Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule 14 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0014 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-10-2007 16:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

from my show review post

THIS WAS THE FIRST NIGHT OF THE TOUR THAT THEY HAD THE NEW SWIRLING EDDIES DISC FOR SALE! Pleased We went ahead and bought one so we could get it signed in person, even though we preordered. I was much more impressed with the overall finished product than I thought I would be based on the 2 rough mixes that I heard. I even dig the Cardboard Box song with the xylophone a little now. Overall it is different than past SE releases but I think lyrically still a definite Eddies' thing. Musically I think it leans more towards Terry's solo efforts over the years than anything else SE I have heard. The songs are a variety of styles and speeds musically, so there's probably at least a few tracks every fan could really dig regardless of their favorite past music from Terry/DA/SE.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-21-2007 04:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

NICE! Glad they got em, the manufacturer is a fan and tries to overnight stuff to them on tour when there is something new. We won't have them until Monday, I hope thery look good and sound real good. Everytime we send something off to manufacture, we collectively hold our breath until we see it and play it.

07-21-2007 07:22 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

The more I listen to this, the more I think it really sounds like the Eddies. Terry's vocals really sound like Camarillo. Mike did a great job on guitar and upon a closer listen, the guitar parts do sound different overall than the Dogs. I think what caught me off guard is overall the tempo is a little slower than what I expected. However, It All Depends starts out slow but then rocks out. I think it is my favorite and I'm soooo glad it is the one they played the night we saw the Dogs. Pleased

And, ... well, ... I never would have quite expected this but it includes a Wacky Fan letter of sorts, ... sort-of in reverse. Don't want to quite spoil the surprise, but ya DAmbers (and former DAmbers) just wait. Not sure what emoticon to follow that with. Is there one for "everything"?

As far as the packaging, I do wish it came in an normal jewel case, but the booklet is quite nice and overall cool eddies-like graphics.

Got a few miles left ...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 07-22-2007 23:20.

07-22-2007 23:19 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

OK, so listening with headphones most of the first half is slow, then the second half rocks pretty good.

Like I said before, there should be something every fan of any part of Terry (DA, SE, solo, Lost Dogs) would like on this release.

Got a few miles left ...

07-23-2007 11:11 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

the finished product rocks and I feel it is a solid eddies release. i'm glad we even got another eddies release in the first place - that is certainly something to be thankful for. at best i can only nit-pick at the xylophone or whatever minor things are really just more personal preferences of mine than anything. Red Face Big Grin

i burned a copy to take to listen to at work, along with some of my other favorite SE tracks off of other CDs. I am amazed at Terry's vocals on this thing still being in top form and quite comparable to the much earlier SE stuff. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-23-2007 15:32 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

so far, I think Zoom Daddy is overall better than TMTSTM. but that I would even be considering such a question should say how good the new SE is. Pleased

I think that the Lost Dogs' "Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar" and especially "Get Me Ready" sounds more Eddies-like.

Don't hear anything on this SE that sounds Dogs-like, though. It's quite the solid piece of work. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

07-24-2007 15:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Yeah, I think I like Zoom Daddy slightly better than the newest one, but that is as much my personal preferences as anything. I do find when my custom-burned CD (new with old SE) gets to the end of the new, I find myself wanting to start over and just listen to the new CD. It really is that good. And I find myself wanting to listen to just the new CD (no other music) and absorb it really well.

Reasons I like Zoom Daddy better:
1) The Twist - hard to top that song
2) ZD has more songs.
3) Drums & Percussion - Steve is a great guy and I really like everything he has done with The Choir, but the xylophone and some percussive things on the new one aren't quite my cup of tea. They do work with the songs, though.
4) Guitar - I think Mike is an all-around better guitarist than Jerry, but I miss the slightly more basic and looser style of Jerry, although I think Mike did extremely well getting a little different style and sound on the new disc. (I am assuming that Mike was the primary guitarist on the new album?)

I guess It All Depends how you look at these things? Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

07-27-2007 15:40 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

jerry played on it as well, right?

spot is listed as playing.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

07-27-2007 15:53 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Camarillo said Spot was on it, but we didn't ask for more detail at the time. Not sure what all hes doing.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-27-2007 20:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
digger digger is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-497.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2007
Location: " I caught sight of you and your beauty broke my heart" TST Bobcaygeon,Ont, Canada

I can't believe someone is selling the cd on ebay for 30 bucks!

07-28-2007 10:16 digger is offline Send an Email to digger Search for Posts by digger Add digger to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for digger
Ubique Epoque

snow in a can is just a weird song. It reminds me of Rob and Carolee's off Little, Big. Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

07-28-2007 10:53 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

it reminds me more of the sequel to Snowball..
I like that a lot.
Its a great song.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-28-2007 14:24 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

It also reminds me of a continuation of Buechner...not lyrically in the same vien..but overall musically.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-28-2007 14:28 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

waiting patiently.......................................................sort of. Tongue

07-28-2007 14:35 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

So far my favorite songs are
1. the midget, the speck and the molecule
2. my cardboard box
3. a humble man rises
and favorite of the favorites is...
4. this is the title/the old hitchhiker

My wife likes madonna inn and the song could have fit well on Songs of the Heart which is her favorite DA album. She is a sexy romantic, what can I say.
07-28-2007 23:18 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

1 and 2 are excellent, but i would have to put It All Depends right up there with them. I think it has Terry's best vocal on the album (alternating between soft/clear and passionate very nicely) as well as a great message.

And after hearing the album, i must say that I fully support Terry in calling out...

that cheesey steak house in my home county, Madonna Inn. It is another excellent song, though I can't believe anyone would write a lyric about the place without mentioning the black forrest cake or the monte cristos. The waterfall toilet is nice but doesn't compare to them. My family is there every Monday night this summer until about 11 PM for the swing dancing (i'm there for the cake).

And to answer the M the S and the M question,
yes i can see you (but not always clearly)

Does the Cardboard Box remind anyone else a little of Andrew Byrd?

07-29-2007 11:08 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Salton Sea? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'll have to wait until next paycheck to get MSM, but I'm intrigued by the title 'Salton Sea', since I have acquaintances (and sometimes relatives) in the Imperial Valley area. Could anyone take the trouble of posting the lyrics? I'd really like to see TST's (or Camarillo's, as the case may be) take on the folks/history of that region. It really is quite a unique place (wondering if there's any mention of Slab City/Salvation Mountain in there).
07-29-2007 11:53 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Currently, I'm partial to:

It All Depends
Salton Sea (No mentions of Slab City/Salvation Mountain)
Tremolo

-jolly
07-30-2007 11:23 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: Salton Sea? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
I'll have to wait until next paycheck to get MSM, but I'm intrigued by the title 'Salton Sea', since I have acquaintances (and sometimes relatives) in the Imperial Valley area. Could anyone take the trouble of posting the lyrics? I'd really like to see TST's (or Camarillo's, as the case may be) take on the folks/history of that region. It really is quite a unique place (wondering if there's any mention of Slab City/Salvation Mountain in there).

I only have a burned copy here at work without art. I thought surely one of the audioris would have put the lyrics up on the site by now?! I believe they were credited with some portion of layout or something, so I would think they would already have it electronically (versus one of us typing it in)?

Got a few miles left ...

07-30-2007 11:28 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Swirling Eddies - the midget, the speck and the molecule

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH