Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAmb it Reviews » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DAmb it Reviews
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Buffalo
MORE DAMBit Review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK now, finally, my review of MORE! dämb it, disc two of the DAMB FAN ALBUM!

1] the Tuxedo Clad Megastar – Bowling Pin:
Excellent tie-in to the message board in changing the lyrics of the Eddies’ “Billy Graham.” Sounds like it was recorded in one take on a cassette; love that hiss/noise. “Pretentious aural goo like months-old SPAM”!! If the recording quality was better it’d fit in just fine on a Lost Dogs CD. Since I love playing with lyrics I give this’n a big thumbs up for Bowling Pin’s strike in creating such fine lyrics (seriously!).

2] Unattainable Earth – wes berlin:
Recall all the accolades I had for wes’s contributions to the first disc? Well, what’s up with this tink tink tinkle tink harpsichord for this song?! Whoah, back to the super execution on the chorus; full band, confident vocals. Oh, I get it, point, counterpoint (or something like that) and a little nod to the pretentious poetry readings thrown in as well. I like it best when the harpsichord joins the full band. OK, you won me over, all in all a good concept and execution.

3] She’s All Heart – Jerry Chapman:
I LOVE the intro! The acoustic guitar tone is ‘fine’, electric guitar (bass?) evoking the tone of the original, and the mandolin(?) on the left sparkles; close your eyes, you might see it! I don’t know why but the vocals sound British to me and are very good to excellent. Good recording, mix and arrangement make for satisfying listen. I like it!

4] A Certain Love – Dw. Dunphy:
I would hope to sound this good sharing this song with friends in my living room but I’d fall a bit short I fear. Mostly one guitar strumming (additional guitars come in near the end, and, yes, I hear that acoustic lead in the intro, barely) and now I’m starting to regret my comments in the first disc’s review concerning one guitar strumming because the alternate tuning adding range and the execution and rhythms provided here provide a full experience. However, I wonder how many strings Dw. broke in practicing the pounding ending! Is there anything left of the pick guard on that guitar? Although one could pick at a couple of points in the vocals, I couldn’t because I could not get near this in my attempts to sing this song. Dw., is that you overlaid, or other voices with you? When I close my eyes, I’m in a coffee shop (smells good) with Dw. and patrons perfoming this song. I award extra points to songs that can send me on a little trip like that.

5] Travelog – Contemptible Dreamers – Dr. Rich and Lucy:
Better recording quality would have helped this one. However, the vocals remind me of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” – that’s good. Takes a song that always gave me a mental image of a living room and puts the setting in a spaceship, and I’m not sure why unless it’s the Bowie connection. Also gives a more dark feeling than the original creating more of a warning to the dangers present in the travelog itself.

6] New Car – Woggy & JiMiNY:
Here we are back in the studio buried somewhere where the earth makes the walls buzz and hiss to the detriment of the recording’s quality. However, we get a nice acoustic guitar & harmonica blues styling of this song. And another sweet serving of Woggy’s vocal abilities. (Excuse me here, but I get weak in the knees when I hear the “uh, huh!” after, “Mag wheels and tinted glass.” I’d better not loop that or I’ll end up like that guy in the movie, “Brainstorm”; pretty much a quivering vegetable.) If this was redone with clean recording it would be one of my favorites on the disc.

7] Tico The Talking Trumpet – jamespop:
Either Tico’s too loud, or jamespop is too timid! Cute twist on “CoCo” with the message board the Tuxedo Clad Megastar tie-in. If I listen to Tico carefully, I start laughing! I would guess that to be the desired response. Quite an appropriate inclusion in this collection.

8] If You Loved Here, You’d Be Home By Now – Jim Muglia:
Somewhat forces this song into acoustic/electric blues but the vocal delivery on some lines adds more depth to the bite of the lyrics (ex. “…the pain you must feel…”). More angry and spiteful than the original.

9] Sprinklerhead – Bubba Death Machine:
Sprinklerhead unplugged. And no recording tricks to get the amazing vocal. Does that guy have anything left of his vocal chords?! Shredded! Amazing energy pours out of this recording.

10] Hey John Wayne – Casual Cruelty:
Straight ahead rockin’ 3-piece band. Would be right at home on the park stage in nearby Isla Vista (the community adjoining the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara) and I could hear it from home (a mile or two away.) My favorite part of this recording is the drums; rock steady and almost out of control in the same song. Vocals are good. Rock on, guys!

11] Outdoor Elvis – Fluid Imbibers:
You guys got a CD? I want one. This version of “Outdoor Elvis” is so entertaining! The distorted guitar, the comical-sounding instruments, the “Bring him back” section of the song with the strings. Great vocals, mixing, instrumentation, and overall concept and execution.

12] (The First) Noel(le) – D.M.L.:
What a creative idea. Sound clips from “Noelle” and the lyrics from “The First Noel” combined together to make what’s probably the best ever version of “The First Noel.” Do I recognize that female vocalist? I can’t listen to “Noelle” now without adding “Born is the King of Israel.” All the vocals are great.

13] Darn Floor – Big Bite – Dr. Rich & Uncle Ralph:
The first time I listened to this, it took me a long time to figure out what song it was. Kazoos in harmony. Distorted kazoos, is that an oxymoron? There’s some words in there, I just can’t make ‘em out yet. I keep expecting “Mom” to come in and say “Stop That!” (in the recording.)

14] The Shape Of Air – jamespop:
If you told me, “Come listen to “The Shape Of Air” played on a single wind instrument”, I’d tell you I’d rather be a contestant on a “Gross-out” Fear Factor that completes all the stunts the hard way and loses, but, I’d be wrong. I don’t know how this can be so pretty, it just is.

15] (What’s Come) Over Me – Shemp:
Musak for I don’t know what generation. The main melody line instrument grates on you after awhile but then again I know how difficult it can be to get the sound you want in a recording such as this. Most of the other elements I like. Congratulations on your perserverence to get this song done (I’m making assumptions about how it was done and know it’s time consuming.)

16] Faces To The Window – Buffalo & Egret:
Well, it’s me (and the wifey) here, so, just info. This is definitely a headphone mix, at least for the last (swing) style. I just listened to it and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Wish I could play all those instruments like that, but, isn’t it great what musical technological toys can do nowadays?

17] Wacky Fan Letter – Mark:
A reading of the wacky fan letter filled with DA clips. This collection would probably be incomplete without it (since we’re all wacky fans.)

18 & 19] God Went Bowling MPEGs – carl (Carl Simmons):
A terrific bonus. Very nice drawings illustrating the song, “God Went Bowling.”
02-05-2003 03:51 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the review Buffy. Wink
02-05-2003 13:44 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

YES i AM Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ALSO.
buff- you are usually a bit quiet, but when you got a point to make- you make it well. I cherish your insites- you just hear a bit different than I - and thats what reviewers do best.-thx
Some stated it b4- but what is yer line of work?
Writing in any capacity??
jiMiny

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-05-2003 13:52 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This sounds like a great disc, I may have to submit a song to the Choir fan cd.

02-05-2003 14:41 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso

I'd almost bet that DAmb it II comes out before the Choir disc does!!

(just trying to put a little fire under that thing!)Wink

jasooon is heading it up, and it should be good if he gets enough submittals. he has his song up at MP3.com if anyone is interested.

fluid imbibers
02-05-2003 14:46 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Hell I can do that, if Jim "Jugs" Muglia can record a song, so can I.

I think I'll record Paul Williams song, since Derri bears such an uncanny resemblance to the diminutive one.

02-05-2003 15:01 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Big Grin

02-05-2003 21:52 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Once again, Buffalo, you have humbled me..............and given me great delight (weak in the knees? how refreshing! That's a monumental compliment, in my book.)

Jim and I had a great time with this one - especially on the lyric re-vamp. When he suggested "route 66", the Toyota Matrix just fit..............and Janis Joplin needed a hearing, too.

thank you, dear sir.

Woggy

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

02-06-2003 14:31 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo
OK now, finally, my review of MORE! dämb it, disc two
5] Travelog – Contemptible Dreamers – Dr. Rich and Lucy:
Better recording quality would have helped this one. However, the vocals remind me of David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” – that’s good. Takes a song that always gave me a mental image of a living room and puts the setting in a spaceship, and I’m not sure why unless it’s the Bowie connection. Also gives a more dark feeling than the original creating more of a warning to the dangers present in the travelog itself.

13] Darn Floor – Big Bite – Dr. Rich & Uncle Ralph:
The first time I listened to this, it took me a long time to figure out what song it was. Kazoos in harmony. Distorted kazoos, is that an oxymoron? There’s some words in there, I just can’t make ‘em out yet. I keep expecting “Mom” to come in and say “Stop That!” (in the recording.)

Glad you like them! Funny enought Travelog was recorded on a computer and DFBB was on a crappy $100.00 four track!

BD double tracked the Kazoo-effect to sound in harmony.

I love both of these songs and they were fun to do to do, Travelog with Lucy and dfbb, by myself and the Dr & the Uncle are "one" as they say! Smile )

02-06-2003 16:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Pedasso

That would be fun! Smile )

02-06-2003 16:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

I'd like to do a song for the Choir CD too.

02-06-2003 17:16 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

I would too....

but you wouldn't want me to! Shocked

I suck when it comes to music
02-06-2003 20:47 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

If there's a DAmb it II, count me in.
02-06-2003 21:13 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

ok

it looks like there is a lot of interest in doing another one

BD
02-06-2003 21:33 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

you can count me in.

Big Grin

02-06-2003 21:44 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

I knew I could!

I think we'll wait a few months and start it up again. We'll take a little more time on both ends, and maybe come up with some sort of theme or something. who knows

BD
02-06-2003 23:15 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Thread Starter Thread Started by Buffalo
Quiet Buffalo? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Jiminy: Is it possible for a Buffalo to be quiet? Well, the problem here is time to get on the board. You may notice from the times of my postings that they are almost always late at night. (Actually, you would need to subtract one or two hours from the posted times to equal my PST time zone...) They are late at night because that's when I can sit at my computer. I can't access the board from work (accessing the board must be what some of you mega-posters do for work); I wouldn't have time to anyway. Regular daily routine and/or kids on the computer for homework prevent me from getting on at home in the evenings for most weekdays and the weekend is usually a crunch between making up for the bass practicing I didn't do all week and have to (and want to) be ready for Sunday morning and getting Doe, my first-born daughter some driving practice time, and..... Something that may help, I've purchased most the stuff I need to put together my next computer. I have everything (Sound/Video Cards, DVD-R/CD-R/HD Drives, Case, Power Supply, Etc.) except the Motherboard, CPU, and memory. I will have them in a few days, I hope, and then we'll be a two computer family. And I'm gonna hog the new one!
My line of work doesn't involve writing in any real way. I build infrared detectors/imagers that, for the most part, are used in military applications but some civilian applications also. Been doin' this for about 4 years. I'd rather be doin' what I was doin' for the previous 15 years - makin' Hard Drive recording heads. The company I worked for (Applied Magnetics) couldn't keep up with the technology and ended up dying a year after I was laid off. There aren't any other HD recording head manufactures near enough so I had to change industries. It's been a step back in a few ways, but, hey, I'm still living in paradise! However, I do put a bit of effort into trying to communicate clearly; I just need a lot of work to start making it concise; especially in verbal communication; how many semi-colons are allowed in one sentence? Actually, I should start attending that group for those who talk too much, let me see, I think they're called On-and-On Anon!

BD: Notice the stuff about the computer in the last half of the first paragraph above.

Woggy: I call's 'em as I hear's 'em! Have you seen Brainstorm? (I'll be terribly embarrassed if you have, or if you see it sometime soon...)

All DAmb submitters: Thanks again for participating; this has been like getting MBD for me, it's a wonderful package and contents!

DAmb It 2: I'm with BD, let's do another, but, not until Summer or so... Songs could be collected from now until then, and, when the time's about right, a deadline for submissions could be made, and something similar to #1's process would kick in...
02-07-2003 02:31 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

So, I guess I'll be seeing you a few more times, Wes. You're the coolest cat around.

02-07-2003 10:49 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Big Grin

02-07-2003 12:08 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

hold it!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

theres only one cool cat...

DAMBit II - the Prequel.
Perhaps everyone could do a song on the release b4 the one they did DAMbit on?????
I got the prelim on a DIGITAL source for music-so sound quality should be MMMUUCCHH improved-like better boom boxes all around!!!

ANOTHER idea- just to kick- would be one original work (if you "artists are so inclined......)
that would be like a DAMBit-Less the DA part.

jiminy

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-07-2003 12:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAmb it Reviews

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH