Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Who would you compare DA and the Eddies to? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Who would you compare DA and the Eddies to?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Who would you compare DA and the Eddies to? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Heres a tough one...

If you were trying to give a friend an example of what DA sounds like by using other popular bands and artists - who would you list?

What if you were trying to explain what the Eddies sound like?

Of course, they don't sound exactly like anyone else - but are there a certain list of artists or bands that you would put in a similar category musically? If so, reply and list which ones you'd list for each band.

- Daniel Amos:

- Swirling Eddies:

- Terry Scott Taylor:

- The Lost Dogs:

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-18-2007 13:48 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

- Daniel Amos: Beatles for versatility

- Swirling Eddies: Very difficult to answer...have to think a while.

- Terry Scott Taylor: Dylan/Lennon

- The Lost Dogs: Travelling Willburries

08-18-2007 14:06 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-228.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I tend to look at the overall body of work Terry has amassed as a whole, which makes it alot easier to distill it down to a Lennon/Wilson/Zappa combination. There's alot more to it, of course, but that's the essense.

If someone were to ask me to fill in the blank..."Terry Taylor is to Christian music as (blank) is to Mainstream music..." I'd go with Frank Zappa.

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Change the passage of light
Gravity and distance
Change the color of right

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Space Ghost: 08-18-2007 14:52.

08-18-2007 14:44 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I do kind of divide it down since each entity is like a different direction, but yeah over all it has that Taylor made thread running through every bit of it. So in that sense I see the Lennon/McCartney thing, the vast versatility. Going in many directions, experimental, not wanting to do the same thing over and over.

I think I do divide it down more so for other people, if I know someone loves county music I might suggest the Lost Dogs as opposed to the Eddies for example. You like Johhny Cash? Try these guys... kind of thing.

I have heard people say the Eddies sound like the Rolling Stones or David Bowie which is weird to me, but you just never know.

08-18-2007 14:56 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

It's funny you mentioned Bowie. I almost said him instead of Brian Wilson.

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Gravity and distance

08-18-2007 15:11 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah "Little Big" is very Brian Wilson, its funny that "Meal" was inspired by "Vegetables" from Terry's perspective, I just never made the connection until he said that.

08-18-2007 15:15 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

By the way, heres the reason I'm asking.. I'm setting up pages for these bands on a website that asks me for a list of "similar artists". I guess the page recommends them to people based on this information. So, any suggestions would be helpful. Its something we've been asked before but its always hard to come up with a very decent list.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-18-2007 15:58 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

With DA that's a little difficult - one would need to specify a time period, or even a single album, to narrow it down. Let's try this:

1970s: Early Eagles drive down Abbey Road, and pick up Cheap Trick on the way.
1980s: Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Cars, Psychedelic Furs, Bowie, and yes, the Fab Four.
1990s to present: Couldn't really say, but I understand FRANK BLACK was a MAJOR inspiration. Big Grin
08-18-2007 16:17 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Big Grin
08-18-2007 16:22 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

This would be my list:

Daniel Amos -- similar to the Swirling Eddies
Terry Scott Taylor -- in the same vein as Lost Dogs
The Swirling Eddies -- Daniel Amos
Lost Dogs -- kind of like Terry Scott Taylor only with more people
08-18-2007 16:51 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee
This would be my list:

Daniel Amos -- similar to the Swirling Eddies
Terry Scott Taylor -- in the same vein as Lost Dogs
The Swirling Eddies -- Daniel Amos
Lost Dogs -- kind of like Terry Scott Taylor only with more people

Good descriptions!

Tongue

08-18-2007 18:31 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Not sure, but I'll list each album and probably come back and modify as I think of more. This is really tough. Overall, it's the Beatles and Brian Wilson influence.

Daniel Amos - Eagles
Shotgun Angel - Eagles, Bryan Wilson
Horrendous Disc - Beatles, ELO
Alarma - Cars?
Doppelganger - Bowie (Scary Monsters)
Vox Humana -
Fearful Symmetry -
Darn Floor, Big Bite - Talking Heads
Kalhoun -
Motorcycle - Beatles
Bibleland - garage rock, grunge
Songs Of The Heart -
Mr. Buechner's Dream -

Let's Spin -
Outdoor Elvis -
Zoom Daddy - Some songs are unlike anything else. Some have a Rolling Stones sound
Midget, Speck, And The Molecule -

Lost Dogs - Brian Wilson, Beatles, Country Rock

08-18-2007 18:39 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

On the first two Eddies discs, Camarillo's got a very Stan Ridgway/Wall Of Voodoo thing going with his vocals, so you could write that down...
08-18-2007 18:40 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
RocketPacks
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 05-11-2007

Hm, that is a tough one. Have to think about it for a while.
08-19-2007 14:40 RocketPacks is offline Search for Posts by RocketPacks Add RocketPacks to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Daniel Amos - David Bowie and The Eagles are about the only artists/bands that are really similar in my collection. The Northern Pikes' "Teenland" has that New Wave/Alarma! type sound...

08-20-2007 01:02 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Ceremonial Kernel

Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

The Swirling Eddies - Huey Lewis & The News

08-20-2007 01:03 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Space Ghost
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by arcticsunburn
The Swirling Eddies - Huey Lewis & The News

"I'm afraid you're just too darn loud."

Makes the color of right

Gravity and distance
Gravity and distance

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Space Ghost: 08-21-2007 08:08.

08-20-2007 01:22 Space Ghost is offline Send an Email to Space Ghost Search for Posts by Space Ghost Add Space Ghost to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Tongue

08-21-2007 00:43 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Kalhoun and early Bogmen have some very similar sounds (IMHO)

lik englewood here - could that be on Kalhoun??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrT1DMjyru8

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
08-21-2007 09:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

spinnin ialarma! now

to me sounds (at times) like a lot of Elvis Costello in that time-
faces in the window..n others..
yet it has its own spin on it all.

like Cloak n dagger- its just them with an 80s sound - not comparable

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 08-21-2007 10:31.

08-21-2007 10:30 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Who would you compare DA and the Eddies to?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH