Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Is John Wayne any good? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Is John Wayne any good?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bigboycying
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 02-24-2003

Is John Wayne any good? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I mean to say, is it just good or really really good?
03-20-2003 11:44 bigboycying is offline Send an Email to bigboycying Search for Posts by bigboycying Add bigboycying to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

It's rather one-dimensional.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I mean, how many times can you punch some bad guy or get into some bickering with the babe you just KNOW y'r gonna wind up with by the end of the movie?

Oh, you mean John Wayne the ALBUM! Big Grin

I'd give it one "really" -- start great, ends great, a little samey in the middle -- but what I wanna know how have you managed to go without "Mr. Flutter" and "You Lay Down" for this long??? Or "Writer's Block," Hey John Wayne" and "Chicken Crosses the Road," for that matter?

Criminal, really....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-20-2003 11:56 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You got it right. The 5 songs you just listed are definitely the highlights. They are far better than the others on the CD.

You Lay Down is one of the best songs Terry's written.

You must purchase this CD.

03-20-2003 12:01 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

how could you not mention
Boomtown?
3 de-merits..
but you are loved and forgiven.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-20-2003 12:15 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

It's easy... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Like this....

Big Grin Tongue

03-20-2003 12:22 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Guido Martinez Guido Martinez is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

John Wayne Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

John Wayne is a fansatic record. Kind of DA-esque. However, the best cut on the record has not even been mentioned. "Too Many Angels" is right up there with some of Terry's best.
03-20-2003 12:43 Guido Martinez is offline Send an Email to Guido Martinez Homepage of Guido Martinez Search for Posts by Guido Martinez Add Guido Martinez to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Guido Martinez: None YIM Account Name of Guido Martinez: None
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Nahhhh.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Although I do like the (misheard) line about "little knick-knack jerks".... Big Grin

03-20-2003 12:46 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Is John Wayne any good? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bigboycying

You typed in exactly what I didn't type
exactly how I didn't type it

03-20-2003 13:01 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
web
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 04-23-2002

Don't Forget 10 Gallon Hat, possibly th most addictive song Terry ever wrote. And You Told Them Exactly What I Didn't Say is a fun sing-along song. (Have we missed any?)

An how could you say he was one-dimensional. The guy played a cop, a marine, a calvary officer, a cowboy, an outlaw, a rancher,...
03-20-2003 13:06 web is offline Send an Email to web Search for Posts by web Add web to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Was that intentional? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by web
An how could you say he was one-dimensional. The guy played a cop, a marine, a calvary officer....
After all, he DID play a Calvary officer....

"Shirley THIS was th' SON a' GOD."

That HAS to be the single most overbilled appearance in the history of motion pictures. I must've watched that movie a half-dozen times before I realized that THAT was him "starring" in it....

03-20-2003 13:12 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by web

An how could you say he was one-dimensional. The guy played a cop, a marine, a calvary officer, a cowboy, an outlaw, a rancher,...

wasn't that the Village People Roll Eyes

03-20-2003 13:16 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:

just good for that one.... Red Face

Cool
03-20-2003 13:18 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

who played the centurian better? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh no!!
its EARNEST...............

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-20-2003 13:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

John Wayne is one of my favorite DA/Taylor CD's. I love Mr. Flutter. The words are so good. I will be doing Ten Gallon Hat on DAmb it 2 which is one of my favorite Taylor tunes. It's so country it hurts and makes you laugh all at the same time. I can only think of one, maybe two weak songs in the middle but those weak songs are better than 90% of anything else out there so what's there to lose???

03-20-2003 14:12 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

quote:

it's really *&^%$%#@$##* good! Big Grin

03-20-2003 15:33 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

I might venture to say that it is Terry's best solo effort thus far!

But, I like to venture...Tongue

03-20-2003 15:43 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Venture too far and you might WIPE OUT.

03-20-2003 17:41 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Weigh in Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I say definitely buy it if you can find it. You never know when you won't find it anymore (except on Ebay) and then you'll kick yourself.

I'm with the group that says there are 5 or so great songs on this one, but there's some fly-by country on it too. (No offense to any band members who read this.)

My favorites are the opening cut (Writer's Block) and You Lay Down. I sometimes like to sing that last one to myself, maybe because it has a sweet tune and some great truth to the lyrics.

Bottom line: snap it up ASAP

03-20-2003 18:30 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

Good music and great lyric! Big Grin

03-20-2003 18:44 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

i kind of think of it as "kalhouns little brother".

i love it! buy it now...buy it often! Smile

03-20-2003 18:49 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Is John Wayne any good?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH