Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Would CDs on demand ever be considered?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
maybe when the next title is announced you should consider some kind of special sales deal and capture some of the $ associated with the rarity of DA recordings. for example, you could say up front that the price will increase for the last 100, then 50, then 10 copies of a title you have left?! that might encourage people to order sooner instead of later.

Dude, you are the most passive-aggressive person I've ever seen.
06-03-2009 20:54 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
maybe when the next title is announced you should consider some kind of special sales deal and capture some of the $ associated with the rarity of DA recordings. for example, you could say up front that the price will increase for the last 100, then 50, then 10 copies of a title you have left?! that might encourage people to order sooner instead of later.

i actually thought it was a pretty fine suggestion. Roll Eyes

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
06-03-2009 22:18 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure you did.
06-03-2009 22:23 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure you did.

Roll Eyes why fool around with passive-aggressive crap? if you got something to say, speak your mind. i say you would fit well with the Peanut's Lucy trying to give "psychiatric help" for 5c and your qualifications are probably similar! Tongue

it really is a good idea. why sit around and bemoan rare CDs going up in price? why not run the store to take advantage of the natural progression of increased prices when supply is running low? makes perfect sense to me.

after all, terry occasionally sells OOP stuff from his personal collection on ebay, which is similar.

Got a few miles left ...

06-04-2009 09:37 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Terry usually sells signed copies or test pressings or his personal cassette demos, tour guitars and things of that nature on ebay.

06-04-2009 10:04 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Its one thing to set something up as an auction - where people can bid whatever they want for some rare item. Its another thing to sell something at an unnecessarily high price that, while it may be out of print at the moment, is not gone for good. The goal is to never have a "last 50 to 100 copies." Most of the time, things are reprinted before we get that low.. its just the occasional hicup that causes something like DA 30th to go out of stock temporarily.

True collector's items have always been priced a little higher when they're available.. but the regular albums shouldn't be sold to folks at unreasonable prices just because its gone temporarily and someone will pay it. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to do it, it just doesn't seem right to me. Typically, if we price something higher than normal its because it cost us more to get it in stock.

When we first started talking to Larry about doing a Deluxe Horrendous Disc we had mentioned that we wanted to keep the cost down for folks... hopefully price it in the $15-20 range. His reaction was something like "we could charge anything for it and people would pay it!" He wanted to go more in the $30-40 range. He's right that people would pay it, but is that really what this is about? Charging as much as possible because people will pay it? You have to make your money back and make a profit, but at some point it just becomes gouging.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-04-2009 10:06 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Roll Eyes why fool around with passive-aggressive crap? if you got something to say, speak your mind.

[little dumbo voicee] AAAAA-MEN! Pleased [/little dumbo voice]

Cool
06-04-2009 11:12 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:

Roll Eyes why fool around with passive-aggressive crap? if you got something to say, speak your mind.

[little dumbo voicee] AAAAA-MEN! Pleased [/little dumbo voice]

Well, passive-aggressiveness is when people make little snide comments and innuendo, some people do that and think they are speaking their mind. Its usually a cowards way of making their point because they don't have the facts to back up their accusation, they dont' want to stand behind what they say if they say it bluntly, so they insinuate things without actually saying it.

Its like someone saying that they buy their CDs through another source where they know the money gets to Terry. (Which we've had people say.) They passive-aggressively make the insinuation that the money from here doesn't get to Terry, instead of making the outright accusation that it doesn't.

It could be something as simple as a 'roll of the eyes' after someone makes a statement. That is a passive-aggressive way to say that you don't believe what the other person is saying without 'speaking your mind' directly and calling them a liar.

06-04-2009 13:09 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

I think Red Face is more passive aggressive than Roll Eyes

one you can't tell if they're joking or not, the other is obviously annoyed.

06-04-2009 13:31 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

let's start talking about smilies now...

06-04-2009 13:32 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Red Face

Tongue

some times smilies are a way of telling some people they just need to lighten up.......

Cool
06-04-2009 13:34 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

Sure, a passive-aggresive way. Wink

06-04-2009 13:38 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool

Cool
06-04-2009 13:49 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Tongue

Roll Eyes

Mad

06-04-2009 14:41 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pleased

Cool
06-04-2009 15:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

quote:

it really is a good idea.

No, no it's not. I appreciate your sentiment...at least I suppose I do. I guess your intent is to either create awareness that the CD is about to sell out or drum up more cash for Terry and the gang. I guess. Or you are trying to make it seem like you are interested in Terry and the gang in getting money out of the rarer items instead of Ebay sellers. Which is appreciated.

But I don't think it's a good idea for the simple fact that it goes against the economics of our society as a whole. I am sure there is an economic term for what you are proposing...the idea that as the stock of a particular product gets lower you start to charge more for it. Unless you are operating Rad Rockers, I don't see where that has a place in the American economic system.

It would be like you going to the store to buy a DVD and you see that now the DVD is $20.00 more than it was yesterday. Why? The store only has five copies left and they used to have a hundred. Now you have to pay more to get it. In what society does that seem like a good idea?

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fanwhy sit around and bemoan rare CDs going up in price? why not run the store to take advantage of the natural progression of increased prices when supply is running low? makes perfect sense to me.

The only one bemoaning at this point is you. I said go ahead and put your CD set up for sale on Ebay. audiori says you have that right, and people are free to pay what they feel is right for it, he just reminds everybody that the set will come back in stock. Who is sitting around and bemoaning at this point?

And if they did do your pricing plan on the DA 30th Anniversary set, how would that help people who missed out on it? And by your statements, you apparently feel everybody had an equal opportunity to buy a copy in 2006 and for those who didn't lock in on a preorder right away should be forced to pay higher prices as the preorder copies start to run short. Perhaps not everybody shared the same opportunities as you. Perhaps in my analogy above, you couldn't get to the store to pick up the DVD before it was down to the last five copies for reasons beyond your control. You have no idea what was going on for me in 2006 or for anybody else for that matter, and it's none of your business, but to assume everybody had the same chance like you is a bit short sighted.

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fanafter all, terry occasionally sells OOP stuff from his personal collection on ebay, which is similar.

If Terry wants to put up the three disc edition of DA 30th Anniversary Special, I'd be delighted to bid on his auction because at least I know the money is going back to support him.

That's not to say I wouldn't consider bidding on your auction if you do decide to sell it, but I wouldn't bemoan it if I was outbid by somebody who wanted to pay more.

That is if you ever get around to putting it up.

upload photos to paste code
06-04-2009 18:23 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

We can't have nice things.
06-04-2009 19:18 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I don't have nice things.

Red Face

...wait, that's passive-aggressive. I mean:

Frown

Big Grin

06-04-2009 19:33 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DrDanAmos
quote:

it really is a good idea.

No, no it's not. I appreciate your sentiment...at least I suppose I do. I guess your intent is to either create awareness that the CD is about to sell out or drum up more cash for Terry and the gang. I guess. Or you are trying to make it seem like you are interested in Terry and the gang in getting money out of the rarer items instead of Ebay sellers. Which is appreciated.

But I don't think it's a good idea for the simple fact that it goes against the economics of our society as a whole. I am sure there is an economic term for what you are proposing...the idea that as the stock of a particular product gets lower you start to charge more for it. Unless you are operating Rad Rockers, I don't see where that has a place in the American economic system.

It would be like you going to the store to buy a DVD and you see that now the DVD is $20.00 more than it was yesterday. Why? The store only has five copies left and they used to have a hundred. Now you have to pay more to get it. In what society does that seem like a good idea?

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fanwhy sit around and bemoan rare CDs going up in price? why not run the store to take advantage of the natural progression of increased prices when supply is running low? makes perfect sense to me.

The only one bemoaning at this point is you. I said go ahead and put your CD set up for sale on Ebay. audiori says you have that right, and people are free to pay what they feel is right for it, he just reminds everybody that the set will come back in stock. Who is sitting around and bemoaning at this point?

And if they did do your pricing plan on the DA 30th Anniversary set, how would that help people who missed out on it? And by your statements, you apparently feel everybody had an equal opportunity to buy a copy in 2006 and for those who didn't lock in on a preorder right away should be forced to pay higher prices as the preorder copies start to run short. Perhaps not everybody shared the same opportunities as you. Perhaps in my analogy above, you couldn't get to the store to pick up the DVD before it was down to the last five copies for reasons beyond your control. You have no idea what was going on for me in 2006 or for anybody else for that matter, and it's none of your business, but to assume everybody had the same chance like you is a bit short sighted.

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fanafter all, terry occasionally sells OOP stuff from his personal collection on ebay, which is similar.

If Terry wants to put up the three disc edition of DA 30th Anniversary Special, I'd be delighted to bid on his auction because at least I know the money is going back to support him.

That's not to say I wouldn't consider bidding on your auction if you do decide to sell it, but I wouldn't bemoan it if I was outbid by somebody who wanted to pay more.

That is if you ever get around to putting it up.

hello?! ever heard of the law of supply-and-demand?! i think they still cover that somewhere in jr high (or middle school). if the law of supply and demand is ignored, then followed logically that goes toward price controls because it just isn't "fair" to charge more for something when less copies are available. waaaaahhhh! Baby

in the DA store setting, it could lead to reduced revenue for the store and more for others selling via ebay or whatever. of course it's not my store and the audi bros are the experts on their clientele and what their predilections are. maybe they estimate a price raise on dwindling supply would just tick people off and cause them NOT to order. or maybe they and/or terry just think something like that is not fair. whatever. but, the bottom line is it seems no matter what the desire is to keep things in print they are always going out for awhile.

in a general sense if there are a gazillion titles of something popular printed and the big-box store has some left they have to actually lower the price to clear them out because the market is saturated. however, the DA store never prints a gazillion titles of anything and it seems the market is continuing to hold up well, as evidenced by prices rising for used copies of a title when the DA store runs out of the new version. this difference has been noted many times by the a-bros.

i make no assumptions about who had the chance to order or pre-order originally or not. i have missed out on things during turbulent periods in my life too. that is in the past and just doesn't matter. life is just not fair. if the store progressively charged more for the disc, it would presumably take longer to sell out and at least give a few people that really valued it more highly the chance to support Terry before only having the option to support an individual reseller, or not even have it available anywhere. then again, if people knew it was about to run out it might sell out quicker, even at increased prices. human behaviour can certainly be interesting.

i'm not sure if i will get around to it to list mine before the a-bros decide what to do with the preorder bonus tracks. i've bought plenty of things on ebay and amazon but haven't listed any. if anybody were to walk up and hand me $500 for the 3-disc set i would agree in a heartbeat, though.

Got a few miles left ...

06-05-2009 12:12 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DrDanAmos DrDanAmos is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-628.gif

Registration Date: 09-06-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DrDanAmos

quote:

hello?! ever heard of the law of supply-and-demand?! i think they still cover that somewhere in jr high (or middle school). if the law of supply and demand is ignored, then followed logically that goes toward price controls because it just isn't "fair" to charge more for something when less copies are available. waaaaahhhh! Baby

Now you are just being very rude, and I will not give the rest of your post my consideration.

I did read, however, the first paragraph.

I understand supply and demand. Let's go back to DVDs as an example...just another media format. Criterion Collection often releases their titles in limited runs, and their prices reflect this. That is why one title can go for $35.99 in some instances. Because it is limited, because there is a high demand for it. I understand supply and demand, sir. And it's not a law. It's just a way to ensure that they make a reasonable profit off of it since it is limited and they aren't mass producing their DVDs like Knocked Up or some mainstream title.

What Criterion does NOT do is jack the price up on the DVD as the stock gets lower and lower. Why? Because they knew going in that it would be limited. They knew going in that there would be a high demand for it. They adjusted the price from the onset to reflect this.

It stands to reason that the powers that be that decide the price of the CDs on the web store understand this and also price their CDs accordingly. They have no quantifiable need to raise the price on the item as the stock gets lower and lower.

So, in reflection...your idea still is not good.

upload photos to paste code

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by DrDanAmos: 06-05-2009 19:33.

06-05-2009 17:49 DrDanAmos is offline Send an Email to DrDanAmos Search for Posts by DrDanAmos Add DrDanAmos to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Would CDs on demand ever be considered?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH