Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] 10 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
If 500 folks would buy one, they'd be about $40-$50 each.

"Ray, do you know how much a candy bar costs?"
"'Bout a hundred dollars."
"Do you know how much one of those new compact cars costs?"
11-12-2010 09:39 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Before anything could happen, those 500 would need to commit to the purchase. While I love me my spinnin' black circles, that's a lot of manpower better served facilitating the new album.

Trust me, I've been over the LP Q&A a couple times now, and the end result seems to stay the same, and my bid for mega-millionaire status has put me a couple hundred in the hole. Introverse as the official vinyl licensee for Stunt Records = ain't gonna happen.
11-12-2010 11:52 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by Eis

"Ray, do you know how much a candy bar costs?"
"Do you know how much one of those new compact cars costs?"

rain man as a DA fan 2011:

how much is the new DA album on vinyl?
'bout a hundred dollars...
how much on cd?
'bout 15 dollars...
ahhhh, makes sense......... Pleased

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 11-12-2010 12:04.

11-12-2010 12:04 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
Yeah and Terry said it wasn't. In fact in the DVD at the very start you can see the reaction of the band to playing that song back for the first time and Terry says "the juxtaposition is terrifying." Meaning that in a side by side comparison the actual meaning of the song and what it sounds like its saying about the bands career is scary even to Terry right after recording it.

Most DA albums are recorded essentially 'live in the studio' to a great degree I believe. They may then go in and add horns or vocals or something, but I really don't think the process has changed all that much over the years. At various times they may have a smaller budget that restricts them from adding other musicians, I remember while Buechners was being recorded and mixed we got a call asking us to help raise the money to hire the horn players, if that hadn't happened, that wouldn't be part of the album.

This hits a little more onto what I'm talking about and will perhaps make it more understandable. First, I'm not talking about adding musicians... if that is what Terry wants to do, great, but that is not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about the time used and needed to make sure every minor detail is just right--like a painter making sure each brush stroke is just where and how they want it.
I remember reading that a lot of time was spent on the song Sanctuary to make sure it was just right. The whole Motorcycle album could be another example. DFBB, too. I'm sure Terry would love to spend as much time as he can making sure each detail is just right. I'm also sure money is a big factor in that--it takes time and time is money, especially in studio and post production costs.
So if Terry has the option to record 30 songs and spend less time making sure the details of each song are just right or 10 songs but can spend 3x the time on each song, I'd rather he make the 10 songs not the 30.

11-12-2010 12:50 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis

Replies to both Joey and Dw.:

Yes, you are both correct and I am totally aware. Just wishful thinking. Baby
11-12-2010 13:11 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:
Yeah and Terry said it wasn't. In fact in the DVD at the very start you can see the reaction of the band to playing that song back for the first time and Terry says "the juxtaposition is terrifying." Meaning that in a side by side comparison the actual meaning of the song and what it sounds like its saying about the bands career is scary even to Terry right after recording it.

Most DA albums are recorded essentially 'live in the studio' to a great degree I believe. They may then go in and add horns or vocals or something, but I really don't think the process has changed all that much over the years. At various times they may have a smaller budget that restricts them from adding other musicians, I remember while Buechners was being recorded and mixed we got a call asking us to help raise the money to hire the horn players, if that hadn't happened, that wouldn't be part of the album.

This hits a little more onto what I'm talking about and will perhaps make it more understandable. First, I'm not talking about adding musicians... if that is what Terry wants to do, great, but that is not what I'm talking about.
I'm talking about the time used and needed to make sure every minor detail is just right--like a painter making sure each brush stroke is just where and how they want it.
I remember reading that a lot of time was spent on the song Sanctuary to make sure it was just right. The whole Motorcycle album could be another example. DFBB, too. I'm sure Terry would love to spend as much time as he can making sure each detail is just right. I'm also sure money is a big factor in that--it takes time and time is money, especially in studio and post production costs.
So if Terry has the option to record 30 songs and spend less time making sure the details of each song are just right or 10 songs but can spend 3x the time on each song, I'd rather he make the 10 songs not the 30.

Terry has said in interviews that DA records are not about every hair being in place.

11-12-2010 14:44 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

Most DA albums are recorded essentially 'live in the studio' to a great degree I believe. They may then go in and add horns or vocals or something, but I really don't think the process has changed all that much over the years.

Summed up nicely.

11-12-2010 14:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:

If they sound as good as MBD, I'll take the 30.
11-12-2010 14:48 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

I love all those songs as they are.

11-12-2010 14:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

I love all those songs as they are.

i don't mind having 30 and maybe only 10 will be played on a regular basis...
since nowadays the main place a play music from is an mp3 player, i rarely listen to albums from beginning to end...
and as we discussed, my 10 may be different from your 10...
and if dennis wants all 30 on vinyl for $100, more power to him too! Happy
Pleased

Cool
11-12-2010 15:42 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

I like the looser, live-to-tape feel of records like this. I won't say that everyone should record like this, but all great rock bands can record like this: they don't have to move .wav files around to get a decent performance.

11-12-2010 16:44 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Why would anyone think Terry spent less time on Buechners than say Motorcycle or Vox Humana? I actually doubt this is the case.

I really just don't follow it. Knowing Terry the way I do, I know he is a perfectionist. He jokes about cranking them out like sausages, but when it comes to his work, he puts a lot of thought into it.

11-12-2010 17:03 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
I really just don't follow it. Knowing Terry the way I do, I know he is a perfectionist. He jokes about cranking them out like sausages, but when it comes to his work, he puts a lot of thought into it.

My question is, would he put more into it if money and time were not a factor?

11-12-2010 17:30 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:

My question is, would he put more into it if money and time were not a factor?

I dont think so...., that is what I love about his music "Its excellent", just as Jason said he tries his best and we have seen that through all his albums

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
11-12-2010 19:14 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Terry says to stay tuned... about four hours ago on facebook... an announcement is coming soon.

11-12-2010 23:01 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

I remember hearing that for some reason the release of Motorcycle was held up and that gave them extra time to tinker with the songs. Motorcycle is my favorite DA album. So Ritchie, you and I are in the minority about this.

Don't get me wrong, Alarma is my second favorite DA album and it's worlds apart from Motorcyle. I guess I just prefer having every hair in place and checking to make sure a dozen times. Big Grin

11-13-2010 01:06 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Here's the deal, sometimes Terry is raw and loose and sometimes Terry is more produced.
But Terry never releases until it's ready.
Until it's what he wants it to sound like.
DA records tend to lean more towards ¡Alarma! than MotorCycle, which I love but may be a tad overproduced, as some of the songs get lost in the production.

It's like this, some people prefer The White Album and others Abbey Road.
However The White Album does not sound the way it does because not enough care was given to each individual song, or The Beatles didn't have enough time or money because they were making a double album.

Abbey Road is a different animal from The White Album just as MotorCycle is different from MBD.

11-13-2010 05:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Agree, DA doesn't ever put any album out until they think they have put all that they wanted to into it. I would suggest that if the funds ran out before production was complete then they would delay the release and try and raise more funds. If they needed more time, they would take it.

My main point is though that I don't think their process changes all that much from release to release, its not like one is just a jam in the studio and others are layered one piece at a time... I think all albums are both.

One aspect that may cause some misunderstanding about that is the addition of Mark Cook or Rob Watson or someone else adding a lot of synthetic orchestration to a release. That can make it sound more 'produced' with lots of instrumentation. Sometimes those guys have been part of the production and sometimes not. If they are not a part, you might end up with guitars and drums instead of orchestra sounds, which ends up sounding more stripped down even if they add a lot of guitar overdubs or the occasional horn or strings.

But I think that is more of an effect of where they want to go with the release than a restriction of not enough money or time.

11-13-2010 07:26 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
I dont think so...., that is what I love about his music "Its excellent", just as Jason said he tries his best and we have seen that through all his albums

I agree. Terry does more with less than perhaps anyone out there.

11-13-2010 07:33 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Dylan made most of his records "live" in the studio with no rehearsal from the band.
He would do a run though just him and his acoustic guitar and then the band would join in on the next run through and then they would do another run through in a different style, i.e. fast and then slow or bluesy.
One of those two takes with the band would end up on the record.

11-13-2010 08:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 7 8 [9] 10 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH