Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcyle. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Motorcyle.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

lately you seem to throw out albums every year without practicing adequate quality control in regards as to what gets put on your cds
07-25-2002 12:55 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

are you gonna quote the whole DAmb letter?

-- taotp
07-25-2002 13:37 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

you know sometimes simple 3 chord songs sound good.

07-25-2002 13:56 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Dr Rich

quote:
Originally posted by BD
sorry to say that your music has become mediocre and I'm spewing it back to the store!

that part makes me laugh everytime.

It's such an odd letter. he seems to be writing in earnest, and he seems so unaware of what an burro he is being.
or maybe he does not care Confused

when I saw DA at lifest, Terry had to fix a string, and the MC was asking people when they first heard of Daniel Amos. It got pretty cheesy pretty fast.

Later on (with what I should have said time) I thought I should have spoken and quoted the wacky fan letter, just to have fun with the MC Big Grin

07-25-2002 16:21 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
are you gonna quote the whole DAmb letter?

-- taotp

Great Idea! Big Grin

Wacky Fan Letter

Hi, this is Camarillo Eddie. As you may or may not know, I’m in hiding right now. But every once in a while I get a letter passed on to me from my friend Terry Taylor of Daniel Amos.

Anyway this is a letter from a guy in a Dallas Texas. On the outside of the envelope it says “Read this important personal letter, your career depends upon it.”

Now this is a real letter, it’s no put on. It goes on:

Dear Terry and the rest of DA and The Swirling Eddies,
I just purchased Bibleland today. Tomorrow I plan to return it. Sorry to say, but your music has become mediocre so I’m spewing it back to the store. As a long time Daniel Amos fan this is a very sad day. However I do have some comments and questions and would appreciate a response.

First, is it possible to obtain Horrendous Disc on CD? My vinyl copy is a pain to turn over at the end of side one. This is your best album except for Shotgun Angel. And I’m terribly disappointed that I don’t have the CD version.

Related to the lousy state of you band right now, I have some suggestions as well as comments on what made your early music great. First of all your best albums are Daniel Amos, Shotgun Angel, Horrendous Disc and Alarma. I loved Vox Humana in the 80’s and still listen to it occasionally today. I became a Daniel Amos fan listening to Vox Humana and did not acquire Daniel Amos and Shotgun Angel until they were released on CD.

Now as to why I think your music has deteriorated in quality.

First, lately you seem to throw out albums every year without practicing adequate quality control in regards to what gets put on your CDs. Fans want to hear the good music that you write, not everything that pops into your mind.

Second, sinicism and obtusis, cease to be useful when they squeeze out hope, joy and praise of God. There’s more to life than complaining about the sad state of affairs in the world, in the church and in your comprehension of our Lord.

Third, you need to add more piano and acoustic guitar to your recordings.

Forth, sometimes simple three to six chord songs actually sound good.

Finally, you should stop the wining sound in your vocals and increase harmonies.

Your return to the using the Daniel Amos name for the band rather than DA Swirling Stinking Eddies or Edward Daniel, Dumb Daniel Taylor, is to be applauded. But this return to sanity is fraudulent with your recent music does not live up to the standards the Daniel Amos name connotes. Kalhoun and Motorcycle provide me with the limited hope that you were attempting to begin producing decent music again. But my hope has been dashed with Bibleland. Perhaps my deception is made all the more complete by your association with the two fine releases JT’s Knock Breeze Shine and Stonehill’s Wonderama.

In appreciation for your years of work recording and in the hope that I will help you get back to the right track musically. I’m providing you with a semi-comprehensive analysis of your recordings to date. It follows.

1. Daniel Amos, A-.
Good album all the way through. I’m from Texas and don’t mind the country sounds. I like vibe of Losers And Winners, Dusty Roads and the various 70s sounds of the cool Don’t Light Your On Fire.

2. Shotgun Angel, A+.
Completely excellent album in all ways, even if it sounds like the eagles at times. I even bought your Revelation album.

3. Alarma, A-.
Pretty good. Thanks for the bonus tracks on the CD.

4. Horrendous Disc, A.
Please get this one out on CD as quick as possible and let me know about it. My record has a scratch. You sound like The Beatles, but keep in mind that The Beatles sold lots of records.

5. Doppelganger, Incomplete.
I’m still trying to figure this one out.

6. Vox Humana, B.
It was very good in it’s time.

7. Fearful Symmetry, B-.
Was the name change to DA symbolic to the bands decline?

8. Darn Floor, Big Bite, C.
Glad I found this on sale.

9. Let’s Spin, C.
Thanks for not putting your names on this. At least I can think someone else was responsible for it. Big Guns and Ed are the reasons this album gets a passing grade.

10. Outdoor Elvis, C-.
Didn’t you already do your tribute to Mr. Graham on your first album? I find no joy in listening to songs about Swaggert, Baker and other quote unquote Masters. Were you trying to reassure yourself that you have some ability with Don’t Hate Yourself?

11. Telethon, C.
I’m On Your Team, The Pool, Sprinklerheads, Only One, Sudden Heaven and Soon are all good. Especially Team, but who wants to listen over and over again to the rest of the trash on the CD. And who wants to take the time to program a CD player for 24 recordings.

12. Live Bootleg, D
The Surf Suite is great, and other songs are good too, but the recording quality is too poor to get this album over the hump.

13. Kalhoun, B
Interior Glory and Glory Hound are excellent, but Kalhoun and Virgin Falls are Hideous. (hideous hideous)

14. Motorcycle, B
Pretty decent, only Guilty seriously annoys. Unfortunately this CD doesn’t have other really great songs. Traps and Snares, What’s Come Over Me and Noel are all good.

15. A Briefing Of The Ascent, B-
Applaudable effort

16. Bibleland, F
I’m getting my money back tomorrow. I’m sick of having to make an effort to like any of your music. And it is time for you to record something encouraging and less muddled sounding Christian.

17. Knowledge and Innocence,
I’ve ordered it.

18. Dogs Albums,
Their fine, but you guys should better than (?)

I realize that there are a few albums that I’ve missed including a special release or two. Please provide me with a list or recording that did not make it onto my list here.
And tell me if they are worth purchasing and where I can purchase them. Also forgive me please, I’ve never seen Daniel Amos in concert. Will you be in Dallas any time soon? Please keep in mind that some albums are better than the sum of their songs. In addition it is extremely annoying to have to program a CD to have to skip certain lousy songs. I encourage you to listen to some of your old music. And some Stonehill, Keith Green, early Second Chapter, early Resurrection Band or early Jacobs Trouble in order to be reminded of what good music is.

Thank you in advance for prompt personal response to my letters. (questions are in bold type) If you have the time? I would be even more grateful if you heed my suggestions and start making better music.

Finally, does Daniel Amos have a specific purpose, mission or goals as a band? And if so, what are they?

Sincerely and In Christ,
07-25-2002 22:44 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by BD

...First, lately you seem to throw out albums every year without practicing adequate quality control in regards to what gets put on your CDs. Fans want to hear the good music that you write, not everything that pops into your mind...

"...you see we here at swirling eddies club headquarters are just now putting the finishing touches on the epic video "let's spin". oh, we had a video prepared and ready to go but i wasn't altogether happy with it....that's what we in the business call "quality control".

you see, i wanted YOU charter member, of the swirling eddies fun club and mutual admiration society, to have the best darned video money could buy."

07-26-2002 02:15 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

and those Swirling stinking Eddies albums: Thanks for not putting your name on it, at least I can think it came from somebody else. Pleased

07-26-2002 02:19 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:
Originally posted by BD

...First, lately you seem to throw out albums every year without practicing adequate quality control in regards to what gets put on your CDs. Fans want to hear the good music that you write, not everything that pops into your mind...

"...you see we here at swirling eddies club headquarters are just now putting the finishing touches on the epic video "let's spin". oh, we had a video prepared and ready to go but i wasn't altogether happy with it....that's what we in the business call "quality control".

you see, i wanted YOU charter member, of the swirling eddies fun club and mutual admiration society, to have the best darned video money could buy."

WOW, this leter DID have an impact on Camarillo!!!Shocked
07-26-2002 07:26 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

didn't Bible Land come out in 1994?
and S&P 1989 or 1990?

still, very funny Wink

07-27-2002 14:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
and S&P 1989 or 1990?

still, very funny Wink

so whats your point?

what are you trying to say?

Wink

Big Grin
07-28-2002 11:56 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Thanks for posting the whole letter. Been a while since I listened to that. I had it downloaded on my one laptop but it was stolen. Now I have Compuke laptop that crashes if I look at it funny, so I have almost no music downloaded. I'll have to download it again and burn it to CD, it is just a funny track, especially since I totally disagree with almost everything he/she says.

-- The Author of the Post
07-28-2002 13:41 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

"are you gonna quote the whole DAmb letter?"
-- taotp

"Thanks for posting the whole letter."
-- The Author of the Post

Make up your mind!Evil

BD

your welcomeWink Smile
07-28-2002 15:41 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BD
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
and S&P 1989 or 1990?

still, very funny Wink

so whats your point?

what are you trying to say?

Wink

Big Grin

uh... nothing... nothing at all.

Big Grin

07-28-2002 16:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

ok then, it worked.

Tongue

BD
07-28-2002 19:01 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

I found Motorcycle a few years back at a used shop and picked it up because I had heard so much good about it. Keep in mind, I was introduced to DA's music by OPFWFH. So i brought it home and gave it a few spins, but nothing really caught my ear, save for "Grace is the Smell of Rain" and "Noelle," which I had already heard. It ended up sitting on the shelf, waiting patiently for the time to come when i would take it down, listen through it again and be able to appreciate it. That time came this past week. I can't believe i overlooked it for so long. Right now, I'd have to say my favourite tracks are "Hole in the World" "What's Come Over Me" and "Frontiers". I've had similar experiences with other albums, like the 77s Island record and Safe as Milk. others have clicked right away, like Mr. Buechner's Dream and Knowledge & Innocence.

Now I'm waiting for that funky crows record to grow on me.
01-27-2003 12:55 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

That's very cool. It's one of my favorite CDs.

01-27-2003 13:15 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Baxturd the White
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-18-2003
Location: "The names Mustard Seed Faith, Love Song, and especially early Daniel Band kept comin up."

Mine too.

Hole is such a gem.
01-27-2003 22:40 Baxturd the White is offline Send an Email to Baxturd the White Search for Posts by Baxturd the White Add Baxturd the White to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

It's one of the rare ones that I liked cover to cover (to use book terminology) from the first listen.

01-27-2003 23:03 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Official Impasto

hmmm.

i like it...but there are many i like more. Smile

01-27-2003 23:16 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by FaintScentsOfSewage
Now I'm waiting for that funky crows record to grow on me.

Big Grin LOL! Big Grin

I think it's pretty good!
Give it time! Smile )

01-29-2003 16:18 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Motorcyle.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH