Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sudden Heaven » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Sudden Heaven
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Text Sudden Heaven Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was reading in Walter Hooper's collection of poems by C.S. Lewis while waiting for my wife's tea to steep, as one does, when I came across this line"

"... I doubt if the angel himself
Is free to choose when sudden heaven in man begins or ends."

Since I know that Terry Scott Taylor sourced practically every line of the album Fearful Symmetry from Walter de la Mare's anthology Behold This Dreamer!, I wondered if the Lewis poem was in there. Before retrieving the 700-page tome from the stacks in the library where I work, I decided to try the internet, and I came upon a pretty good write-up that discusses Lewis, de la Mare, and Taylor's use of the phrase, as well as the person who likely invented it, Ruth Pitter. It also reproduces all the poems so you can read them there. Have a look, and tell me what you think:

https://scriptoriumdaily.com/sudden-heaven/

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 11-03-2022 10:54.

11-03-2022 10:53 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow. This Fred Sanders knows his stuff! His list of personal publications is impressive, as are his academic qualifications and experience...

Does (did) he lurk here on the DAMB? I suspect so. In any case, this gives me a whole new insight into Terry's work and demonstrates further how he can, indeed, be counted among the greatest Christian artists/writers out there.

www.smashthatcomputer.com
11-03-2022 14:05 wayneb is offline Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

He was on here all the time back in the earliest years. I dont know about lately. I cant remember his user name. Might have just been fredSmile .

11-03-2022 21:15 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jimmy Brown

It looks like he was FredFredFred. It seems he was active on the Daniel Amos Discussion List, but he only has 5 posts here.

https://www.danielamos.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=11476

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 11-04-2022 07:46.

11-04-2022 07:45 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Were any of you around before this forum emerged from the old list one? Before the site got upgraded about 15-18 years ago
..?

11-04-2022 12:48 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

Ok...just checked my registration date and it was in fact 20 years ago! I was the first person to sign up for this board except for the Townsend Brothers and the band members that they assigned names for. I was pretty new to the other board but just happened to be the first one who signed up here. I remember Fred from the other board for sure.

11-04-2022 12:50 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

My previous account was registered January 31, 2003. My sister had given me MBD for Christmas, and I realized I had lost track of the band after Motorcycle. So unfortunately I was never on the DADL.
11-04-2022 15:43 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

The DADL was even different from what I'm referring to...I just am talking about the original edition of this forum. If you didn't join til 2003 you missed that too though...

11-04-2022 19:53 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I joined at the end of April 2002 but was never a member of the DADL. I can't really remember what this forum was like at the start. I read a lot of posts but seldom posted back then - making up for it now!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
11-06-2022 00:27 wayneb is offline Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

I think I joined just before the upgrade to this board because the first several posts I made are gone. I could be mistaken though; it's been a while.
11-08-2022 10:32 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

One thing I appreciate in comparing these poems is how flexible it seems Terry's mind is. The Variable lines of the second chorus (Bliss to great...) are all from the third stanza of Pitter's poem. Somehow he looked at that and thought, "If I snip a few words and rearrange all the lines, and it will work perfectly in my song."
11-09-2022 08:40 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sudden Heaven

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH