Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (11): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If history is an indicator, I don't think Terry is comfortable with a lot of exposure to the creative process, especially when it comes to the Internet. Would I read a journal like that? YES. Do I think it'll happen?

Well...? Uh... Hmmm.
02-11-2008 17:13 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sondance can continue with the historical journal?! Pleased Cool

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-11-2008 17:21 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

Alot of these ideas sound kind of tricky and I'm not sure I understand these single track rewards for pre-orders and what-not and secret web access threads with random tracks scattered throughout. Having old stuff hidden on the website like Waldo isn't exactly what I would think would be the sharpest idea.
There's two ways this could be done where it is more of a straightforward deal based on a couple of assumptions. There is some concert material around of varying degrees of quality. Especially for the poorer quality records, put the concert on a CD with the minimum of messing with it, put it into a simple, tasteful sleeve and put it out as "Audiori's Picks" or whatever. Sell it for 12 bucks or whatever. This is not a preorder, but a relatively cheap, easy way to put out a release fans may want that will turn a profit. Even if you use a track from that concert on a future release, there is a special pleasure of having the entire concert it came from. Heck, I'll be a sweetheart. I have a recording from a concert in 1993 that isn't even listed on your timeline. It's not terrific and the venue had poor acoustics, but it's a snapshot of history. Of course if DA hadn't had a tape rolling at that concert, shame on them -- they easily could have one, maybe Tom knows.
Second... and this depends on how long it takes to record the album... do what was done for John Wayne and Little Big ... halfway through the recording, capture some rough mixes/demos and release that ... preferably as a straight-up sale. You know something? I actually prefer a couple of the Ten-Gallon Hat cuts over the finished product. Selling a rough mix version only works well if the album isn't cut and mixed very quickly (in which case there are fewer differences). I understand that there are quality control things involved so maybe this particular item needs to be a pre-order. But if that's the case, then make it understood that the pre-order means getting 2 cds, rather than a wink and a nod and saying we're giving this special one as a reward for pre-ordering. If pre-orders are buying 2 cds (the demo/rough first, then the finished), then charge more than $15.
If you really do want to do some sort of MP3 download deal, isn't it possible to set up a section of the site with some songs from a particular era, say, and just say "if you want access, it'll cost $8" or whatever. It's not a preorder. It's just what it is -- the customer is getting access to that download area. It would be possible to have several different ones up at the same time -- maybe people aren't interested in "DAs Comedic Moments". And it would be nice if they were thematically linked, not a cassette dub from 1974, a HD outtake, a cut from 1987 and another from 1994.
Similar to the last idea, there had been some interesting radio-oriented CDs that came out: Motorcycle Tracks, the one from Little Red Riding Hood. Those included some really good outtakes ... I really liked the run-through of "Rocky Mountain Mines" and the backing tracks from Motor Cycle. I don't think anything like that has been done in quite some time. Those were both worthwhile releases.
The biggest advantage of these ideas is there isn't the impatience and acrimony of pre-orders and "hey, I paid 2 years ago and you guys are working on putting out HD and DFBB before this new one", blah blah. You order something, you get it. Yeah, maybe do the pre-orders, but it will be very close to the ship date and less confusion will result.
Best wishes in any case.
02-11-2008 17:35 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

How about that video form the Y2K concert Terry wasn't pleased enough with to go as a full release. It could be a bonus too.

Perhaps offer up the video as a bittorrent and the tracker is password protected that people can only get after they pay the money. Don't even have to pay for manufacturing then. People download, burn it themselves and print out whatever inserts you may include in the torrent.

Also saves on your bandwidth as the downloading is shared by all, as long as many keep seeding it.

02-11-2008 18:41 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

What we're suggesting isn't really a preorder.

Its buy this special release and you'll help generate funds for the new album at the same time. Then you'd get a copy of the new album when its available.

*If* something like this were to happen... we'd put the special release together ahead of time - before a single sale is made. That way, once people put up their money - they immediately download a full length CD with cover, etc.

I don't think it would necessarily be an exclusive collection... parts of it probably would be, but some of it may be sneak peek bonus tracks for the Deluxe reissue series that would eventually be released on those collections. Its very possible that we could make the entire thing available to the general public after the new project is paid for (or, at least, close to it).

This is the way that makes the most sense to me. We're avoiding the feeling that you're buying something and then waiting forever to get it. We're avoiding the weird instantly out-of-print rarities collection issue because we could always make the full thing available later. Anyone see any potential issues?

At this point, I'd really hate to tell folks they're going to get updates from the band or session stories or whatever... all of that stuff is always up in the air. Maybe it would be possible and maybe it wouldn't. We'd certainly encourage the fellas to do something like that, but.. sometimes its hard to work it out.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-11-2008 18:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Sounds good. If you make it happen, I'm in.

Oh, and, do it for Tim! (But not Berger. He's rich.)
02-11-2008 18:59 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I'd put cash up for it.

------------------------------------------------
Do it for Tim!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Captain Pedantic: 02-11-2008 19:38.

02-11-2008 19:37 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
If history is an indicator, I don't think Terry is comfortable with a lot of exposure to the creative process, especially when it comes to the Internet. Would I read a journal like that? YES. Do I think it'll happen?

Well...? Uh... Hmmm.

What about the Making of MBD DVD? Confused

02-11-2008 20:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
What we're suggesting isn't really a preorder.

Its buy this special release and you'll help generate funds for the new album at the same time. Then you'd get a copy of the new album when its available.

*If* something like this were to happen... we'd put the special release together ahead of time - before a single sale is made. That way, once people put up their money - they immediately download a full length CD with cover, etc.

I don't think it would necessarily be an exclusive collection... parts of it probably would be, but some of it may be sneak peek bonus tracks for the Deluxe reissue series that would eventually be released on those collections. Its very possible that we could make the entire thing available to the general public after the new project is paid for (or, at least, close to it).

This is the way that makes the most sense to me. We're avoiding the feeling that you're buying something and then waiting forever to get it. We're avoiding the weird instantly out-of-print rarities collection issue because we could always make the full thing available later. Anyone see any potential issues?

At this point, I'd really hate to tell folks they're going to get updates from the band or session stories or whatever... all of that stuff is always up in the air. Maybe it would be possible and maybe it wouldn't. We'd certainly encourage the fellas to do something like that, but.. sometimes its hard to work it out.

That sounds good.
I could "pretend" I'm buying the first release and someday down the road,
be it a year or two, whatever, get a "free" Da record.
Tongue Pleased Cool

02-11-2008 20:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
I'd put cash up for it.

Do it for Tim!

I'd contribute credit to the cause.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 02-11-2008 20:59.

02-11-2008 20:58 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Midget is awsome and it was great to see that the Lost Dogs played It All Depends in concert this last December.

I was thinking of them last night during the Grammys as today's music is horrible. What happened to real music played by real people that played real instruments?

I would be willing to pony up again. The investment is better than a 401k and you never need to pay Capital Gains Tax. Your children will never know real music if we don't fund DA/LD/TST/77s/SE/etc.

How much do you want and when?
02-11-2008 21:02 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

pony me in - or up !

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-11-2008 21:56 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Take back, all those things you said
waiting for your preorder

Hold on, to the dream we share
That Daniel Amos will return...

Turn back, from all that CCM
It's a load of carp for sure

Give up your cash to Terry
Dream this dream with me once more.....

Do it for T-i-i-im, do it f-or T-i-i-i-im

(Beat that, Berger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

or, beat that Berger!

www.smashthatcomputer.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wayneb: 02-12-2008 02:20.

02-12-2008 02:19 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Beat that Berger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-12-2008 05:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
Take back, all those things you said
waiting for your preorder

Hold on, to the dream we share
That Daniel Amos will return...

Turn back, from all that CCM
It's a load of carp for sure

Give up your cash to Terry
Dream this dream with me once more.....

Do it for T-i-i-im, do it f-or T-i-i-i-im

(Beat that, Berger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

or, beat that Berger!

well said!

02-12-2008 08:54 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

How did the Instruction Through Film sell?

Would a rarities disc be expected to sell better?

I would love to see more DA but I honestly don't think I would go for another preorder. Either have merchandise for sale or just call it an outright donation to support the recording.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
02-12-2008 09:31 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Well, the difference between Instruction Through Film and a rarities disc is that the disc would be, I assume, an online downloadable disc, not a physical disc. Therefore, all the manufacturing cost and distribution cost is defrayed and it all goes into the new DA fund.

And the rarities disc is more like a gift that is given for contributing to an outright donation. Some of the other preorder folks felt burned by the last go-round because there was nothing to show for it (at least for three years). This is something to show for it, something only pre-order-ers get that can be pulled together with a semblance of assurance and not subtract any money from the donation fund.
02-12-2008 11:24 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

dw

will you manage ME?

02-12-2008 12:24 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Bring it on, Mr. J.
02-12-2008 14:15 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Well, the difference between Instruction Through Film and a rarities disc is that the disc would be, I assume, an online downloadable disc, not a physical disc. Therefore, all the manufacturing cost and distribution cost is defrayed and it all goes into the new DA fund.

And the rarities disc is more like a gift that is given for contributing to an outright donation. Some of the other preorder folks felt burned by the last go-round because there was nothing to show for it (at least for three years). This is something to show for it, something only pre-order-ers get that can be pulled together with a semblance of assurance and not subtract any money from the donation fund.

I vote for the disc as I do not have a cd burner anymore! Crying

02-12-2008 15:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (11): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH