Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (16): « first ... « previous 13 14 [15] 16 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe 16 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0016 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin
01-09-2019 07:45 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Wink Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
Another note- I may have posted this before- my turntable is a silver linear-tracking front-loading Radio Shack one I bought around 1985. It worked well the last time I used it (a year or two ago). But I may have noted here when I played "Dig Here..." it was too slow. My theory is that I never before tried to spin a piece of heavyweight vinyl on it , thus I never noticed the defect. I'll need to get a better one.

Some time back, when I got an original HD LP off eBay and converted to MP3 via turntable and computer, my first attempt sounded slow. I would suggest reading up a bit on your turntable and maybe a drop of a light oil on the motor shaft bushings would get it spinning right again Wink Big Grin and there are places mostly online now that sell rubber belts if you need that too.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-26-2019 22:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thank you for the advice. It is 30 years old and may need some maintenance. I've also been hitting all the thrift shops looking for old turntables.

02-27-2019 02:35 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You will still have to do some work on an old turntable from a thrift shop, if it isn't going to damage your albums potentially. Getting a new stylus set up, the cartridge aligned properly, correct racking weight....it's enough to make me wish for a music player that just works! Hey, those cd things were ok, weren't they??

www.smashthatcomputer.com
05-17-2019 01:31 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thank you for the advice and you reminded me of what I would like to do, if possible. Of course they sell new turntables and record players, but the quality is low and these will just eat your record grooves. I wonder if any companies specialize in selling new turntables of high quality like in the old days so we don't have to fool with rehabbing 30 year old units. These would not be some crazy audiophile units, but I would pay $200-$300 for a good modern turntable.

05-17-2019 01:58 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
You will still have to do some work on an old turntable from a thrift shop, if it isn't going to damage your albums potentially. Getting a new stylus set up, the cartridge aligned properly, correct racking weight....it's enough to make me wish for a music player that just works! Hey, those cd things were ok, weren't they??

I'm not 100% sure why we/I are doing this vinyl revival thing. The sound is not as good as digital obviously. But there is something soothing, calming about audible noise.

I could do this in the interim- I could rip "Dig Here..." and HD to the digital domain and apply a speed adjustment so Uncle Terry et al* don't sound sad and like he's just getting over the flu. That analog sound is really appealing and sounds just as good to me when ripped to digital.

*Aunty Jerry? that sounds about right

05-17-2019 02:21 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

https://diffuser.fm/laser-turntable/

http://www.elpj.com/

05-17-2019 19:03 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

For a mere 15000!!! Smile

05-18-2019 21:24 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"i like cds.." carl simmons Big Grin

Cool
05-22-2019 11:51 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

"I like glockenspiels." - not Carl Simmons

05-22-2019 23:47 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

Here’s my setup. A lot less than $15,000 and it sounds great!
Denon DP-300F with Audio Engine 5 speakers
05-28-2019 07:43 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Okay- it's been

TAKE TWO:

I'm finally really busting into the HD LP box I got months ago. The actual disks come in white slips that I would guess came from the presser in Munchkin Land, so I am trying to match the disk with glossy covers. Wouldn't think it would be this hard. It could be i'm raetrded and no one told me? Get right back to you...

09-07-2019 12:05 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

Finally got the various HD disks matched to their glossy slips. Listened to that for a bit and started in on some 45s from thrift stores. Now I'm spinning "Dig Here...". I'm pleased to report no pitch problems like before. Maybe I imagined that; maybe the turntable is mounted better; maybe the belts tightened/loosened; maybe angels French-kissed the crystals. Hearing now "Now That I've Died" and once again fixated on the bass line.

09-07-2019 16:05 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

Just finished the green disk and it is evocative. "Man In The Mood" is dreamy. When I hear it I always feel like it's dusk in the late fall and I must get inside where it is warm, and go to bed, where I may possibly dream of a Man In The Moon.

09-08-2019 16:33 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
"Man In The Mood" is dreamy.

Is this the song about sondance and his wife reading Tolkien?
09-10-2019 09:23 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

That's awesome, Jimmy! The typo stays. Smile

09-10-2019 13:36 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

Have listened to "Ten Biggies..." several times now. With the green and red disks I was satisfied with just one pass each. This one needs more time. Note that it is a clear (untinted, or undyed I suppose) vinyl. When you hold it up in the light, it does appear clear, minus some softness from the grooves. But when you place it on the platter to play it, the color changes. My turntable has a black rubber mat. I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it, but it is not "clear" anymore. Neither is it black like the mat.

09-17-2019 02:11 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Ten Biggies was one of several 4 track demos that were recorded back then. It seems a couple of those old 4-track demos were dubbed off to a master reel tape and then the 4 track tape recorded over. Luckily in the case of the Ten Biggies the 4 track tapes still exist, so we used that and had them professionally mixed and mastered. Thats why they sound so much better than the other 4-track demos on the CD version. Some of those other demos only have survived in cassette form.

I thought "Taking A Fall" sound a lot like a pre-Daniel Amos Terry track.

09-17-2019 14:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:

I'm not 100% sure why we/I are doing this vinyl revival thing. The sound is not as good as digital obviously. ...

It's all about perspective. Vinyl on a decent turntable DOES sound better than low bitrate digital AAC/MP3 that those of a certain age range mostly listened to on iPods (to get more songs with limited memory) or perhaps mobile (non-WiFi) streaming (to save data and/or be playable without stop/start buffering).

Hope that makes sense Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-01-2019 23:02 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Whereas for me, MP3s on cheap earbuds sound better than the cassettes I lovingly collected in the '80s.
10-10-2019 09:24 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Pages (16): « first ... « previous 13 14 [15] 16 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc Deluxe

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH