Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Just ONE stupid line please!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's what I was thinking.
09-06-2002 21:16 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Of course, great minds think alike.

09-06-2002 21:17 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Just what I was going to say...
09-06-2002 21:18 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I knew it.

09-06-2002 21:19 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
So what CD is it that are you aren't crazy about?
Mr Buechner's Dream

See, there's your problem. Go listen to Alarma! or Kalhoun first.

I also fell under the same spell you did. There were a couple of songs off of each disc (MBD) that appealed to me, but the rest were... well... left something to be desired. I think that Terry's voice is in top condition, and so is the band, I just can't put my finger on what it is...

09-07-2002 01:05 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Mark Mark is a male

MBD is great!

09-07-2002 09:22 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
MBD is great!

Amen!
09-07-2002 10:02 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
quote:
Originally posted by servantsteve
quote:
So what CD is it that are you aren't crazy about?
Mr Buechner's Dream

See, there's your problem. Go listen to Alarma! or Kalhoun first.

I also fell under the same spell you did. There were a couple of songs off of each disc (MBD) that appealed to me, but the rest were... well... left something to be desired. I think that Terry's voice is in top condition, and so is the band, I just can't put my finger on what it is...

That's funny, because for me it was the opposite... MBD is one of the few DA albums that appealed to me right from the start. Most of the others took some time for me to really get into, but I liked MBD right from the start (well, the first disc at least... it took me a bit longer to really get into the second one, but now I love).
09-07-2002 10:04 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

I liked MBD right away. It took awhile to take it all in since it was long, but that was OK.

09-07-2002 10:14 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
I liked MBD right away. It took awhile to take it all in since it was long, but that was OK.

MBD is great. It needs to be taken for the syle it was intended to be: straightforward rock with a lot of Fleisch and blood.
09-07-2002 10:52
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Muglia

...with a lot of Fleisch and blood.

Big Grin
09-07-2002 10:56 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
quote:

MBD is great. It needs to be taken for the syle it was intended to be: straightforward rock with a lot of Fleisch and blood.

heh heh

Big Grin

agreed

MBD is great!

BD

09-07-2002 11:40 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

quote:
quote:

Good answer

09-07-2002 12:26 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Yeah, I need to listen to it a bit more.

"Who's Who Here" is my favorite.

09-07-2002 17:50 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a take on the meaning of that song? I'm trying to figure out what it means.
Jim
09-07-2002 18:05
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
quote:

Speaking of which, does anyone have a take on the meaning of that song? I'm trying to figure out what it means.
Jim

I always think about the DAmb when I hear it. Wink

I know there is a story about this song, but I can't think of it right now. Something about the singer from SF59????

"Jason and his argonauts"

BD

09-07-2002 19:36 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
quote:
quote:

Jim

I always think about the DAmb when I hear it. Wink

I know there is a story about this song, but I can't think of it right now. Something about the singer from SF59????

"Jason and his argonauts"

BD

That's a little pet peave of mine. Since Taylor's words are often abstract, he oughtta put a little note under each song title before the lyrics: "I was thinking how life is like ..., so I that inspired me to write down these lyrics for Who's Who Here?"

I mean heck, we fork out all that money for the project, we're really into the messages of the band; why not give us a little heads up for each song. On the last couple Michael W. Smith projects, "Live the Life", and "This is Your Time", he puts a little message like that before each song's lyrics, and the songs become so much more powerful since you understand what they are talking about. I wouldn't have even known that the song "This Is your Time" was about that martyred Christian girl at Columbine High if he didn't put the note before the song, and I would have missed the powerful message that "This Is Your Time" was literally referring to martyrdom. Anyhow, just a pet peave, not a crisis.
Jim
09-07-2002 22:00
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

You may have a point there, Jim, but remember that art is art. Song lyrics (and all poetry for that matter) are not sermons. If the meaning of a song is explained completely, then what's the point of the song existing? You might as well just write out the message. A clue to a song's meaning can be helpful, but half the fun of listening to a song (or reading a poem) is figuring out the meaning.
09-07-2002 22:21 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
You may have a point there, Jim, but remember that art is art. Song lyrics (and all poetry for that matter) are not sermons. If the meaning of a song is explained completely, then what's the point of the song existing? You might as well just write out the message. A clue to a song's meaning can be helpful, but half the fun of listening to a song (or reading a poem) is figuring out the meaning.

That's true, or figure out what it means for our own lives anyways. Like Bruce Springsteen's song "The Promised Land" means something really important to me; but I'm not sure if it means the exact same thing to the next guy or even to Springsteen himself. We can all interpret "the dogs on Main Street howl" however we want, and the song will have its unique meaning to us individually. That's true, art is art, no two people see every detail of a painting the exact same way. Like I said, it was just a pet peave, not a crisis.
Jim
09-07-2002 22:39
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

That's the great thing about a well written song... it can have multiple meanings... I remember once on a Steve Taylor message board I used to post on, we were discussing the meaning of his song "Jesus is for Losers." Everyone seemed to have a different interpretation of the song, but everyone's interpretation made a lot of sense...
09-07-2002 23:09 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH