into and out of each other (like on side "b" of Shotgun Angel). A little more "pop-ish" than a typical (if there is such a thing) DA album, but done very, very well.

A side note is that I've never heard all of Darn Floor- Big Bite, and I'm sure it would land in my "Top 5" if I had heard it (I can't wait for that rerelease to be done!).

07-19-2008 03:45 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. Darn Floor- Big Bite. "an exercise in discovery a moody, magnificent album which defies easy description. Each listening brings new insights, impressions building up like the coats of lacquer on a Japanese jewel-box."
~Harvest Rock Syndicate Mark Eischer.
No one forgets their first! Big Grin

2.) Fearful Symmetry. "On the surface, Fearful Symmetry, appears to be a fairly simple album. Each song comes across musically straightforward, yet just beneath this calm surface runs a current of amazing intricacy. These ten tunes which seem so simple are alive and teeming with complexity"
Harvest Rock Syndicate.
No one forgets their second! Big Grin

3.iAlarma! "It would be inaccurate to say that Daniel Amos is on the cutting edge of Contemporary Christian music. THe group is far ahead, preparing the way for the knife." CCM Magazine April 1981.
This record still kicks ass!

4) Bibleland. "After the smoothness of Motorcycle, to hear Bibleland is somewhat jarring. It's not just the music, either. The lyrics reflect the rawness and roughness of the music, or vice versa. A few songs are barely listenable to me, including the title cut." posted by John Foxe.
Oh yeah, I loved this one right away! Big Grin

5) Mr Buechner's Dream. "Sounds like … a cornucopia of classic rock sounds: The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Clash, The Wallflowers, and Starflyer 59 to name a few.
At a Glance … this is quite possibly the best work from Terry Scott Taylor and the band, highlighted by strong alternative classic rock and superbly crafted songs. " ChristianityToday.com by Russ Breimeier
"This is the one" indeed. Big Grin

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 07-19-2008 04:36.

07-19-2008 04:27 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Sounds like...Starflyer 59

Or does SF59 sound like DA???

Hummm.....

07-19-2008 06:41 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

My 2c Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. MBD
2. MC
3. SoTH
4. VH
5. Alarma

Blasphemy maybe to those who love DFBB more than me. At last my grades are different than the Dallas dude...
Cool

07-19-2008 11:43 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

1. Motorcycle- Besides the fact that it's filled with absolutely gorgeous songs, they really went all out on the production side of things. Also, the lyrics are amazing (duh). A pop rock masterpiece.

2. Kalhoun- One of the more "rockin'" albums in the DA discography. I love the slightly rootsier feel of this one. Gloryhound is the closest DA ever came to a Stones song.

3. Vox Humana- Despite the dated production, I feel that these are some of the band's best songs. So catchy. This one always makes me feel good. Would love to hear these tunes with a "classic rock" production.

4. Mr. Buechner's Dream- Not only is it a double album, but it's a double album packed with great songs. No filler! For a band this long in the tooth, this album is amazingly strong.

5. Bibleland- By far, the most aggressive DA album. Sometimes bordering on grunge, even noise rock. Probably the most pessimistic, ticked off album Terry's ever made. But there's hope there, too, and some great riffs and melodies. I love this one for the fact that it was such a grower. Took several listens to truly appreciate. The best albums always do.

Edit: I don't own DFBB, nor have I heard most of it. It may very well have been on my list, otherwise.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by James: 07-19-2008 20:05.

07-19-2008 19:01 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:

Hummm.....

uh...thats a big NO! Tongue

anyways.........

1. dfbb
2. the alarma chronicles
3. when everyone wore hats
4. mbd
5. motor cycle

bobd

07-19-2008 19:34 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:

Hummm.....

SF59 sounds like DA, and I am sure DA began to sound like SF59!
May the circle be unbroken!

My Island is very heavily influenced by DA.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 07-20-2008 07:32.

07-20-2008 07:31 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
SF59 sounds like DA, and I am sure DA began to sound like SF59!

I wish DA would make more records to prove or disprove this! Big Grin

Heck, I just want them to make more records! Frown

07-20-2008 07:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

This is tough, since they are all so different, and each one marks a different time in my life. Right now, this would be my list, although ask me tomorrow and it might be different.

1. Mr Buechners Dream
2. Doppelganger
3. Darn Floor
4. Alarma
5. Shotgun Angel

Shotgun's second side is an alltime favorite of mine. Alarma and Doppelganger were huge for me. Central Theme being inspired by a book I like alot, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Ethics" ...Christ in the Center. Mr Bechner's Dream is just so rich, there is so much there. And Darn Floor is just so unique, nothing like it.

I think Starflyer 59 sounds like DA, Jason Martin being a fan and all... and Terry producing Starflyer 59. "Who's Who Here?" was an inside joke between Terry and Jason.

07-20-2008 11:49 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Im weighing in on Horrendous disc-
surprised it hasnt been mentioend.

not my first exposure to DA (SA) - but what a great leap!

my personal would be

HD
MC
MBD
VH

all others make no 5
8-)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-21-2008 09:01 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

My fav's:

1. HD
2. MBD
3. SOTH
4. Kalhoun
5. VH

07-21-2008 09:49 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Ok, in no particular order...

1. Horrendous Disc - because it was my first exposure to DA and the record that showed me Christians could actually make good music. It is so Beatlesque it won me over right away. To my mind it is a pinnacle in CCM.

2. Vox Humana - song for song my favorite. Yes, the production is dated but that only adds to it. Like a future retro thing. Or is it retro future?

3. Shotgun Angel - Again, very Beatlesque, especially with the Side 2 rock opera ala Abbey Road.

4. Darn Floor Big Bite - for its sheer lyrical and musical brilliance. Nothing short of genius.

5. Doppelganger - it's just dang cool, ya know?

Looking back over the list it's easy to see I have an affinity for the 80s DA stuff. I guess because it was the soundtrack to some very spiritually formative years for me. Thanks, Terry and co. for helping me through those years!
07-21-2008 11:28 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Ceremonial Kernel

Using a not-so-scientific method based on the responses so-far, here are the fan favorites:
1 - Mr Buechner's Dream (24 points)
2 - MotorCycle (15 points)
3 - Alarma! (14 points)
4 - Darn Floor - Big Bite (13 points)
5 - Songs of the Heart (12 points)
6 - Horrendous Disc (10 points)
7 - Doppelganger (9 points)
8 - Vox Humana (8 points)
9 - Kalhoun (6 points)
10 - Fearful Symmetry (4 points)
11 - BibleLand (3 points)
12 - Shotgun Angel (1 point)

(Note: Jerry Davison's post was not included in this because we were posting at the same time. Sorry!)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 07-21-2008 11:37.

07-21-2008 11:34 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

SHAHHH..
yer just tryin to make points......

07-21-2008 11:38 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

5. doppelganger

4. kalhoun

3. songs of the heart

2. mr. buechners dream

1. darn floor big bite

Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wes berlin: 07-21-2008 15:58.

07-21-2008 11:43 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

in no particular order.....

Mr Buechner's Dream
Horrendous Disc
Shotgun Angel
Songs of the Heart
BibleLand
07-21-2008 12:44 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Dang! This is hard... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. Darn Floor-Big Bite
2. Mr. Buechner's Dream
3. Motorcycle
4. Fearful Symmetry
5. Alarming Vox Songs of the Doppled Kal-Bible

OK - Now this - Top 5 TST solo projects. I'll let everybody else post theirs first.
07-21-2008 13:49 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

does he even have 5??
Wink

07-21-2008 14:17 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
OK - Now this - Top 5 TST solo projects.

1 - Avocado Faultline
2 - Knowledge & Innocence
3 - A Briefing for the Ascent
4 - LITTLE, big
5 - John Wayne

I guess. They are all good, but in their own (sometimes much different) ways.

07-21-2008 14:37 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH