Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Mike Stone. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mike Stone.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Mike Stone. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike "Clay" Stone
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mike Stone (a.k.a. Mike "Clay" Stone) (1951 – 2002) was an English recording engineer and record producer.

Stone was best known for his work with America, Asia (multiple albums), Blue Öyster Cult, George Carlin, Daniel Amos (Horrendous Disc), Foreigner, Journey, KISS, Queen (multiple albums), REO Speedwagon, Lou Reed, Frank Zappa and others. He also ran an independent record label Clay Records in the late 70s and early 80s in Stoke-On-Trent, and worked on the production of most of that label's releases, including Discharge's influential EP's and debut album. Stone also sang a lead vocal line in the song "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" on the Queen album A Day at the Races.

Stone began his career as an assistant recording engineer at the world famous Abbey Road Studios in England. At one point, while he was still a teenager, Stone even had the opportunity to work on some sessions for The Beatles' Beatles For Sale.

[edit] Selected discography
1973 Queen - Queen, Engineer
1974 Queen - Queen II, Engineer
1974 Queen - Sheer Heart Attack, Engineer
1975 Queen - A Night at the Opera , Engineer
1976 Queen - A Day at the Races, Engineer, Guest Vocalist
1977 Queen - News of the World, Engineer, Co-producer
1978 Peter Criss - Peter Criss, Engineer
1978 Daniel Amos - Horrendous Disc, Producer
1978 Paul Stanley - Paul Stanley, Mixer
1979 New England - New England, Producer, Engineer
1979 Shoes - Present Tense, Producer, Engineer
1981 Journey - Escape, Producer
1981 April Wine - The Nature of the Beast, Engineer, Co-producer
1982 Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing, Producer
1982 Asia - Asia, Producer
1982 April Wine - Power Play, Co-producer
1983 Asia - Alpha, Producer
1983 Journey - Frontiers, Producer
1984 Tommy Shaw - Girls with Guns, Producer
1985 April Wine - One for the Road, Co-producer
1986 Journey - Raised on Radio, Producer
1987 Whitesnake - Whitesnake, Producer
1987 Helix - Wild in the Streets, Co-producer
1988 Ratt - Reach for the Sky, Co-producer
1996 Ten - Ten, Co-producer and mixer
1996 Ten - The Name of the Rose, Co-producer and mixer
1997 Ten - The Robe, Mixer
This article about a British musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

This article on a record producer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_%22Clay%22_Stone"
Categories: 1951 births | 2002 deaths | British record producers | Audio engineers

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-02-2008 07:01.

02-01-2008 06:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thread Starter Thread Started by dennis
Thumb Up! This is cool, I hope this is true! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Stone even had the opportunity to work on some sessions for The Beatles' Beatles For Sale."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-01-2008 17:04.

02-01-2008 17:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

02-01-2008 17:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Roll Eyes Lying wikipedia

not that I know differently!

02-01-2008 18:02 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

If its the same one, Stone's mentioned briefly in Geoff Emerick's excellent book "Recording the Beatles." He did apparently start out as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road. Lots of engineers started out there as teenagers (including Emerick).

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-01-2008 18:14 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Lots of engineers started out there as teenagers .

I started out as a teenager. Oh sure I did the topless diaper gig (seems my underpants were always showing), slobbered profusely and was barely (or rarely) intelligible for a few years, but how different is that really from being a teenager?

The more startling discovery is the tendancy I have to retrograduation, or is that just my belt creeping up over my belly button? Time to get refitted for those Ben Davis overalls... love that gorilla.

shoot... what was ya'll yapping about anyway?

Psalm 119:83
02-01-2008 20:10 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
if its the same one, Stone's mentioned briefly in Geoff Emerick's excellent book "Recording the Beatles." He did apparently start out as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road. Lots of engineers started out there as teenagers (including Emerick).

I am pretty sure Alan Parsons started out as a teenage engineer as well at Abbey Road Studios for "Let it Be" and "Abbey Road."

02-01-2008 21:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Yup, I believe your right.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-01-2008 22:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Wonder how DA got hooked up with him? Bet that's a cool story.
02-01-2008 22:34 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka

That's a story I would like to hear! Pleased

02-01-2008 23:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I keep thinking about when I was in Jr High, and loved Queen
and Journey and Asia.

"Heat of the Moment" baby! Cool

02-02-2008 06:51 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:

That's a story I would like to hear! Pleased

Though I wonder if it was just a matter of hiring him? Confused

02-02-2008 06:53 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Well, that would explain why the band was broke at that time (cf: the "pumped way too much gas" anecdote).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 02-02-2008 11:52.

02-02-2008 11:52 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:

Well, that would explain why the band was broke at that time (cf: the "pumped way too much gas" anecdote).

Yeah. Maybe Uncle Terry can tell is the story someday?

Uncle Terry?

Uncle Terry???

02-02-2008 11:58 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I keep thinking about when I was in Jr High, and loved Queen
and Journey and Asia.

"Heat of the Moment" baby! Cool

I still like Queen and am still amused by Asia (have a couple of there records even.)

Not so much with Journey, anymore though. Tongue

02-02-2008 12:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Yup, I believe your right.

Thank you. Thank you very much! Cool

02-02-2008 12:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

I wonder if Ed always wore the white gloves in those days? Confused

02-02-2008 12:58 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

On the subject of DA's outsourced producers, I sometimes wonder if there was any hint of J.D. Brown's later unfortunate associations back in those Shotgun Angel days. Just one of those morbid things I think about when I'm not doing much...Confused
02-02-2008 16:02 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wonder? Frown

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-02-2008 16:21.

02-02-2008 16:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Of course, by "later unfortunate associations" I mean:

(jk)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 02-02-2008 16:27.

02-02-2008 16:26 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Mike Stone.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH