Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Just ONE stupid line please!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Muglia
quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
Yeah, I need to listen to it a bit more.

"Who's Who Here" is my favorite.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a take on the meaning of that song? I'm trying to figure out what it means.
Jim

I think figuring out DA songs is always half the fun. I could go read a review, but then I would just say to myself, "I'm so stupid, why didn't I figure that out?"

Anyway, here's my take on "Who's Who Here."

Who's Who Here
Daniel Amos

Jason and his argonauts
Hanging out in parking lots
With teen twerps and some indiots
(and) all the riff raff
And strictly confidentially
All we got here is essentially
A vulgar vapid history
Of clap trap

OK, so it's talking about many different people here. So what? Bare with me, I'll get to the point. But I don't want to unveil my ideas just yet. Wink

Chorus:
And who's who here?
Is anybody anybody?
And who's that there?
Someone we should know?
Who's cool here? (who rules here?)
No one and everyone
Start the show cos'
It's not clear, no
So who's who here

One of my early theories was that the song was talking about the Swirling Eddies and/or other alter egos of the band. I still like that interpretation, but I think I'm on to something bigger so again, bare with me.

The mark of Cain is apathy
Brains winding down on entropy
New york and L.A. bougeouse
And their chit chat
It's babylon, they rattle on
The herds in line and movin' on
With ecstacy dipped cattle prongs
In back packs

Hmm, let's see... New York, L.A., and Babylon. What could all this mean?

And god is their technology
A studded tongues profanity
A grim tatoos theology
Is payback
Six pack kings pull up a chair
To sculptured breasts and deriairs
Each a potential millionaire
And fat cat

If you go back to the first verse, you'll find the keyword of this song, "history." The verses are about the many people in history and the lives they lived. What's the point of history? "Who rules here?" God does. History is His Story. God is still in control. The meaning of the song is answered in a question. Wink

09-08-2002 00:47 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

so it's not just about the DAmb and who rules here?

Wink

09-08-2002 01:34 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Did we all learn something today?

09-08-2002 02:04 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Did we all learn something today?

you didn't

you're still posting like a DAmb fool

Roll Eyes

09-08-2002 02:07 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I am so DAmb dumb.

09-08-2002 02:10 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I need to listen to it a bit more.

"Who's Who Here" is my favorite.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a take on the meaning of that song? I'm trying to figure out what it means.
Jim

I think figuring out DA songs is always half the fun. I could go read a review, but then I would just say to myself, "I'm so stupid, why didn't I figure that out?"

Anyway, here's my take on "Who's Who Here."

Who's Who Here
Daniel Amos

Jason and his argonauts
Hanging out in parking lots
With teen twerps and some indiots
(and) all the riff raff
And strictly confidentially
All we got here is essentially
A vulgar vapid history
Of clap trap

OK, so it's talking about many different people here. So what? Bare with me, I'll get to the point. But I don't want to unveil my ideas just yet. Wink

Chorus:
And who's who here?
Is anybody anybody?
And who's that there?
Someone we should know?
Who's cool here? (who rules here?)
No one and everyone
Start the show cos'
It's not clear, no
So who's who here

One of my early theories was that the song was talking about the Swirling Eddies and/or other alter egos of the band. I still like that interpretation, but I think I'm on to something bigger so again, bare with me.

The mark of Cain is apathy
Brains winding down on entropy
New york and L.A. bougeouse
And their chit chat
It's babylon, they rattle on
The herds in line and movin' on
With ecstacy dipped cattle prongs
In back packs

Hmm, let's see... New York, L.A., and Babylon. What could all this mean?

And god is their technology
A studded tongues profanity
A grim tatoos theology
Is payback
Six pack kings pull up a chair
To sculptured breasts and deriairs
Each a potential millionaire
And fat cat

If you go back to the first verse, you'll find the keyword of this song, "history." The verses are about the many people in history and the lives they lived. What's the point of history? "Who rules here?" God does. History is His Story. God is still in control. The meaning of the song is answered in a question. Wink

That's an interesting theory; however I'd say its the same message as Staggering Gods: the modern gods of men. While there's the word "history" in the song and the word Aabylon, its just in rerference to the present (i.e. these present guys in the parking lot have a history of clap trap; New York and LA are presently acting like Abylon once did. The message overall seems to be: who is really our god in this day and age.

Not to detract from your theory; like you say its open to interpretation.
Jim
09-08-2002 11:34
Jim Muglia
unregistered
sory eye kannt spel latelee Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey guys,

Sorry I can't spell lately. Reviewing my previous post I spelled Babylon as "Abylon" two times. And I know I misspelled the word "style" yesterday too. I think its becasue I'm in a hurry lately that I've been making all these typos.

Sew eye opolojize in aadvaaancceee iff mie speling iz bahd iin thu fewcher. Buht eye'll bee moor kairful ferom noww onnn.

Taik cair,
Gym
09-08-2002 11:39
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Damb it! You pointed out your typos before I could...
09-08-2002 12:37 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Ha ha ha ha

09-08-2002 13:39 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
I mean heck, we fork out all that money for the project, we're really into the messages of the band; why not give us a little heads up for each song. On the last couple Michael W. Smith projects, "Live the Life", and "This is Your Time", he puts a little message like that before each song's lyrics, and the songs become so much more powerful since you understand what they are talking about. I wouldn't have even known that the song "This Is your Time" was about that martyred Christian girl at Columbine High if he didn't put the note before the song, and I would have missed the powerful message that "This Is Your Time" was literally referring to martyrdom. Anyhow, just a pet peave, not a crisis.
Jim

I actually perfer not to have the song spelt out to me. I perfer to use my brain and work it out for myself. also that way God can speak a whole lot.

Also just beacuase I like correcting incorrect things.

Cassy Burnell was not a martyr.

Witness's say that she was under the desk going "Oh God oh god..." When Klebold poked his head under the table went "Peek a boo" and shot her.

It was a guy who was already shot who was about to be killed who was asked "do you believe in God" Who answered "Yes - my parents brought me up that way" Then for some reason Klebold didn't finish him off.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/09/30/bernall/print.html
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/0...bine/index.html

There is also the question in that even if Cassie was asked and answered as per legend what makes a martyr?

Klebold and Harris were just killing anybody indiscriminantly. Was she killed for her faith or because she was there?
09-08-2002 16:41 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Turning Japanese was such a deep song to me until I found out it was about masturbation. A song can mean a thousand things to A thousand people. I like to find the special meaning for me.

As for Martyr, what does that really mean anyway? The dictionary says that a martyr is someone who is put to death for refusal to abandon principles. Just because you wear WWJD on your wrist and get shot does not make you a martyr.

09-08-2002 19:03 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

quote:
That's an interesting theory; however I'd say its the same message as Staggering Gods: the modern gods of men. While there's the word "history" in the song and the word Aabylon, its just in rerference to the present (i.e. these present guys in the parking lot have a history of clap trap; New York and LA are presently acting like Abylon once did. The message overall seems to be: who is really our god in this day and age.

Not to detract from your theory; like you say its open to interpretation.
Jim

Thanks for your input, Jim. Technically, I think what you did was add to my theory. Wink

09-09-2002 00:07 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Shemp
unregistered

Okay... I'll put in my two cents...

A song that has always stirred my inner soul, yet is idiotic, is the kids nursery rhyme, Three Blind Mice . Not only is this song politically incorrect by todays measure, but it is voilent in the purest sense.

Written By: Unknown
Copyright Unknown

Three blind mice,
Three blind mice
See how they run,
See how they run!

They all ran after
The farmer's wife
She cut off their tails
With a carving knife
Did you ever see
Such a sight in your life
As three blind mice?

Why can't anyone write like this anymore?

Another plus is that it is the 3 Stooges theme song. Big Grin

09-09-2002 07:54
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

To one more hit the "on-topic" button.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...very few lines top "Grease is the word (it's the word, that you've heard) / It's got groove, it's got meaning.... yeah, grease is the &#$@*@ WAY WE'RE FEELING?????"

(alright, so Frankie Valli didn't quite sing it that way.....)

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-09-2002 13:17 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

the cows come home when I see you in your moo-moo Confused

09-09-2002 13:46 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Aargh, YES!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That entire SONG, in fact.... there are precious few DA songs I can't stand, but that's one of them....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-09-2002 13:49 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by carl
...very few lines top "Grease is the word (it's the word, that you've heard) / It's got groove, it's got meaning.... yeah, grease is the &#$@*@ WAY WE'RE FEELING?????"

(alright, so Frankie Valli didn't quite sing it that way.....)

You could find stupid, obnoxious lines in pretty much every song from Grease...
09-09-2002 15:35 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

I like Grease, and the soundtrack. Tongue

09-09-2002 15:37 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

I like it too... but some of the songs... Roll Eyes But how can you not love a movie that teaches girls that it's best to be a slut... Roll Eyes
09-09-2002 15:40 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

I like it too... but some of the songs... Roll Eyes But how can you not love a movie that teaches girls that it's best to be a slut... Roll Eyes

AHHHHH - what a moral
every high school male's dream (well - almost)

09-09-2002 16:23 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Just ONE stupid line please!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH