Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 New DA? Phy 02-09-2008 11:50
 RE: New DA? Berger Roy Al 02-15-2008 16:08
 RE: New DA? audiori 02-09-2008 13:03
 RE: New DA? DwDunphy 02-09-2008 13:18
 RE: New DA? audiori 02-09-2008 13:52
 RE: New DA? dennis 02-10-2008 00:10
 RE: New DA? wayneb 02-09-2008 13:52
 RE: New DA? DwDunphy 02-09-2008 14:34
 RE: New DA? audiori 02-09-2008 17:59
 RE: New DA? jiminy 02-09-2008 20:38
 RE: New DA? DwDunphy 02-09-2008 21:14
 RE: New DA? jiminy 02-09-2008 21:18
 RE: New DA? James 02-10-2008 18:49
 RE: New DA? audiori 02-10-2008 18:52
 RE: New DA? James 02-10-2008 19:01
 RE: New DA? brother joel 02-10-2008 19:55
 RE: New DA? DwDunphy 02-10-2008 21:12
 RE: New DA? jiminy 02-11-2008 08:53
 RE: New DA? Mountain Fan 02-11-2008 09:34
 RE: New DA? dennis 02-11-2008 14:32
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Phy Phy is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-494.jpg

Registration Date: 02-22-2007

New DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So I pulled out the Alarma! Chronicles for the first time in a long time and started wondering what a new project from them would sound like.

Has there been any rumbling on when DA will go back to the studio?

02-09-2008 11:50 Phy is offline Send an Email to Phy Homepage of Phy Search for Posts by Phy Add Phy to your Buddy List Add Phy to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Phy: MyriadPhy YIM Account Name of Phy: bio_phy View the MSN Profile for Phy
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

RE: New DA? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

.../ what? I don't have brothers. I have eggs. What's wrong with u people

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Berger Roy Al: 02-15-2008 16:16.

02-15-2008 16:08 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know Terry's wanted to do one for a long time.. or at least, at various times.. and I know Mike's encouraged him to do it recently since the 77s are working on a new one.

Beyond that.... the usual difficulties are there. Time/money/distance of band members/etc. Same sort of deal that created a three year production time on the Eddies album (and to a degree, however long the 77s record has been in the works.)

In the case of the 77s album though, someone came along and volunteered to put up a big part of the money. That smoothed things out for Mike and fellas to focus on just trying to work out schedules, etc. I think if the funding issue could be worked out in some way for DA, it would happen one way or another. That funding issue is a big obstacle though.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-09-2008 13:03 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know I'm tempting a classic, afterschool a** kicking here...

But...

...I'd pay a pre-order to make it happen.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 02-09-2008 13:19.

02-09-2008 13:18 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Actually.. I was thinking back to what had been talked about a while ago on the board....

The idea of doing a preorder where each person immediately gets "something"... a live disc or a collection of rarities or demos or whatever. It would have to be an inexpensive "something" otherwise you'd create too much debt to make it worth it... but if we could find the right thing it might work a little better than the way the Eddies thing worked. At least folks would immediately get something to watch, wear or listen to for their money.

I don't know.. we'll run some ideas by Terry and see if its something he would even consider at this point.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
02-09-2008 13:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Actually.. I was thinking back to what had been talked about a while ago on the board....

The idea of doing a preorder where each person immediately gets "something"... a live disc or a collection of rarities or demos or whatever. It would have to be an inexpensive "something" otherwise you'd create too much debt to make it worth it... but if we could find the right thing it might work a little better than the way the Eddies thing worked. At least folks would immediately get something to watch, wear or listen to for their money.

I don't know.. we'll run some ideas by Terry and see if its something he would even consider at this point.

I'm game. Big Grin

02-10-2008 00:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I'll buy a LOTTERY TICKET this week! Then, if.......

www.smashthatcomputer.com
02-09-2008 13:52 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

The Eddies MP3 thing worked okay, but if that becomes a way to facilitate a DA recording, you would need to provide enough 'funhouse' material to at least fill a single standard CD-R.

I think there would be a lot of available material to fit the bill - demos from Bibleland were up on MP3.com once, and I can assume Terry has other demos from other DA recordings. It needn't be demos from the forthcoming album. Also, a downloadable booklet and traycard would make for a kind of package and all this could be done with little to no dent on incoming budget funds...
02-09-2008 14:34 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Administrator

Yeah, thats not a bad idea...

Originally, that was the plan for the Eddies thing (cover, traycard, more tracks, etc). No one went into it with a real clear idea of what would be available musically since sometimes he makes demos, sometimes he doesn't. With Buechner's, it would have been quite a bit easier I think because of the volume of material and the overall longer production time. But we all thought there'd still be enough scraps here and there to put something fun together. There was even the idea of recording something especially for it. BUT... obviously.. with all of the difficulties in getting the thing produced, there really wasn't anything other than the final recorded songs. We had the disc of early mixes - "Midget Roughs" (which the preorder MP3s came off of) - but even some of those tracks were not too different than the final mixes. We honestly started digging through other tapes looking for Eddies-related stuff to give people, but there just isn't a lot that hasn't already been released in one way or another.

Doing a mixture of random DA oddities from various years would certainly be easier. We might even be able to throw a couple of live bootlegs into the mix.

We'll send all of this to Terry and see what he thinks. Not a lot of time has passed since the release of Midget and I think much of the focus is still on that one.. getting some distribtion, etc.. but.. its not bad to start thinking about the future given how much time it sometimes takes for something like this to come together.

02-09-2008 17:59 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

ya know - thats a relatively simple and very COOL idea.

sort of an "instant reward" type of thing..

Even if you could "funhouse style" a preorder which would unlock a thread and result in getting a lil lump of rare mp3s ..something to keep all at ease ...cuz after all-you got something on the front end of it.

All it would take (in simple terms) is an agreement of what you may have already in the vault thats expendable-

Show Me the Thread!

(n I'll show you the money!)

This could be used to bolster things in the works-your Ultimate HD for instance.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-09-2008 20:38 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I think that this is probably the easiest thing to pull together that would provide the best bang for the buck - and the fact that it all stays digital means almost zero physical material costs.

And for what it's worth, I'd gladly donate what services I can to make this happen (liner notes essay? I can do that!)
02-09-2008 21:14 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well - someone can send me all the tracks that were ever recorded..you know- just to sort through and stuff for suggestions ...and .....well...

ok ok - it didnt sound good even when I started... Cool

02-09-2008 21:18 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

The only problem I see with dipping into the vaults (i.e. demos and unreleased tracks from past albums) is that it would diminish the possible extra material for the eventual reissues of the discography. Otherwise, I like the idea that's being kicked around.
02-10-2008 18:49 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Administrator

I was thinking about that too. We'd almost have to limit it to "leftovers" and "oddities" that wouldn't really fit on a regular release... something that isn't directly connected to a specific album or whatever. That and some extra live material that we may not have enough of to make a full live album out of.

I suppose we could throw in some of the "loose ends" type tracks as well, just as a bonus. Might as well bootleg the bootleggers.

02-10-2008 18:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Might as well bootleg the bootleggers.

Amen to that.
02-10-2008 19:01 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

I would strongly support this idea. A new DA album would be great! In fact getting stuff from the DA archives would be great! Here is a thought, a while back terry released some Avacado club cds that did not get wide distribution. I would love a chance to get these. They could be included in an MP3 funhouse to support pre-orders along with the other stuff.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
02-10-2008 19:55 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I think it comes down to this: yes, releasing the demos as a pre-order premium dilutes the punch of reissues, but it helps bring about a new recording. It's going to depend on which direction seems most pragmatic.

Any direction this takes makes one thing clear, and that is that the material used for any pre-order premium has to be free and clear for usage, otherwise it will be cost for the sake of getting revenue, which just ain't working.

Perhaps boundaries need to be in place. Only one song from each album, rather than everything that is available. Essentially, the raw cut of "Constance Of The Universe" but nothing more from Bibleland. That way, only "Constance" gets repeated should the reissue happen. Consequently, this still creates a CD-R of some fan worth - a sort of retrospective of the band's output, only from the other side of the creative process.

Can you tell I really want a new DA recording to happen? Do it for Tim! Do it for Tim!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 02-10-2008 21:13.

02-10-2008 21:12 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Do it for Tim!

theres catchy phrase....

02-11-2008 08:53 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

i would rather see extras and oddities used for official releases and not confined to a limited fan-only release to support a new album, no matter how rare or rough

maybe another option is to have some of this type of material available NOW for those that pre-order, with the promise to make it available later to the general public for a larger price, after the release of the new album. Say charge $30 for preorders and they get a oddities CD NOW and the album when it comes out. For those choosing to wait maybe they have to pay $25 for the oddities CD and maybe $15-$20 for the new CD when it is available (a few years?)

i hate to see rare stuff going on ebay for high$. also, i feel a little bad copying rare stuff for others but i would do so if it wasn't available from DA or elsewhere. For example, I preordered DA Shotgun Angel 30th anniv. CD. If I was going to give this as a gift to someone (obtained from DA webstore or elsewhere) you can bet I would copy the extra CD that I got as a pre-orderer and give that too.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 02-11-2008 09:36.

02-11-2008 09:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Maybe bootleg concerts that would maybe never otherwise see offical release?
There has to be some cool concerts squirreled away in Ed or Tom's or Terry's garage! Cool

02-11-2008 14:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH