Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Which album... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Which album...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Which album... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA/TST/Eddies/Dogs have obviously gone through many musical stylings over the course of last 30 years. Which album blind-sided you the most? Threw you for a loop? A nasty curve? I rode with all of the changes in stride myself, but I gotta admit, when I first put SCENIC ROUTES into my car stereo after hurriedly ripping off the cellophane, my mouth was agape for more than a few spins. In light of DAs country roots, it shouldn't have surprised me so much perhaps. Of course, eventually I loved it.
08-01-2008 08:00 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Meat de Farm Beetles. At the time, the only Swirling Eddies song I had heard was Hide The Beer off of some Frontline CD showcasing thier artists. I purchased this thinking it would be something along the same lines. Boy, was I wrong!
Second would be Gift Horse. You know, I got into DA, 77's and The Choir in 2000-2001. I read on-line that Terry, Mike and Derri (plus Gene--I hadn't heard Adam Again yet) had recorded some albums together under the name Lost Dogs. I was expecting some pretty creative/progressive rock--I was so surprised to hear country music!
When I purchased the Alarma Chronicles Book Set, Doppelganger, Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry all took me by surprise, but I loved them from the first spin. BibleLand blind-sides me every time I play it. Shocked

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 08-01-2008 09:11.

08-01-2008 09:10 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Doppel and Bible Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Alarma to Doppelganger: catchy new wave to dark strangeness
Motorcycle to Bibleland: polished Beatlesque-pop to garage grunge

08-01-2008 11:15 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Songs of the Heart. Even though it's friggin' brilliant on so many levels (and has one of my all-time favorite DA songs, "When Everyone Wore Hats") I still can't listen to it all the way through. Terry uses this kind of low mumble to sing in and the songs are just plain weird for the most part. It's very Zappa-esque to me. But like I said, it's still brilliant.
08-01-2008 11:52 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Woolly Eggwhisk

SotH vocals Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

With his mostly-spoken vocals, he was speaking as if he were "Bud". Not even reviewers got the point Terry was trying to make. The only thing negative I'll say are two songs that just don't work for me:

'Can't Take My Eyes...' - maybe because it's a rare one Terry didn't write and so it doesn't really seem to be a pure DA song. It's almost like it doesn't quite belong. Sorry, I know this is a fav with some...

'Turn This Off' - because it's so raucous and hard. I get the gist, because Bud is complaining about that very thing. Still it does not sound pleasing to the ear.

That said, SotH is absolutely brilliant, off-beat, and moving. Plus it has some of the best songs Terry has ever composed (Glory Road, WEWH, Sins of the Fathers, Organ bar.)

Overall, once the listener understands the concept, the whole recording works better.

Pleased

08-01-2008 12:37 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
The only thing negative I'll say are two songs that just don't work for me:

'Can't Take My Eyes...' - maybe because it's a rare one Terry didn't write and so it doesn't really seem to be a pure DA song. It's almost like it doesn't quite belong. Sorry, I know this is a fav with some...

It's one of my favorites.
It surprises me that a rock band--any rock band--would cover Can't Take My Eyes Off of You . But DA did so with complete brilliance and even made it fit into the lyrical theme of the album. I believe Terry Taylor is one of a small few that could pull it off, which demonstrates his genius.

08-01-2008 13:20 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

for me I would have to also say SOTH

after a 7 year haitus from all things TST
OE (1989 )

to seeing SOTH at a discount store-
( I got in 1996) I thought

"hmm- I remember them! wonder what DAniel AMos is up too?"

when Terry started to speaksing after track one (and I recall right afterward I read a rumored review that he blew out his vocal chords or some such nonsense..and had no voice left . Anyone else recall that?)

I liked (most of it) for its quirkiness-(remember my last dip was OE) but in all honesty thought it was the swansong for the boys.
THe whole Bud and Irma idea seemed like a last gasp into a forgotten era not for us only- but maybe for them too.

Next up I got John Wayne- and put that crazzzee thought to bed.
I then got up to speed with KAlhoun , MC and BL- things I had not heard during my absence.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
08-01-2008 15:42 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

SotH @ c-stone Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah I saw Terry&Friends at Cornerstone '97. Before the show started they were playing SofH as background music. Then Terry came on and at some point mentioned that sales weren't very good probably because there were a couple of old people on the cover.

I had no idea right off that these two people were bogus. I heard later that Terry saw a cover of these two people, and decided to build a fictitious story around them. I heard another story that Tom Howard dropped by during recording and remembered those people from real life.

Very cool.
Cool

08-01-2008 17:12 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Shotgun Angel.

I had Darn Floor and FS. I also had the swirling eddies stuff.

I had no idea that DA had country roots at all.

08-01-2008 21:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: SotH @ c-stone Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Yeah I saw Terry&Friends at Cornerstone '97. Before the show started they were playing SofH as background music. Then Terry came on and at some point mentioned that sales weren't very good probably because there were a couple of old people on the cover.

I looked at the old people on the cover and put the CD back on the shelf!

Shocked

08-01-2008 21:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

SOTH's album cover didn't do the band any favors, that's for sure. Musically, it took me quite a while to warm up to that one. So of all the DA albums, I'd say that one threw me for a loop the most.
08-01-2008 21:33 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by George

The SOTH cover drew me, actually. I laughed when I saw it. Thought it was kind of a tongue-in-cheeky kinda thing. Yet nothing in the music pokes fun at that cover aesthetic. So that was surprising. But then I played it and I was actually mesmerized right off the bat--though it wasn't what I expected. Absolutely NOTHING about it attempted to succeed in a market place. Which, of course, struck me as very cool. Certainly there isn't a less commercial DA record, right? I imagine it must have sold less than any other DA record.
08-01-2008 23:59 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Darn Floor threw me for a loop. It was my first DA record and I don't know what I expected.
Howvere it was pretty much anything but that.

I had LSU's Shaded Pain and I pretty much "got" that record.
It was "hip." It was badass.

But Darn Floor did not have what sounded to my ears like a pan flute either.
Pan flutes are never "hip." Pan flutes are not badass.

The music, the lyrics, the artwork... none of it made sense.
My 20 year old mind was blown.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 08-02-2008 00:51.

08-02-2008 00:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

The SotH cover made me briefly hesitate, but did not stop me from purchasing the album. I think people who didn't know who DA was probably passed over the CD.
They may have wondered if it was really Danielle & Amos instead of Daniel Amos.

08-02-2008 00:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I was already buying Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits
as well as Vox Humana.
It seems I was also picking up that live Choir CD too.

SotH just kinda lost out.

I had skipped out on BibleLand as I thought it seemed too "Youth Groupie"
for my taste.
Shows what I knew! Tongue

When I finally did purchase BibleLand it threw me for a loop how much I liked it right away.

Most DA records need some time to digest it, for me anyways.

08-02-2008 01:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
The SotH cover made me briefly hesitate, but did not stop me from purchasing the album. I think people who didn't know who DA was probably passed over the CD.
They may have wondered if it was really Danielle & Amos instead of Daniel Amos.

I think the song "My Hand to God" made me decide not to buy it at the time either.

I thought it was a praise and worship tune! Shocked

08-02-2008 01:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
I thought it was a praise and worship tune!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm not big into the whole "praise and worship" craze in CCM right now, but the City On A Hill series is pretty good (you know, for what it is).

I actually purchased the first CoaH album before I knew who The Choir was.

08-02-2008 01:19 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Yeah... I have the At The Foot of the Cross CD.
I enjoy it a lot. Pleased

No City On A Hill stuff, however. Tongue

08-02-2008 01:23 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I actually purchased the first CoaH album before I knew who The Choir was.

Wow! Shocked

08-02-2008 01:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I know, off topic a little, but my first Choir album was Free Flying Soul, which I found (in 2001) in the discount bin at a CBS for $5, I think. I quickly followed that with Flap Your Wings, which I didn't like as much, and (Youth Choir) Voices in Shadows, which I really liked right away, but I like it less as time has passed. Live at Cornerstone 2000 (Plugged) followed not long afterward. I purchased O How The Mighty Have Fallen shortly after it was released, and it stands as my favorite Choir album. I managed to get copies of Chase The Kangaroo and Wide Eyed Wonder within the last year, and I'm still digesting them.

08-02-2008 01:39 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Which album...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH