Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What was the first... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What was the first...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

the first i linked to DA was the single Shotgun Angel- they played it on the local garage CCM station in 79 - when I first tuned in.
got the LP shortly afterward-late 79 or early 80.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-30-2008 19:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh sorry - YES I was hooked right away- it was the quirky CB dude at the end that made me think- hmmmmm - not just country......
when I bout the LP and I heard side 2 of SA- well- ...hmm... NOT JUST COUNTRY!!!!!!

kim - those who may think that early cowboy format was an oddity- bands like Marshall Tucker, Poco, Eagles, Asleep at the wheel, Waylon and Willie etc were all over the regular billbard at the time- so to hear a little twang didnt turn people off the way it may have for those who stepped back to it in the 80s.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-30-2008 19:16 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Score another one for "Shotgun Angel" - first heard it in summer 1982 when WCRM out of Chicagoland played it one afternoon. Yes, I was hooked, but I thought they were a country band - which I totally dug, 'cause I loved country too (US99 was on all the time in my house - you Chicagoites will know what I'm talking about).

I can't recall what was the second ever DA song I heard, but you can bet it was a big surprise, especially since I tended to be a bit cynical about the "new wave" styles at the time. It took a while for me to warm to the first few Alarma! Chronicles songs I heard. But eventually the intelligence and creativity of the music & lyrics won me over.

Cool
07-30-2008 19:30 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
oh sorry - YES I was hooked right away- it was the quirky CB dude at the end that made me think- hmmmmm - not just country......
when I bout the LP and I heard side 2 of SA- well- ...hmm... NOT JUST COUNTRY!!!!!!

kim - those who may think that early cowboy format was an oddity- bands like Marshall Tucker, Poco, Eagles, Asleep at the wheel, Waylon and Willie etc were all over the regular billbard at the time- so to hear a little twang didnt turn people off the way it may have for those who stepped back to it in the 80s.

That is true, a lot of country made it onto pop radio.
Alabama, Juice Newton, Ronnie Milsap to name a few others.

07-31-2008 04:08 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by George

A lot of Shotgun Angels! Nice to know there's a lot of veterans around here.
08-01-2008 07:51 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

I had been a 77's/Choir/Lost dogs fan about five years before I really made the connection to DA, so my first real experience with DA was Our Personal World Favorite Hits (during the time the Alarma box set came out). And all the songs blew me away. I remember thinking Holy Crap, Mall is incredible... Holy Crap, If You Want To rocks... Holy Crap, Darn Floor...!

08-01-2008 11:41 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by George

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
I had been a 77's/Choir/Lost dogs fan about five years before I really made the connection to DA, so my first real experience with DA was Our Personal World Favorite Hits (during the time the Alarma box set came out). And all the songs blew me away. I remember thinking Holy Crap, Mall is incredible... Holy Crap, If You Want To rocks... Holy Crap, Darn Floor...!

Wow--maybe DA anthologies work after all!
08-01-2008 11:43 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

It totally worked for me.

It's kind of funny, I didn't become a Christian until I was 19 (1988 ), so I missed much of this great music as it was happening. And when I started listening to Christian music I started with Keith Green, and then 6-degrees from there: 2nd Chapter>Phil Keaggy>Randy Stonehill>Mark Heard>the Choir>the Lost Dogs... the 77's & Adam Again (not my favorite) were a parallel path at this point (circa Sticks & Stones/88 ). And I spent a lot of time getting all of the backlog of great music from these bands.

Funnily enough, I just assumed that in the Dogs, Mike Roe was thee talent--the pinnacle, with a great co-member of Derri in there as a huge bonus... It just didn't occur to me that there could be in one band another guy who was as friggin' awesome as Mike Roe. It never crossed my mind that this Terry Taylor was anything special!! Not until I was kind of bemoaning the fact that there weren't any other amazing bands like the 7's or the choir did I stumble on Daniel Amos with Our Personal World Favorite Hits, and finally made the connection. It was like God said, "Fool, look what's over here. You been missin' out!" Tongue

08-01-2008 12:39 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What was the first...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH