Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
quote:
Originally posted by sondance

now before we go on i must take exception to a previous comment in passing regarding the electric hendrix... "hippie audience"?! where do you think Jesus freaks came from, boarding schools?

didnt know christians or the jesus freaks had come from hendrix.

But on the music side I thought that the beatles was their major influence. Even DA has a major influence of the Eagles, beatles, and E.L.O. on horrendous disc. Their first album was country. Their second album is similar to SGT peppers on the Bside. Later they were more of a pop group and then alternative. Love song also had a beatles influence.

I dont know many christian bands from the 70's and 80's so I cant talk much about that. Maybe someone can help here.

Yes please, refresh Ken on the history of DA.

03-15-2010 13:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yup, well had some info going down here on that subject but then the little clicky mousey thingie went and clicked and closed the damb window, losing 20 minutes of tappety tap. i think it must be a SW problem, soft in the head Smile
i'll try again later...

Psalm 119:83
03-15-2010 14:48 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but since Mike Roe posted it on FB, I thought I would post it here too. I just can't stop watching it. It feels like a drug and I keep playing it over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9fOcIzYNQI'm gonna booglarize you.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
03-15-2010 17:18 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

that was primodial

surprise to all: the least funky, most hairy, of the beasts is playing some single pickyup gold tone gibson - i'd bet money that is the same guitar Jerry C. was playing when he started up with jubal's, i'll try to find it on line. I don't think it was a les paul, weren't they all double pickyups?

03-15-2010 23:35 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-302.jpg

Registration Date: 06-28-2002

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but since Mike Roe posted it on FB, I thought I would post it here too. I just can't stop watching it. It feels like a drug and I keep playing it over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9fOcIzYNQI'm gonna booglarize you.

The moon was a drip on a dark hood
'N they were drivin' around 'n around
Vital Willy tol' Weepin' Milly
I'm gonna booglarize you baby
If I can find ah place t' park my machine
Out ah town
Milly tol' Willy come on over t'my house
I'll slow your machine right down
'Cause listen Vitals gives me the Willies
Drivin' around 'n around
Drivin' around n' around
If you keep beatin' around the bush
You'll lose your push
If you keep beatin' around the bush
You'll lose your push
The moon was ah drip on ah dark hood
The moon was ah drip on ah dark hood
'N they were drivin' around 'n around
Tush tush
Bogota boogie
Tush tush
Bogota boogie around
There ain't no place t' stop around
Bogota boogie said Weepin' Milly
Now Willy come over t' my place
'N I'll slow you right down
You lose your push tush
When you beat around the bush
If you act reserved
I know somebody payin' for your parkin' place
You gotta take your space
Tush tush
You lose your push
When you beat around
When you beat around
When you beat around the bush
Bogota boogie
Bogota boogie

yeah...
jeffrey k.

03-15-2010 23:38 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
that was primodial

surprise to all: the least funky, most hairy, of the beasts is playing some single pickyup gold tone gibson - i'd bet money that is the same guitar Jerry C. was playing when he started up with jubal's, i'll try to find it on line. I don't think it was a les paul, weren't they all double pickyups?

looks like it was the pre '63 Melody Maker - a single cutaway, before they changed it to a double cutaway that looked like an SG.

03-15-2010 23:51 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
quote:
that was primodial

looks like it was the pre '63 Melody Maker - a single cutaway, before they changed it to a double cutaway that looked like an SG.

well maybe it was an old double cutaway like the one shown here:
http://www.zuitar.com/guitar/101624-Melody_Maker.html

03-15-2010 23:53 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:
that was primodial

well maybe it was an old double cutaway like the one shown here:
http://www.zuitar.com/guitar/101624-Melody_Maker.html

Sweet!!!

Cool

03-16-2010 00:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
quote:

now before we go on i must take exception to a previous comment in passing regarding the electric hendrix... "hippie audience"?! where do you think Jesus freaks came from, boarding schools?

didnt know christians or the jesus freaks had come from hendrix.

But on the music side I thought that the beatles was their major influence. Even DA has a major influence of the Eagles, beatles, and E.L.O. on horrendous disc. Their first album was country. Their second album is similar to SGT peppers on the Bside. Later they were more of a pop group and then alternative. Love song also had a beatles influence.

I dont know many christian bands from the 70's and 80's so I cant talk much about that. Maybe someone can help here.

Yes please, refresh Ken on the history of DA.

Early influences – not too impressive but I’ll catalog what I recall here and you can decide for yourself.
It’s probably more accurate to call this “pre-history”.

I recall Steve, Terry and I watching Bad Company on late night TV. They had some good licks but our general consensus was they were bad. This was before bad meant good if you know what I mean. Then there was the time when Chuck, Steve, Terry and I were listening to Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. They were great and closer to what we were playing. We were impressed with their musicianship. None of us were instrumentalists or virtuosos to that degree. We were all singer songwriters. Terry would sometimes sing a lead like Norman. I really didn’t like that, why should the devil get all the good lead players?

Uncle Randy was one of our favorites. Norman’s songs were too simplistic and his performances over bearing… for me anyway.
What I missed was the band – too many Christian artists hit the road as one man show. Just one more way I felt cheated by the devil.
But then we saw Love Song at San Jose State with Phil Keaggy sitting in– that was impressive. After we moved from the Bay Area to Orange County all the Maranatha groups were an influence to some degree. Especially Love Song and The Way. We were just one of many young bands hoping to catch their wave.
One reason we did not have stronger influences is because we did not cover other folks’ songs. We were playing our own songs and trying to find our sound in a country, folk, pop jumble. One surprise I had later was discovering what closet rockers Terry and Jerry were. Steve has always been a troubadour. Plus we were stuck under the stifling mantel of Christian music. If you think CCM is hard to listen to, imagine what it was like to have those expectations hovering over your creative output. We should all be grateful that anyone was able to create some of the wonderful songs they did given that strangeness.
Then one day we had a real guitar player show up to play along. I should have known something was up when that hairy quiet college grad Jerry C. with his Gibson Melody Maker (i think) starting playing his octave leads & fills (popularized by Wes Montgomery... hey an influence!) when we were first trying out Don’t Light Your Own Fire - they are on the original DA recording.
The whole thing ratcheted up several notches when Marty plunked down that solid J-bass of his. And that's the way it was in early '75 when according to Wiki:

# The Alice Cooper stage show for Welcome to My Nightmare becomes the largest stage spectacle of the decade.
# January 8 - Three Led Zeppelin concerts at Madison Square Garden sell out in a record four hours.
# February 21 - John Lennon releases his Rock 'n' Roll LP, featuring John singing his favorite early rock songs from the 50's. To promote the album he conducts a telephone interview with 20 rock radio stations simultaneously.
# March 2 - Los Angeles Police make a routine traffic stop that turns out to be Paul McCartney and his wife Linda. Linda McCartney is arrested for having six to eight ounces of marijuana in her pocketbook.
# March 26 - The film version of The Who's Tommy premieres in London.
# April 3 - Steve Miller is arrested and charged with setting fire to the clothes and personal effects of a friend, Benita DiOrio, and resisting arrest. DiOrio drops the charges the following day.
# April 24 - Peter Ham, founder of the group Badfinger, is found hanged in his London garage. His death is ruled a suicide.
# May 1 - The Rolling Stones announce their upcoming North American tour by performing Brown Sugar from a flatbed truck on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The occasion was guitarist Ronnie Wood's debut with the band.
# May 10 - Stevie Wonder performs before 125,000 people at the Washington Monument as part of Human Kindness Day festivities.
# August 9 - Melbourne-based group The Bee Gees begin their mid-70s international comeback when "Jive Talkin'" reaches #1 and goes platinum with sales over 1 million.
# August 9 - Dmitri Shostakovich, the last of the great Soviet composers, dies.
# September 15 - Pink Floyd releases their album Wish You Were Here and is a huge hit.
# October 30 - Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue tour begins

January – Altair 8800 is released, sparking the era of the microcomputer. Gates started MS the same year.
January 10 – Japanese soldier Teruo Nakamura surrenders on the Indonesian island of Morota.
January 29 – The Weather Underground bombs the U.S. State Department main office in Washington, D.C..
February 21 – Watergate scandal: Former United States Attorney General John N. Mitchell, and former White House aides H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman, are sentenced to between 30 months and 8 years in prison.
April 3 – Bobby Fischer refuses to play in a chess match against Anatoly Karpov, giving Karpov the title.

April 17 – Following several weeks successful fighting, the Communist Khmer Rouge guerilla forces capture Phnom Penh, prompting a forcible mass evacuation of the city.

April 30 – Vietnam War: The Fall of Saigon: The Vietnam War ends as Communist forces take Saigon, resulting in mass evacuations of Americans and South Vietnamese. As the capital is taken, South Vietnam surrenders unconditionally.

December 2 – The communist Pathet Lao takes power in Laos.

it was very good year if you were a commie... or glam rocker

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 03-16-2010 00:58.

03-16-2010 00:55 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Wow!
Great stuff Ken!
Please post any other stories you may have! Pleased

03-16-2010 07:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
One reason we did not have stronger influences is because we did not cover other folks’ songs. We were playing our own songs and trying to find our sound in a country, folk, pop jumble.

Interesting observation about influences and covers. I never thought about that, but it makes sense.
03-16-2010 09:43 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:

Uncle Randy was one of our favorites. Norman’s songs were too simplistic and his performances over bearing… for me anyway.
What I missed was the band – too many Christian artists hit the road as one man show. Just one more way I felt cheated by the devil.
But then we saw Love Song at San Jose State with Phil Keaggy sitting in– that was impressive. After we moved from the Bay Area to Orange County all the Maranatha groups were an influence to some degree. Especially Love Song and The Way. We were just one of many young bands hoping to catch their wave.
One reason we did not have stronger influences is because we did not cover other folks’ songs. We were playing our own songs and trying to find our sound in a country, folk, pop jumble. One surprise I had later was discovering what closet rockers Terry and Jerry were. Steve has always been a troubadour. Plus we were stuck under the stifling mantel of Christian music.

thanks for the info, great!!!

Norman, yep his music seems the same, simplistic (not that simple is bad) but I can listen to several songs and that's it. Then it just turns monotonous. So basically I dont listen to Larry.

On the other hand LOve Song, I love them its sad they just made 2 albums and a live album.

The other day I saw in Chuck's blogspot that they had remastered all 3 love song cds (He said they did an excellent job in the remaster), They are even including the drum solo which didnt make it on the cd of Feel the love live album. They are making a Box set and maybe including a dvd of one of their concerts.

here is a part of his blog

quote:
Love Song:

Original tapes on all 3 projects (“Love Song”, “Final Touch”, and the live “Feel the Love” albums) .have been re-mastered at one of the finest labs in the world, Mastering Lab, owned by Dog Sax. Friend and world-class recording engineer Bill Schnee assisted Tommy Coomes and myself in “dialing it in”. The drum solo has been re-included in the live album, which will mark the first time that there has been a full digitally re-mastered version of that album.

A deluxe box set is being planned for release early next year. It will include remastered versions of the 3 albums, and planned is a ”bonus” cd of what we called the “Livingroom Tapes”, This is a recording of most of our catalog done in someone’s livingroom, circa 1970-71, gathered around an old 2 track reel-to-reel tape machine with that classic “slap echo” that was built into the machine. These versions are completely “unplugged”. No drums, no overdubs, and performed just a few weeks after we got born again. There may be some other bonus materials as well.

We are considering a fifth disc for the box set, that might be a DVD of a1973 concert we did in San Antonio. This disc has already been technically restored, but we are going to do some minor editing to the existing version, to tighten things up a bit. Other option for a fifth disc are also being explored.

We are considering producing a short Quicktime type video which will tell the story of the making of each album with audio quotes from the band members, and vintage photos and footage. We are awaiting the fate of some a 40 year old 16 mm film footage taken of our whole driving trip and experience of Explo ’72, which has never even been developed. It is being worked on by one of the finest labs in the country to see if it can be restored. If we can accomplish this these videos will be added to the individual cds as ”enhanced CDs”.

The box set will also include an extensive booklet, filled with never before seen pictures, culled from hundreds which have been recently digitized from old film strips and slides. Tommy and I have had a ball going through them, cherry picking the best ones.

Single releases of the 3 main albums will occur shortly after or simultaneously with the box set. Look for this somewhere in the first quarter or 2010.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-16-2010 11:21 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

it was very good year if you were a commie... or glam rocker

nice! Pleased
i was 6 up until dec 23 that year....so i missed most of that... Crying

Cool
03-16-2010 11:23 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by wakachiwaka

quote:
quote:
that was primodial

Ken - I have it from the horse's mouth that Jerry had a red '59 LP Junior, which unfortunately was stolen in the early '80s. I think it's the same as the one in the clip (except for the finish, obviously)...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 03-17-2010 08:44.

03-17-2010 08:33 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

good info wakaman, thanks.
if the horse occasionally goes by the name spot i stand corrected and please tell him i said howdy.
but by the early 80s the photos show Jerry using a Rick and a (non-JR) LP and maybe somthing else.
makes sense to me he would have pretty quickly upscaled his equipment once DA took off.
makes sense because the guitar i recall at those first sessions with him was that homely goldtone color & shape of a melody maker. i mean if someone else thinks a melody maker is a fine looking animal, more power to them but i think i'd remember that first guitar with more respect if it looked like the one in the picture. i wasn't picky then, Uncle Terry was still plugging his amp into a homemade plywood speaker box for his Tele', but that doesn't mean i didn't have an eye for the finer things in life. none of us had any surplus bucks: food, rent, a tank of gas, a pair of jeans, i mean bellbottoms, a shirt, flip flops and a couple of picks was about all we had... we only bought a guitar string when one broke, a new set was usually a Christmas gift from a sibling. we rarely went to movies or restaurants or anything that wasn't free (like the Saturday night concerts at Calvary Chapel)
DA played at my wedding firstly because they were free, except we took them and their significant others out to Knott's Berry Farm for a fried chicken dinner... oh, the high life!
anyway thanks for letting me ramble... when the boss isn't looking.

03-17-2010 14:49 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Well, all I can report for sure is that Jerry testifies to having owned a '59 LP Junior, red in color, as late as just prior to the Doppelganger tour. When he picked it up is anybody's guess.

Looking at the Beefheart clip again, I can say the Neanderthal's definitely playing a Junior, judging by the shape of the pickguard: The Melody Maker has the volume and tone control built into the tail-end of the guard/faceplate, but the Junior has them going through the body, as does the hairy Magic Band dude's axe.

Jerry/Spot also played a '68 LP Gold Top, which was pilfered at the same time the Junior was. And he apparently also owned one of these - not sure what this model is, but it appears to be None Of The Above:
03-17-2010 23:58 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Oh, and I'd be happy to pass along your greetings (what's your last name again? I remember you used to have a blog linked in your sig, but it appears to be gone now), but if you join Facebook you can pass them along yourself...

Cool
03-18-2010 00:03 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

yeah i watched the video again - NEVER saw drums played like THAT - not the open style, that we've all seen... i mean everything else - meanwhile you're right the hairy guy is playing an LP... and tell spot to get on over here and make up his own stories.

03-18-2010 00:30 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

somewhat closer to the original topic - is there any album in Christendom that has such a story to tell about its birth comparable to Horrendous Disc?

03-18-2010 00:33 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
somewhat closer to the original topic - is there any album in Christendom that has such a story to tell about its birth comparable to Horrendous Disc?

I don't think so.... I think a lot of stories ended with the band breaking up and the album never getting released at all.

I mean, I'm sure of iAlarma! had not been released, than HD never would have been released either.

03-18-2010 05:05 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH