Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Discography Thoughts » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA Discography Thoughts
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

RE: Gospel and DA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lobo1023
It was life-changing.

fitting between the lines tribute to this discography exploration

still i think to this day it is hard to contextualize Christian alternative (ie, good) music... & probably art... ok, preaching, politics and ping pong champions as well; there is a natural tension between admiration of someone in the limelight and the humility of Christ... but perhaps no different than anyone with a public persona... such things to be worked out in fear & trembling i suppose.

give me the anonymity of a web forum any time Smile

Psalm 119:83
06-03-2011 12:26 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I also am amazed that someone would compare Daniel Amos to southern gospel, but having grown up listening to it (among other things, of course) and performing with family, I'm pretty familiar with the style. For the same reason, I also find it difficult to scoff at it or the people who do it. I can understand how those involved in the cultural war over the subject in the '70s would have a different perspective. I do remember the people who worked on my mom's albums as being sincere and talented folks though.
06-06-2011 11:43 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I do remember the people who worked on my mom's albums as being sincere and talented folks though.

Never mess with mom… let me see if I can find my footinmouth extractor around here someplace… I was perhaps a bit hasty to single out the white gospel folks for criticism… my limited musical leanings leave me predisposed to dislike the genre but that does not grant a license to dislike the artists… the sincerity factor, being an individual quality of character, is elusive to nail down for all types of performance and styles of music, no one type has a more or less chance of being “for show”.
I recall a band playing at Calvary Chapel on Saturday night in the heyday of their Jesus music concerts and there was a recent convert playing bass. He pranced about a little (really not much) on stage, smiled a lot and said thanks after every applause. Later there was a lot of criticism slung his way, the basic accusation being it was un-Christ like. Finally one of the pastors spread the word that this individual had never performed in a Christian venue before and did not understand how he came across, he as just trying to be friendly. Poor soul thought that Christians respected and understood honest friendliness more than performing to a legalistic code of stage behavior. Hope he is still in the fold.

06-06-2011 14:45 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

It's all Cool

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
Hope he is still in the fold.

Poor guy. I hope so, too.
06-07-2011 09:26 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
revrogers revrogers is a male
Normal Noggin

images/avatars/avatar-299.jpg

Registration Date: 03-07-2007

Jimmy,

Who is singing on the Poor Wayfaring Pilgrim video? Is Shimarenda you? I shared the video on my Facebook page.

06-07-2011 11:16 revrogers is offline Send an Email to revrogers Search for Posts by revrogers Add revrogers to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by revrogers
Jimmy,

Who is singing on the Poor Wayfaring Pilgrim video? Is Shimarenda you? I shared the video on my Facebook page.

One of my favorite old tunes. I put together a Byrds-style rendition a little over 10 years ago - Here it is.
06-07-2011 22:02 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Jimmy,

One of my favorite old tunes. I put together a Byrds-style rendition a little over 10 years ago - Here it is.

great work here twice - deserves it own thread, and don't be so bashful next time.

06-07-2011 23:21 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Look who's talking! Cool Thanks, Ken.
06-08-2011 02:53 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Jimmy,

Hey, Rev! Happy Yes, that's me on both counts. It's an arrangement I did a few years ago. I finally got a chance to perform it this past Spring. Thanks for sharing it.

I put things up on that channel whenever I can get anything put together. It's nice to finally have a live performance up there.
06-08-2011 08:13 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Jimmy,

Excellent rendition! Thanks for posting it.
06-08-2011 08:16 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

I like the song... definitely not southern gospel (or white gospel). Wink

I'm sure the folks who record and have recorded southern gospel are/were sincere... I never questioned that.

06-08-2011 15:31 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Discography Thoughts

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH