Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It's just a sacred kinda thing
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by James
One of the things I think is cool about Kalhoun is how they'd change the chords sometimes on the second or third pass of the verse or chorus. They do this in Gloryhound and Gate of the World. Don't know if this was intentional or if they were still learning the songs as they recorded, but I think it sounds very cool.

The different chords on the last Gate chorus are definitely intentional, and awesome! I don't think I've ever noticed anything like that on Gloryhound -- will have to listen for it.

10-08-2007 09:57 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yep DFBB was groundbreaking and still sounds fresh today. I still can't get over how much better it sounds than some of the previous New Wave stuff with the dinky-sounding drum machines and keyboards - so 80s (even though the lyrics were still pretty good).

I transferred Vox Humana, DFBB, Motorcycle, and Bibleland from cassettes to MP3 yesterday. I think DA really got going with DFBB. While I really enjoy everything since DFBB, every time I hear it I think it is their best as an entire work, although it edges some others out only slightly. I will be hearing it more often now. Pleased

Gotta figure out LP transfers and get Horrendous Disc and Doppelganger on MP3 CD next. I've only got one old boombox with a true Phono input (rather than just line-in for cassette or CD) that amplifies the turntable signal properly. It had too much tape noise to be useful for cassette transfer, but I am hoping it will work a little better on the records.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-08-2007 09:59 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

DFBB is actually one of my least favorite albums. The fault is mine, I'm sure, and I can understand the band wanting to go in a different direction after the Alarma Chronicles leading up to Fearful Symmetry (possibly my second favorite after MBD).

But back to Kalhoun, there are a few songs that are hard for me to swallow, notably "Father Explains" and "Anna," but the album has some songs that are among my very favorites, such as "Sweet Interior Glowing," "I Will Return," and especially "Gloryhound."
10-08-2007 12:14 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

DFBB doesn't sound finished to me sometimes. The growth of the band between DFBB and K is staggering.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Aqua Green Toupee: 10-08-2007 13:14.

10-08-2007 13:14 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I like all their stuff since DFBB and what's best is a lot of personal preference, no doubt. To me, DFBB is maybe something like 98% an ideal album and the rest are maybe in the upper 80's to mid 90's. Not that drastic of a difference. Smile

Got a few miles left ...

10-08-2007 15:53 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I always liked DFBB a lot for a few reasons:

1) Scary. I mean, it is a rock/pop record, but it has an unhinged quality to it that makes it dangerous. Doppelganger had it too but the overarching Alarma concept helped smooth out some of the jaggedness. It was, more than any other DA record up to that time, even too weird for my art-rock friends. That the band reached a point where they said, "we're going ahead and we don't sound like anybody we know of right now & it doesn't matter" was an incredibly brave thing for any band to do - Christian, secular or "other".

2) When it got pretty, it got very pretty. I'm thinking of the chorus of "The Unattainable Earth", the mood of "The Earth Household", the choir-like close of "The Shape Of Air".

3) When it got ugly, it got very ugly. The dissonance of "Safety Net", the near atonal aspects of the verse of "Pictures Of The Gone World" where everything is barely hanging together, "Darn Floor Big Bite" and how it grabs you by the l'apels and shakes you until the swiss vanilla booboo falls out.

4) Even with these disparate emotions at odds, everything sounds like it hangs together. These songs wouldn't fit on other DA albums and those other songs would feel alien and too round, too fleshy having been transplanted here. And to reiterate, no one sounded like this. Look on the Billboard 100 for this year and you'd hear nothing that came close in tone. We were still trying to rock like Kraftwerk with big keyboards. Only Peter Gabriel and U2 came close in aspiration, but both made sure their feet were grounded in pop. "Divine Instant" pretty much insists, "Why don't you tell us what we sound like".

It isn't my all-time favorite DA but it holds a special place for me. I felt an odd sense of pride knowing that this band in this oft-derided sub-sub-sub-subgenre slipped under the radar and dropped something brilliant that sent their richer, better-known contemporaries straight back to Kindergarten.

DwD
10-08-2007 15:55 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

Well, DFBB is great, for all those reasons. Compared to other bands, it kicks butt. I'm just talking about it by DA standards. Pleased Pleased Pleased Pleased
10-08-2007 16:55 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

kalhoun is great... Cool
but to say it's better that df is just crazy talk!!! Shocked

Tongue

Cool
10-08-2007 17:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ceremonial Kernel

No, no, no. Let's not have that kind of talk here. People have their favorites. "Best" is arbitrary. And if we start trafficking in those kinds of verities, someone will chime in with a comment about the superior musical acumen of the Tuxedo Clad Megastar.

Do you really want to throw that chum into the shark tank?
10-08-2007 18:25 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

What else are we supposed to do in here, trade recipes?
10-08-2007 19:01 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I make a mean bracciole.
10-08-2007 19:06 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

If it helps, I still think that DFBB is better than 99.44% of everything ever recorded. Big Grin
10-09-2007 08:46 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

You know, the last 24 hours or so I've been listening to DFBB a lot, and I;m not sure I fully appreciated it before. I'm gaining a whole new respect for it.
10-09-2007 09:40 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

I just got Horrendous Disc, Doppelganger, and Vox Humana transferred from LP/LP/cassete to MP3 files and had just earlier done DFBB, Motorcycle, and Bibleland. I am very glad I did not invest any $ getting HD, Doppelganger, VH on CD from ebay or whatever. They're decent and have a few bright spots, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify the $. I guess I would still buy reasonably priced reissues if they benefitted Terry.

Got a few miles left ...

10-09-2007 10:47 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee
You know, the last 24 hours or so I've been listening to DFBB a lot, and I;m not sure I fully appreciated it before. I'm gaining a whole new respect for it.

ahhhh...... you are beginning to believe! Shocked Big Grin
what has been said here and several other places is that you need to play it over and over and over and over.... again to finally get it...
once you do..... nothing else terry has done even comes close........... Shocked Crying Pleased

Cool
10-09-2007 11:25 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ubique Epoque

don't forget about Zoom Daddy too!

Got a few miles left ...

10-09-2007 11:47 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
I am very glad I did not invest any $ getting HD, Doppelganger, VH on CD from ebay or whatever. They're decent and have a few bright spots, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify the $.

So would you spew them back to the store?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by PuP: 10-09-2007 13:22.

10-09-2007 13:21 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by Aqua Green Toupee

ahhhh...... you are beginning to believe! Shocked Big Grin
what has been said here and several other places is that you need to play it over and over and over and over.... again to finally get it...
once you do..... nothing else terry has done even comes close........... Shocked Crying Pleased

I'm sick of having to make an effort to enjoy their music!

10-09-2007 13:23 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
I am very glad I did not invest any $ getting HD, Doppelganger, VH on CD from ebay or whatever. They're decent and have a few bright spots, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify the $.

nah, i wouldn't go that far. Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

10-09-2007 13:32 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

nah, i wouldn't go that far. Big Grin

i'm sick and tired of having to make an effort to read your posts! Mad

Tongue

Cool
10-09-2007 13:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It's just a sacred kinda thing

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH