Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Terry Scott Taylor - Swine Before Pearl, vol 1 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry Scott Taylor - Swine Before Pearl, vol 1
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just a little update...

The standard Editions should arrive here and ship out on Monday, from what I can tell with the tracking information.

Since the Personalized editions have to be printed specifically for each person, they're going to be arriving in bunches over the next week. Some will definitely be shipping out with the Standard Editions - but we're not sure how many just yet. It just depends on how fast the printers can get them ready and shipped to us.

Its unlikely that all of them will arrive in time for Christmas unfortunately. The good news is that some folks mentioned that they didn't need it for Christmas or they wanted it for a later Birthday or something like that.. so we're making some of the other orders a priority. If it looks like your copy might not arrive in time - what we're going to do is ship you the Standard Version free of charge along with everyone elses and then ship the deluxe edition once it arrives. The personalized editions that don't arrive in time should arrive soon after.

*IF* you don't need your special edition in time for Christmas - please let us know so we can hold yours until later in the process. You can PM me here on the board or send me an email at audiori@danielamos.com . Also - if it would help, we can also potentially send you an MP3 of your personalized track if you need it before Christmas and it looks like your CD might not arrive in time. Terry really wants people to experience these personalized songs as part of the album - but we certainly understand if you need something like that done for CHristmas.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-18-2010 15:13 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Didn't see this anywhere in the thread, but I was wondering if the standard pressing is a CD or a CD-R, as I assume the personalized song version is a CD-R.
Am I wrong?

12-19-2010 20:57 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Administrator

We can't use a regular CD manufacturer because of the custom stuff.. but we are having them printed through a regular printer - we're not running them off in our garage or anything like that. The custom and standard editions are all being printed in the same way, but the custom editions have slightly different text on the back cover.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
12-19-2010 23:38 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

But are they both CD-R's, or only the custom version?

12-20-2010 16:44 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Both are printed from a place that can do short runs.

12-20-2010 19:43 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

So they are pressed CD's, then?

12-20-2010 22:07 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Administrator

Just a heads up... Since most of the personalized Deluxe editions were not ready to ship at the same time as the standard edition, we decided to go ahead and send everyone that ordered the Deluxe edition a copy of the standard edition as well so you can enjoy the album along with everyone else. The personalized editions should start arriving soon after.

12-21-2010 21:24 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just want to know whether or not they are pressed, silver CD's, or CD-R's. Is there a reason why you're not specifically saying? I have no issue with supporting Terry, I just want to know what I'm going to get if I order it.

12-22-2010 17:51 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Administrator

I just copied and pasted my post from Terry's facebook page and then went right back to work shipping CDs.. didn't even look at the posts before it.

I don't have one sitting in front of me at the moment, but I'm not entirely sure what they are. If I remember right, they don't bare the usual telltale signs of a CDR.. but I do suspect there is something unusual about how they're printed because they have an amazingly fast turnaround time and can print any number of discs. Its not the quality (in terms of packaging) that we would normally use for a regular album -- but that was impossible in this situation. We had to go with something weird so that we could do the custom song versions. As we do more volumes of SWINE, we'll continue to look at whatever the best option is at the time.

12-23-2010 00:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

The company I used to deal with, Kunaki, printed on demand. Their discs were very high-quality and had that silvered look to them, but were actually CD-R. I imagine that this is very much the same as Terry used.

These types of CD-R are surprisingly durable, and if this company is or anything like Kunaki, the packaging will be spare, but well printed.
12-23-2010 06:38 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah, Mike Roe commented on some printed this way and said they are actual CDs.

Personally, I don't see what the difference is. A lot of times people seem to want to make a distinction, but technically a CD and a CD-Recordable end results are the same. For a CD manufactured in a plant, a plastic disc with bumps is pressed which become the pits when the reflective surface is applied.

Now in the recording process of a CD-R, the pits are burned into a layer of photographic dye. There are four types of photographic dye used; Cyanine which is a light green-blue color which has the lowest permanence. Phthalocyanine which is transparent with a slight green tint and has the Highest permanence. Metallize Azo which is blue and similar in quality to Phthalocyanine. Formazan which is light green, it is a combination of Cyanine and Phthalocyanine and is similar in quality to Phthalocyanine.

Once recorded on, they work the same. A CD player will play them exactly the same, same spiral recorded track, same method of reading the binary pits and reflective surface. The only real difference most people would have to worry about would be the top side of a CD-R, where the reflective layer is, isn't as protected as it is on a regular CD. A regular CD has the reflective layer sandwiched between two plastic discs, which a CD-R doesn't.

On these discs specifically, there doesn't seem to be any dye layer.

12-23-2010 07:12 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

I asked for two reasons:

I like to know what I'm buying. I've had CD-R's do some strange things, as I'm sure anybody who has a lot them has seen. I've had layers separate, the reflective surface peel, etc. Of course, now I just rip 'em to a hard drive, so it doesn't matter much, but I still like to know.

I'm always interested in how other bands are pressing small runs (which was going to be my next question) because, being a musician, I may have a need for it sometime in the future. Does this mean that there isn't a glass master for pressing, or is it some kind of in between thing? I'd be interested in a link or more info if you can get it.

12-23-2010 16:45 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
jlemarr777 jlemarr777 is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 02-01-2006

Quick Question... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My wife gave me the okay to order the deluxe personalized CD, but it's showing as unavailable in the store. I don't need it for Christmas or anything, but now I'm worried. I didn't miss my chance, did I?
12-23-2010 17:05 jlemarr777 is offline Search for Posts by jlemarr777 Add jlemarr777 to your Buddy List
Administrator

I think Terry plans on doing another run sometime in January.

12-23-2010 17:19 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

Just wanted to say I received my copy today. What a fun disc this is, really reveals a behind the scenes glimpse into the songs new and old. The Crime Horse tune is wild. If you have already ordered you won't be disappointed!!
12-23-2010 22:55 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Doke Doke is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

It would be great to hear some more reviews and opinions of the album. I'm still waiting for my deluxe version, but I'd also love to hear what folks think of their personalized songs. Let's hear more!
01-12-2011 15:30 Doke is offline Search for Posts by Doke Add Doke to your Buddy List
ahanson ahanson is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

I'm surprised there haven't been more reviews of this. I just finished my second listen, and this is a treasure trove of new and old music for DA and Terry fans. I love the unplugged versions of Sanctuary and The Twist, two of Terry's best songs ever. And the demos are very cool, especially the Crime Horse song, Sun Down in the West. Of course, this wouldn't be complete without some of Terry's trademark wackiness, courtesy of Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor and Rabbi Aaron Bergman watching "The Fly" together.

The highlight for me was "You got a good one there". My first child was born on May 20, and the cd arrived in the mail either that day or the next (I don't know which....I was at the hospital!) Needless to say, Terry's lyrics perfectly capture how my wife and I feel about our beautiful newborn son. My wife keeps asking me to play it for her. Thanks Terry, for the beautiful song.

So, if you don't have this yet, order it now!
05-29-2011 18:02 ahanson is offline Send an Email to ahanson Search for Posts by ahanson Add ahanson to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Terry Scott Taylor - Swine Before Pearl, vol 1

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH