Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 30 31 [32] 33 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary 8 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.008 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Got the cd, listened to it for the first time last night (and I'm listening to it right now). I could try to describe it but I don't think I could ever succeed. Wow, it's wonderfully incredible! I feel like koko trying to sign the earthquake experience....
And I have to wonder how Terry and company were able to move forward after completing such a masterpiece. They could have said, "This is the zenith, now we'll find something else to do." (Thankfully, they didn't!)
The amazing thing to me is how fresh it still sounds. I mean, if I didn't know any better, I might think DA recorded this just this year. The album is unique musically and very deep lyrically, and there is still nothing really like it today. Maybe some have come close, but no cigar! How this sold less than 10,000 copies on it's first run is beyond me (hey, I was only seven years old, so you can't blame me).
Terry and Greg's genius was fully flowing (at a level perhaps not seen before or since), Tim (as always) was incredible and Ed, maybe the most underrated drummer ever, was great.
For anyone who has not yet purchased this album--maybe has never heard it--if you found a copy for $39.99 it would be worth every penny. So what's keeping you from forking over $17?

I couldn't agree more with the above! Especially how it still sounds fresh. First listen I thought there was a certain 80's sound-it fit into 1987. But every listen after you can hear the experimental pop 60's influences, plus other music style too. Plus the lyric content is great and the overall theme-I would almost dare call Terry a Christian mystic from this! (Well, I just did!) Been almost listneing to that alone since I got it and still want to keep it spinning.

Red Face Pleased Sorry for gusshing. Its just nice to find myself excited over an album again.

me-is-e
12-05-2008 08:41 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Got the cd, listened to it for the first time last night (and I'm listening to it right now). I could try to describe it but I don't think I could ever succeed. Wow, it's wonderfully incredible! I feel like koko trying to sign the earthquake experience....
And I have to wonder how Terry and company were able to move forward after completing such a masterpiece. They could have said, "This is the zenith, now we'll find something else to do." (Thankfully, they didn't!)
The amazing thing to me is how fresh it still sounds. I mean, if I didn't know any better, I might think DA recorded this just this year. The album is unique musically and very deep lyrically, and there is still nothing really like it today. Maybe some have come close, but no cigar! How this sold less than 10,000 copies on it's first run is beyond me (hey, I was only seven years old, so you can't blame me).
Terry and Greg's genius was fully flowing (at a level perhaps not seen before or since), Tim (as always) was incredible and Ed, maybe the most underrated drummer ever, was great.
For anyone who has not yet purchased this album--maybe has never heard it--if you found a copy for $39.99 it would be worth every penny. So what's keeping you from forking over $17?

since you asked ... Red Face Tongue

DFBB was the item that finally got me to download Audacity and figure out how to convert cassettes to MP3 on my computer. We had a car with a cassette player, but it was totaled by my wife. The small home stereo we had had both tape decks quit working. i was suffering from cassette withdrawal. As I understand it, my MP3s are probably better than the original issue CD because of the sound level problem anyway. I have Vox Humana, DFBB, Motorcycle, and Bibleland converted in this manner. I have them on the same MP3 disc in the car as Daniel Amos, Shotgun Angel, Alarma, Fearful Symmetry, Kalhoun, SOTH/WEWH, and MBD that came from CD. If I'm not thinking about it, the sound quality difference is minimal (192 kbps MP3s). The only one I can really tell a difference on is Motorcycle because it was about half worn out and even then it's only in certain spots. The others I converted with no or minimal plays. Doppelganger and HD I have converted from LP and they don't sound quite as good as the cassette conversions. I don't listen to music around the house much and even if I did, with 3 kids running around there's only so much sound quality you will hear.

So, why would I pay more for something I have already been listening to when it will likely be cheaper in the not too distant future? I'm weary of buying everything put out here if I don't need it or fully want it. I'm getting too many physical CDs and this DFBB reissue is not fully available for download either (only disc 1, not bonus disc). furthermore, i dislike the paper CD case and prefer a traditional jewel case. silly? maybe so. but it's me. Smile maybe i will just turn into the 21st century "wacky fan" Shocked Red Face Tongue Big Grin

now, i just need to get back to my cassette conversion project and finish it. i got a used dolby deck for $20 and i'm not satisfied that the Sony Boom box isn't better quality. Frown and i've got some 77s, Mark Heard, and Adam Again cassettes that await conversion too ...

the Mark Heard i have mostly never heard Tongue Big Grin

so far the only cassettes i converted i didn't like were from cassettes 3/4+ worn out. the ones that come to mind are Phil Keaggy's Crimson and Blue (have Blue on CD anyway - found it on sale for maybe $7 and had to have the Badfinger song) and Rich Mullins' Songs. now there's some things i might need to get on CD. i had PK's time vol 1 and 2 cassettes stolen once and the only rich mullins i have on CD is the Jesus record. those are perfect examples of what I might rather buy now than the new DFBB, besides recently getting boxset 1 and 2 CDs of all of Led Zeppelin's catalog for $20 and most of SRV's for less than $25. If DFBB had already been available I might have already purchased it instead before I ran across the SRV stuff. oh well. timing is everything.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 12-05-2008 10:30.

12-05-2008 10:29 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

I can understand where Mountain Fan is coming from in that I've converted some old vinyl and cassettes to mp3 myself. Most of it is obscure, out-of-print type stuff that cannot be found on CD at all. Now having it as mp3s, the few I could get elsewhere I don't get in as big a hurry to do it. (And some of it how I wish I could find perfect quality recordings easily available and at a reasonable price!) There were also an unusally high number of great releases this year that I've bought, plus we have a lot of unexpected bills to handle right now. Just good reasons to have me being careful about media buying right now.

This reissue of DFBB is my first experience with it and I am just really overall happy with what's there in every way.

Tongue Really not trying to sound defensive or anything like that here. Just want to keep the positive statements coming for this as I just think it merits them.

me-is-e
12-05-2008 11:28 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

You can do whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me.

With that said, in my opinion, the 2nd disc is worth $17. The Terry interview is extremely interesting and insightful and might be worth the $17 in and of itself.

You might have good equipment and skills to use said equipment, but my expierence (with two friends) with converting tapes to mp3 is that there is a lack in sound qualitiy that is quite noticable (to me). I'd guess, although I could be very wrong, that if you heard the remastered DFBB CD and compared it to the DFBB mp3's you have, you'd notice a significant difference.

But, like I said, you can do whatever pleases you and it makes no difference to me.

12-05-2008 11:39 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Yeah, a reissue isn't for everyone. Thats ok. Thats part of the difficulty for a lot of companies in pouring money into a reissue - they don't know how many people will still want it. For us, its really a labor of love.. we want to see these albums available again in a package that the fans will love and can make the band proud.

It's sort of like Terry's response here on the board to a few that didn't like Little Big being an EP. We make it for those that want it, not for those that don't. The bottom line is ... if you don't care about it, then move on to something else. If you missed it the first time, or you just want an upgrade in quality.. or you just want the bonus material... or its your favorite album and you want a quality reissue.. then its for you. Go for it. Don't wait for it to be $80 on ebay.

We like to hear reviews from the folks that did purchase it. Anytime something is put together, we all get kind of anxious to hear what folks think. Its actually kind of frustrating to some of the band members at times when they put something out and hear nothing for the first week or two. Thats what these "upcoming releases" and "reviews" forums are for... to hear from the folks that are interested and hear what they think of the final release.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-05-2008 11:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
We like to hear reviews from the folks that did purchase it. Anytime something is put together, we all get kind of anxious to hear what folks think. Its actually kind of frustrating to some of the band members at times when they put something out and hear nothing. Thats what these "upcoming releases" and "reviews" forums are for... to hear from the folks that are interested and hear what they think of the final release.

Breathtaking!!

12-05-2008 11:52 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

I wish I could listen to mine, but I'll have to wait 20 more days until Christmas. It's not the end of the world to have to wait for something anyway.

12-05-2008 13:38 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
quote:
We like to hear reviews from the folks that did purchase it. Anytime something is put together, we all get kind of anxious to hear what folks think. Its actually kind of frustrating to some of the band members at times when they put something out and hear nothing. Thats what these "upcoming releases" and "reviews" forums are for... to hear from the folks that are interested and hear what they think of the final release.

Breathtaking!!

DFBB is playing on my way to work and back most every day, over and over, that's the hit parade for me. It's a well rounded work: writing, production and plenty of innovation by the guys without losing the quality; and it seems an extra effort on the vocals by that master lyricist TST. This album deserves all the accolades and attention it can get.

Psalm 119:83
12-05-2008 15:09 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

I will admit that when DFBB was first released back in '87, I listened to it all the way through on nearly a daily basis (and often twice in a single day) for close to a full year - it's that good!
12-05-2008 16:36 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
I will admit that when DFBB was first released back in '87, I listened to it all the way through on nearly a daily basis (and often twice in a single day) for close to a full year - it's that good!

at first i was like, "what the heck is this?" Confused
it sounds nothing like anything else Da has done...
but this one grows on you.....
it took several years, but it was eventually BY FAR my favorite Da release.... Pleased

Cool
12-05-2008 16:51 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Just wanna say I'm thrilled with the DFBB reissue (it was only DA I didn't have). Love the sound, love the packaging, love the bonus disc. Thanks to everyone involved and KEEP 'EM COMIN'!
12-05-2008 17:41 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Thanks for another great rerelease Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This is very very cool. I do have an original cd from 20 years ago and remember listening in my car outside of Biola where I purchased it.

The sound is great and the packaging is first class. Worth price of admission: Terry's interview and the liner notes. Enhanced CD. Remixes.

Thanks to those that put in the time on this. Most companies are still just putting out cheap rereleases if they put out anything at all. Thanks for keeping the DA rerelease first class.
12-05-2008 18:00 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

I'm still waiting for mine (it has only been a couple-ish weeks since I ordered), and I can't wait to hear it. You guys are killing me with your reviews!

I just think we're so lucky to have bands like the 7's, DA & the Choir still making music for us. I mean really, Holy Ghost Building, Midget & a DFBB remastered reissue in the span of one year? Imagine if all you had to look forward to was the latest Third Day release and a remastered reissue of Sandy Patti or Leon Patillo!! I think I just threw up a little.

12-08-2008 09:47 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
Imagine if all you had to look forward to was the latest Third Day release and a remastered reissue of Sandy Patti or Leon Patillo!! I think I just threw up a little.

would you say it was a patti or a patillo?

sorry bad habit - when the pets barf there is some primordial interest to see what came up... please continue

Psalm 119:83
12-08-2008 14:55 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by joey

at first i was like, "what the heck is this?" Confused
it sounds nothing like anything else Da has done...
but this one grows on you.....
it took several years, but it was eventually BY FAR my favorite Da release.... Pleased

Most of my favorite albums start off that way. I hear them and my initial reaction is "Oh, what fresh hell is this?" but there's something inside of it that grabs me and I go back to it. Then I get hooked. Doppelganger was exactly that way. If you could get through "Hollow Man" without stopping the album, you could get on the wavelength.

Darn Floor, on the other hand, came no growing required. I was tired of the synth-rock sound, not necessarily with DA but in popular music overall. Having this crazy burst of guitar rock tumble out of the turntable was exactly what I was hoping to hear at that moment.
12-08-2008 15:03 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
Imagine if all you had to look forward to was the latest Third Day release and a remastered reissue of Sandy Patti or Leon Patillo!! I think I just threw up a little.

would you say it was a patti or a patillo?

sorry bad habit - when the pets barf there is some primordial interest to see what came up... please continue

I'd say a patti, but it was chunky and it tasted like this:

...which reminds me of the worst album cover ever:

At least Boz had some good tunes!

12-09-2008 09:48 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

hey-i will listen to David Meece even now..
He was the Alien!..

still waiting on the fresh version of DFBB

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 12-09-2008 20:48.

12-09-2008 20:47 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Banophernalia's Latest Self Serving Review of a DA Thingy

Wrote this up and realized I'd not uploaded the review. Because I like this album a lot, this isn't the most subjective bit I've written ...

12-13-2008 03:04 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

(Talking about the interview and rough demos on disc 2) "they're a wondrous lens into the band's creative process and give a behind the scenes tour on how this album came to be. While it may be something you'd think would only appeal to the hard core fan, it's akin to getting a director's commentary for the album with some cool deleted scenes. While it may not get may repeated listenings it's worth having."

I have a few DVD's that show in the bonus features the storyboards of the movies during their conceptions (Monsters Inc comes to mind). I find these very fascinating--even as interesting as the movies themselves.
The interview and interspersed demos on disc 2 are like that. I've listened to them three times and my ears are just glued to the speakers--it's incredibly interesting! And after the 20 or so minute interview is over, I can't help but feel disappointed that another 20 minutes of interviews don't follow.

12-13-2008 03:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
bryang
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 12-13-2008

I've been waiting for this for at least a year, if not longer. When I first heard it was coming out in a reissue, I signed up over at Arena Rock to be notified. When it came out originally, I wore the cassette completely out from constant playing.

Fast forward, 20 years later, I suddenly was looking through a box of Christian contemporary music cassettes (of which Daniel Amos didn't easily fit into that category, thank the Lord God above-- really) and came across the cassette. I looked online for it and found it one place on Amazon for $100, I believe, and that wasn't even a CD, but a cassette. Yikes. I'm into Daniel Amos, but that much? I hoped that an affordable alternative would be found soon and am thankful one was found.

While I am disappointed that the first CD is so short, under 40 minutes, I am definitely not disappointed with the music that is on there. It brings back such good memories. I'll be honest, I don't know if as a teenager that I realized about what Terry was writing. However, that's part of the reason I liked it-- and still do.

I also didn't realize the connection with Milosz, who is one of my favorite poets.
'
As for the second disc, since I just got it earlier this week, I haven't had a chance to put it in the computer yet. I just listened to the interview though with Terry and completely agree with anyone and everyone who said that was worth the price of the two CDs.

Thank you to all involved with Darn Floor, Big Bite, the first time and for those bringing it back into our consciousness a second time. In a time when much "Christian contemporary music" sucked (and now, it's even worse, in my estimation), I was-- and am thankful-- for Daniel Amos being there for those of who were-- and are-- not content with the hackneyed expressions of faith that is heard so often in "CCM."

In Xto,
Bryan
12-13-2008 15:08 bryang is offline Send an Email to bryang Homepage of bryang Search for Posts by bryang Add bryang to your Buddy List
Pages (33): « first ... « previous 30 31 [32] 33 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Darn Floor Big Bite 20th Anniversary

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH