Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I agree that many bands are unintentionally affected by what the mainest of streams is doing.......
its all you hear everywhere(at the given time)

- and I think as a musician it makes the tuning fork hum, and you pick up on it in your own style and creative way.

Not plagerizing- but it just occurs. Why would- say- the Beatles want to sound like the Beach Boys in any way-? - but they openly admitted to being affected by what was being broadcast at the time

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-14-2008 23:26 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Of course. Nevermind changed the whole music industry from lookinig and "sounding" like this:

To looking and sounding like this:

and this:

and even this:

More stripped down, basic and "honest." IMHO.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-15-2008 04:13.

03-15-2008 04:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

"...More stripped down, basic and "honest." IMHO."

Which now sounds dated, too. Now everyone wants to sound like this...

And this...

And a little like this...

03-15-2008 08:14 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

^Yup. Frown

03-15-2008 08:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I always heard The Kinks when hearing "Constance",

Me too.

As far as Steely Dan, I was specifically referring ONLY to the lead guitar solo in the middle of the song ... it sounds a lot like Elliot Randall's guitar solo on Reeling In The Years.

The overall song sounds nothing like SD but I do really like the overall feel and progression of it.

I also hear that guitar tone on "Bodhisattva", so I know just what you mean. Structurally, and using inverts of the chords of "Tired Of Waiting For You", it's Kinky.

let's see if i remember correctly? inverted chords are where the root is played on the highest-pitched string rather than the lowest-pitched one? and usually only 3 or perhaps 4 strings are played instead of 5 or 6 (so notes aren't usually doubled)?

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-15-2008 08:55 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Close. Inverted chords are ones where the root of the chord is not the lowest note.
03-17-2008 08:59 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
More stripped down, basic and "honest." IMHO.

Yep. Still like "Nevermind". Though "In Utero" is probably my favorite. "Serve the Servants" is one of my favorite tracks.

quote:
Now everyone wants to sound like this...

Blech!!!!

In the mid to late 60's, popular music and innovation and artistry actually combined. That happened somewhat in the early 90's, too, and most of us music fans are waiting to see it happen again so that our kids stop listening to crap!

Although there are some (not very much, though) good top 40 songs in all the mainstream genres (rock, r&b, crap, country, etc.,) they're so few and far between.

As for me, I'll be glad when the whiny, pseudo-punk band concept dies. Oh Green Day, what have ye wrought? Fall Out Boy and Plain White T's, that's what!

03-17-2008 09:56 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2008/03/17/2008-03-17_mariah
_carey_poised_to_tie_record_for_no-1.html

03-17-2008 10:02 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Tongue! How about this record? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

During the week of 4 April 1964, The Beatles held twelve positions on Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, including the top five positions, which has never been accomplished by any other band or artist to date.

1 "Can't Buy Me Love" (Capitol Records),
2 "Twist and Shout" (Tollie Records),
3 "She Loves You" (Swan Records),
4 "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Capitol)
5 "Please Please Me" (Vee-Jay)

In addition, seven other Beatles singles occupied lower places on the chart.

03-17-2008 10:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

I think this thread has lost focus! Shocked

"Theo's Logic" is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-27-2008 18:13 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Low Crawls and High Times Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Bibleland is one of my least favorite DA albums. Bibleland is a very good album. Every DA album is, at least, very good.
I love Out In The Cold, especially the bass line. This, and the bass line to the 77's God Sends Quails, are two of my favorites. (I know Tim was never in the 77's). Mr. Chandler is such a great bass player...in fact, I purchased Fernando Ortega's album Home (which is actually pretty good) just because I heard he played bass on it.
The song that is most personal to me is Bakersfield. My in-laws live in Lake Isabella (they own a restaraunt there), which is a 40 minute drive east of Bakersfield through a winding canyon road, and each visit usually means a trip to Bakersfield for supplies. Nobody ever wants to go to Bakersfield, but, you know, for family, you'll do it.
Well, about 10 months ago, my father-in-law passed away at a Bakersfield hospital in much the same manor as Terry's father. I often wonder if it was the same hospital, perhaps even at the hands of the same doctors.
Incompetence, tubes and wires
Indifference, fools and liars
Aggravate, regulate, resuscitate
suffocated him

It's really sad to think about, really. But, even through the pain, God is still there, feeding us manna from Wendy's, I guess.
I wouldn't ever go back to Bakersfield if I could help it.
To get back on track, I give Bibleland a spin from time-to-time, but, mostly, I just listen to those two songs.

07-04-2008 15:19 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Thumb Up! Thanks for the thoughts. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Love the BibleLand. Cool

I know I am in the minority on this one! Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 07-04-2008 18:01.

07-04-2008 18:00 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

Whoo hoo! My thread is back like Lazarus!
07-04-2008 20:01 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Riches to rags I come from the grave,
Moved by the power of your voice.

07-04-2008 23:28 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Oops Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
my father-in-law passed away at a Bakersfield hospital in much the same manor as Terry's father.

Oops. I meant Terry's grandfather, if I'm not mistaken.

07-06-2008 22:18 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
nwray1
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-13-2007

Love Bibleland! Gets better with each listen. What I'd like to add to all the above is the way this record ends, the last four songs, are genius. I have always admired the way Terry's records are structured, the way they flow, and Bibleland is a great example of this. It is almost a crime not to listen to this record from start to finish, every time!
07-07-2008 12:52 nwray1 is offline Search for Posts by nwray1 Add nwray1 to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Yes. I was just at the right time in my life to really appreciate Bibleland when it first came out.
I was thinking that my time as a relevant musician (all right....drummer) was pretty much over, and these guys who had been at it more than 10 years longer than me came out with this blast of energy, vitriol, and (somehow) reflectiveness that is Biblelend.

RIGHT NOW! RIGHT NOW!

There's an album in me yet...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
07-07-2008 17:53 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by nwray1
It is almost a crime not to listen to this record from start to finish, every time!

That is true of pretty much any DA, Eddie, TST outing.

07-07-2008 20:29 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
What I'd like to add to all the above is the way this record ends, the last four songs, are genius.

Funny - IMHO the album starts running out of gas right after "Constance Of The Universe"...

Guess it all depends on how you look at these things. Tongue
07-07-2008 20:30 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
What I'd like to add to all the above is the way this record ends, the last four songs, are genius.

Funny - IMHO the album starts running out of gas right after "Constance Of The Universe"...

Guess it all depends on how you look at these things. Tongue

What?! Shocked

How can you not love I'll Get Over It and Stone Away (She's Working Here I can understand, though I like it)? To me, those two songs offer a refreshing melodic break from the raucous ruckus of the middle portion of the album.
07-08-2008 10:14 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH