Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page R.I.P. Larry Norman
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

the break-up song. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'VE GOT TO LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT YOU

You came into my life, you took me off the shelf
You told my name to me and taught me what to do.
But then you went away and left me by myself,
I feel completely lost and lonely without you.

Why'd you go, baby? I guess you know,
I've got to learn to live without you.
I've got to learn to live without you, without you.

Today I thought I saw you walking down the street
With someone else, I turned my head and faced the wall.
I started crying and my heart fell to my feet
But when I looked again it wasn't you at all.

Why'd you go, baby? I guess you know,
I've got to learn to live without you, without you.
It's just no good without you, without you.
It's just no good without you, without you.
It's just no good without you.

02-27-2008 14:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.internetmonk.com/articles/L/larry.html

02-27-2008 14:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-652.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I regret not getting into Larry's music sooner.
Rest in the Savior, Larry.
I've been sitting on this vinyl for a while now. I bought some albums at a garage sale and some local radio wax was included. I didn't have anything to play it on until I got the USB turntable.
I gave it a spin this morning, burning the album to cd for an friend who's an old fan of Larry.
A couple songs struck me in their complexity and emotion.

I've been missing out.

02-27-2008 18:21 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Missing out, indeed... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ladrtrk55

Ironically, most of the songs on this album were written by Tom Howard...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 02-27-2008 22:49.

02-27-2008 22:49 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

RE: Missing out, indeed... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There are no liner notes so I'm without a clue as to who is who or what is played by who.

02-27-2008 22:54 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Man haven't been here in a while. First time in a long time. Didn't expect this.

quote:
And to our dear dead dears
if there's anywhere to be, then
you must be there
And to our dear dead dears
If there's anything to know, then
you must know it

I'll never look at a Cracker Jack prize the same again

RIP LARRY FLY FLY

02-27-2008 23:27 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

RE: Missing out, indeed... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
There are no liner notes so I'm without a clue as to who is who or what is played by who.

If you are referring to the Quiet Night album, that was a compilation album of a three album box set he released in 1985 to his mailing list called "Barchaelogy". Two of the albums "Letter of the Law" and "Labour of Love" were basically covers of Tom Howard songs he recorded around 1983. I'm unsure if they were recorded in California or England, and whether it various "Young Lions" band members or possibly members of the Norman Barratt Band. When Larry did the album his voice was abit shot from a cold and maybe too much singing and you can hear it. The third album is the original and very rare 1970 album "Street Level". The two tracks from side two of "Street Level" that appear on Quiet Night are "Sigrid Jane" and "I Don't Wanna Lose You" and you can tell those tracks sound sonically rougher and different than the pop rock sound of the other tracks on Quiet Night. Larry is playing his classical guitar on those two tracks along with some studio cats including (I believe) Ray Charles bass player. Those are the only two songs on the album he wrote.
02-28-2008 00:29 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

I'm stupified... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Unbelievable...

Those are the 2 cuts I found to be most resonant, and real. I might not have "gotten" Sigrid at the time.
And "I Don't Want to Lose You" would not have even been considered....before my divorce.

If Larry was not living it, he was a genius at conveying the pain to those who thought they were beyond it.

02-28-2008 01:28 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
http://www.internetmonk.com/articles/L/larry.html

"My songs weren't written for Christians.

No, it was not a Christian album for those believers who wanted everything spelled out.

It was more like a street fight. "

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-28-2008 11:56.

02-28-2008 11:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

a christian who kicks burro..
my kind of guy.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
02-28-2008 12:13 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
a christian who kicks burro..
my kind of guy.

THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL
i was born and raised an orphan
in a land that once was free
in a land that poured its love out on the moon
and i grew up in the shadows
of your silos filled with grain
but you never helped to fill my empty spoon

and when i was ten you murdered law
with courtroom politics
and you learned to make a lie sound just like truth
but i know you better now
and i don't fall for all your tricks
and you've lost the one advantage of my youth

you kill a black man at midnight
just for talking to your daughter
then you make his wife your mistress
and you leave her without water
and the sheet you wear upon your face
is the sheet your children sleep on
at every meal you say a prayer
you don't believe but still you keep on

and your money says in God we trust
but it's against the law to pray in school
you say we beat the russians to the moon
and i say you starved your children to do it

you are far across the ocean
but the war is not your own
and while you're winning theirs
you're gonna lose the one at home
do you really think the only way
to bring about the peace
is to sacrifice your children
and kill all your enemies

the politicians all make speeches
while the news men all take note
and they exagerate the issues
as they shove them down our throats
is it really up to them
whether this country sinks or floats
well i wonder who would lead us
if none of us would vote

well my phone is tapped and my lips are chapped
from whispering through the fence
you know every move i make
or is that just coincidence
well you try to make my way of life
a little less like jail
if i promise to make tapes and slides
and send them through the mail

and your money says in God we trust
but it's against the law to pray in school
you say we beat the russians to the moon
and i say you starved your children to do it
you say all men are equal all men are brothers
then why are the rich more equal than others
don't ask me for the answer i've only got one
that a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son

02-28-2008 12:14 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

prophetic
no wonder he didn't make millions
02-28-2008 14:07 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Larry was really a round peg in a square hole

the problem was- he knew it.
but damb - his music really rings loud in my ears now..
and theres nothing left to question.

02-28-2008 15:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

NPR on Larry...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...toryId=64442288

02-28-2008 16:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

I've been listening to a band called "As I Lay Dying", a brutal metal band made up of Christians. They play with the absolute foulest, most hellish death metal bands on Earth, here and in Europe.
Thanks God for these guys.
And, thank God for Larry Norman. He paved the way for us to take God's word straight out to those who need to hear it. In places most Christians would deem absurd.

02-28-2008 18:04 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I've been listening to a band called "As I Lay Dying", a brutal metal band made up of Christians. They play with the absolute foulest, most hellish death metal bands on Earth, here and in Europe.
Thanks God for these guys.
And, thank God for Larry Norman. He paved the way for us to take God's word straight out to those who need to hear it. In places most Christians would deem absurd.

Is this the band??

http://www.myspace.com/asilaydying

02-28-2008 18:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1921620

Here's another link to a related npr recording that actually refers to the 77's and Drowning with Land in Sight

02-28-2008 21:48 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

oops, that was obviously way off topic, sorry...

02-28-2008 21:49 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
ladrtrk55
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Thank God for these guys.

Is this the band??

http://www.myspace.com/asilaydying

yep

02-28-2008 22:35 ladrtrk55 is offline Search for Posts by ladrtrk55 Add ladrtrk55 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I thank the Lord for some of these great mems of Larryboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EdtqGB-Yx0&feature=related

I loved this video- (it was the subtitles that made me grab it- Poika that I am)
but its a very poignant tune of his I've never heard.
the man had his moments..for sure.

02-28-2008 23:31 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » R.I.P. Larry Norman

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH