Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's All About YOU.... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's All About YOU.... 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
avsherwood1 avsherwood1 is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 10-04-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks!
10-28-2009 09:16 avsherwood1 is offline Homepage of avsherwood1 Search for Posts by avsherwood1 Add avsherwood1 to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Time to un-stall this thread! Anyone else want to contribute?

www.smashthatcomputer.com
08-21-2021 19:00 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

RE: It's All About YOU.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't think I've done this before. Anyway, not the same man, not the same river, so...

Name: Jimmy Brown (yes, my given name is Jimmy)
Birthday: 1966
Birthplace: Valdosta, Ga.
Current Location: Athens, Ga.
Current Occupation: Music cataloger
Dream Occupation: used to be Musician
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: what's left is mostly gray
Height: 5'9"
Right Handed or Left Handed: Right
Your Heritage: White Southern exile, like Wendell Berry or Flannery O'Connor without the talent
Your Biggest Weakness: Trying to find my missing piece
Your Fears: Letting go of finding my missing piece
The Perfect Pizza: DePalma's pineapple and green pepper with spinach-gouda sauce
Goal You Would Like To Achieve This Year: Make better use of my limited time on this side of the veil
Your Most Overused Phrase or word: I'm sorry
Morning person or Night Owl: Morning person if I go to bed on time and get enough exercise, Night owl if I get distracted looking for my missing piece
Your Best Physical Feature: the muscles under my adipose layer
Your Most Missed Memory: December 1989. I'll explain if you like
Pepsi or Coke: none
Favorite Fast Food: none
Can You Cook: does microwaving barley, beans, greens, and veggies in a cereal bowl count?
Chocolate or Vanilla: Both are good; probably chocolate if it's not too much
Cappuccino or Coffee: coffee, black. Odd since I started drinking my coffee with milk and Sweet'n'Low, but that's how my first-grade teacher made it.
Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello or the Marx Brothers: Marx Brothers
Number of hours that you normally watch TV in a single day: weekdays, less than one. Saturday, a cartoon short and a movie. Yes, we got Disney+ during the pandemic.
Favorite type of movie (Drama/comedy/action/documentary/etc): About any really. I have to be in the mood for realistic drama. Typically dislike horror.
Letterman or Leno: Letterman
Do you Smoke: No
Do you Sing: Yes
Do you Dance: No, I grew up Baptist
Most unusual talent: I have a knack for noticing when something isn't right.
You like to regularly challenge yourself by: Trying to get through a day without screwing up
Do you get Motion Sickness: no
Are you a Health Freak: I wasn't until I noticed my health deteriorating. I think it's age.
Do/did you get along with your Parents: Yes, though my mom worries about me (see Heritage)
Do you like Thunderstorms: I did until I noticed the chimney was sinking
Do you play an Instrument: Yes. Played bass for years, played F and B-flat horn in high school and college
Have you ever Stolen Anything: I stole an apple when I was about 3. That's when Mom explained to me about money
Have You Ever been Beaten up: not really, just punched a few times
What do you want to be when you Grow Up: Like Jesus (I'm not being flippant here)
What country would you most like to Visit: There's still a lot of the US I'd like to see
Number of CDs I own: roughly 600
Number of Piercings: none
Number of Tattoos: none
Number of Message Board Alliases: I had a previous account, which I abandoned. I made this one when I returned.
The Greatest Rock Band in History Is: Daniel Amos
The Album I Wore Out Growing Up Was: Doppelganger
08-23-2021 11:27 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

Love to hear your December 1989 memory, Jimmy. I have one too, but you first!

08-23-2021 15:27 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

I revive the thread, then look back to see what I put there back in the day....and found NOTHING! So, here goes:

Name: Wayne Barnett
Birthday: 1957
Birthplace: Gore, New Zealand
Current Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Current Occupation: Art Teacher
Dream Occupation: Famous artist or musician
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Brown (on the sides and bald on the top)
Height: 5'7"
Right Handed or Left Handed: Right
Your Heritage: Scots/English
Your Biggest Weakness: Procrastination
Your Fears: Covid, Delta variant right now
The Perfect Pizza: Lots of meat, a few veges and thick crust
Goal You Would Like To Achieve This Year: Stay married
Your Most Overused Phrase or word: Silence when you speak to me!
Morning person or Night Owl: Night Owl
Your Best Physical Feature: Deltoids
Your Most Missed Memory: Surfing Shipwreck Bay at 4 foot and glassy.
Pepsi or Coke: Coke
Favorite Fast Food: KFC
Can You Cook: Adequately
Chocolate or Vanilla: Chocolate
Cappuccino or Coffee: Coffee - what we call a "Flat White" here
Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello or the Marx Brothers: Marx Brothers
Number of hours that you normally watch TV in a single day: 1 -2 normally. Pandemic time - who knows?
Favorite type of movie: SF or Fantasy
Letterman or Leno: Letterman
Do you Smoke: No
Do you Sing: Yes
Do you Dance: Badly and as little as possible
Most unusual talent: I can (could) surf standing on my head
You like to regularly challenge yourself by: Ignoring this sort of question
Do you get Motion Sickness: no
Are you a Health Freak: Nope
Do/did you get along with your Parents: Yes, pretty well.
Do you like Thunderstorms: I don't mind them
Do you play an Instrument: Yes. Drums.
Have you ever Stolen Anything: Ah, yes.
Have You Ever been Beaten up: No
What do you want to be when you Grow Up: Taller
What country would you most like to Visit: Scotland
Number of CDs I own: roughly 250
Number of Piercings: none
Number of Tattoos: none
Number of Message Board Alliases: Only this one
The Greatest Rock Band in History Is: Daniel Amos but the Beatles are pretty good too...
The Album I Wore Out Growing Up Was: Space Oddity

08-23-2021 20:31 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by WoaaahJelly!
Love to hear your December 1989 memory, Jimmy. I have one too, but you first!

The college I went to in the '80s was still on the quarter system. It also started Fall quarter early enough that we were finished by Thanksgiving and came back in January. I was supposed to finish up Spring '89, but due to a mix-up by my advisor, I had to go an extra quarter, Fall '89. So I got my first off-campus apartment, hoping I could find a job after the quarter ended.

I had a good friend that I frequently did things with. She didn't even seem to mind when I would hang around her dorm room/on-campus apartment. It seems strange now, thinking how popular she was with all the guys--especially the Christian guys, who all knew they had met God's intended for them. But she and I just did stuff as friends.

As the quarter came to an end, I managed to find a stop-gap job at a Christmas tree farm owned by a member of my church. My friend, who is from Maryland, told me that she needed to stay in Georgia over the break for something having to do with financial aid. I talked to my employer, and my friend was hired. She was able to stay in her apartment on campus.

When the break came, everybody we knew cleared out from college. It was basically just the two of us in town. We sat in the cold in a field of 5-8 ft. trees during the weekdays and found stuff to do together most of the rest of the time. It was like a moment out of time, intensely spent with one of my favorite people in the world.

Christmas came. I didn't find a job and had to move. Life happened and we lost touch. But in my memory there is still this moment suspended in time.
08-24-2021 15:39 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Sorry, guys. Didn't mean to kill the thread. After all, it's not all about ME.

wayneb, is a flat white espresso with steamed milk? What size is that usually?
08-28-2021 09:30 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Hi Jimmy, pretty much but with less milk than a latte. It's a decent size cup but not sure what to compare it to. The last coffee I bought in the US was a Starbucks (20 years ago) and it was, ah, not very nice!

08-29-2021 03:12 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I may have told this story here already (or a shorter version of it). I joined the Navy in April 1989, graduated boot camp (San Diego RTC) in July and went home for leave just before Christmas. I called the nice lady at IDR Airlines (I Don't Remember) and I got a wildly expensive round-trip ticket back home and back back again. I flew home and had just a wonderful Christmas and new year with the family. I remember playing Nintendo. I believe it was right on January 1st 1990 that I flew home. I remember how unhappy I was at that time. Before I flew home, and while I was still happy, I went to Logos Bookstore and there I was, must have been, 20 copies of "Outdoor Elvis" on display. I remember the young man who worked there; I think he was a little Bohemian. I can't imagine the older manager ordering such a thing. I got my copy and took it with me back to California.

Anyone else remember what they were doing December 1989? We need to keep this server busy with nonsense threads like this; this makes the Audioris mucho happy.

08-29-2021 17:42 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

December 1989? It's hard for me to remember exactly, but I was getting ready to change jobs. I had spent 10 years at my first school as a teacher and had resigned and was living on Relief Teaching plus income from signwriting, while surfing, playing in a band, doing some recording and a little bit of my own Art.
Not enough to pay the bills though, so I had just accepted a job offer at another school 25 minutes North of me....located on a beach that actually had surfable waves occasionally!
I would have flown or driven South that year to visit my parents, so was probably trout fishing and enjoying having my meals cooked for me. It was the end of a really life-changing 10 years and the beginning of a 5 year period that was also creative, challenging and exciting. I still visit that area today when I can, to see the great friends I made and the amazing coastal landscape.

08-29-2021 18:48 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

My friend and I listened to Outdoor Elvis a number of times sitting out at the Christmas tree farm. Cool

Is "relief teaching" teaching a class while the regular teacher is absent? It has a nice ring to it compared to "substitute teaching."
08-30-2021 14:18 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Yeah, sorry to use the NZ term for it. Most teachers here know the "Substitute Teacher" video clip by Key and Peele, so I should have used that term. That clip was used here for teacher education in why it is so important to pronounce student's names correctly....

08-30-2021 17:58 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Oh, don't apologize, Wayne. I like learning things like that. After all, you are a teacher!

My problem with my name in school was convincing some teachers, who refused to use nicknames, that my name is really Jimmy, not James. Roll Eyes
08-31-2021 05:17 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
My friend and I listened to Outdoor Elvis a number of times sitting out at the Christmas tree farm. Cool

Is "relief teaching" teaching a class while the regular teacher is absent? It has a nice ring to it compared to "substitute teaching."

Heroic effort. O-E is one looong album.

09-04-2021 17:01 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
Oh, don't apologize, Wayne. I like learning things like that. After all, you are a teacher!

My problem with my name in school was convincing some teachers, who refused to use nicknames, that my name is really Jimmy, not James. Roll Eyes

I think I just now understand what you said years ago- the name on your birth certificate is "Jimmy"; thus your name is not a shortening of "James", it is indeed "Jimmy".

09-04-2021 17:03 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

This was an interesting thread - how about a bit more about some of you (genuine) members?
I'll start: I am a year older now than retirement age here but am still teaching full time and plan to do so for at least another year.

I am in a new band and we are writing original material with an aim to record in August. I am also working on some of my own art for the first time in years. Gotta have something to do when I retire...

07-04-2023 20:37 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 8 9 [10] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's All About YOU....

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH