Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

YEEEEHAW! My Bibleland thread has really taken off! Pleased
03-12-2008 22:04 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

YEEEEHAW indeed! Pleased

03-12-2008 22:13 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

I was trying to decide my favorite song ...

I think I'll have to go with Constance of the Universe because I just dig the Steely Dan sounding lead guitar solo and the overall sound and progression of the song.

but then there's The Bubble Bursts ...

and Low Crawls and High Times ...

and Out in the Cold ...

and Stone Away ...

Broken Ladders to Glory and I'll Get Over It are beautiful but kinda out of place considering the others. I would've picked Stone Away or Constance over I'll Get Over It for the Greatest Hits CD.

Lately Out in the Cold and Stone Away sorta have double meanings for me in some ways. Crying

---------------

Out In The Cold
from the album "BibleLand"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor
©1994 Twitchen Vibes/B-1 Music/ Chenka-Chenka Music/ Word Music, ASCAP

We were fumbling for words
on that strange desperate night
My brain turned to sand
when your hair caught the light
I laughed so hard
a little too much
Then we dropped off the edge
with only a touch

Now I am out in the cold without you
Now I am out in the cold without you, without you

I was under some spell
and I'm hung over now
on these treacherous curves
where I lost you somehow
Was it a dream?
Was I such a fool?
I was your saint,
so bitter, so cruel

(and I'm looking for some grace to pull me through)

No, I won't go back to
that false promise land
where I was nailed to the sky
and you got blood on your hands
but I love you still
if that's what it is
I'm left with the chill
from the last dying kiss

and I'm looking for some grace to pull me through
'cos I am out in the cold without you...

-----------------

Stone Away
from the album "BibleLand"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and Ed McTaggart
©1994 Twitchen Vibes/B-1 Music/ Chenka-Chenka Music/ Word Music, ASCAP

Just as I was leaving
Just as I stopped feeling
Just as I was dying
and every word denying
I felt the wound
saw the empty room,
'Cos you had flown away

and just when I was sleeping
and just as I stopped breathing
and just when I'd grown colder
and thought that it was over
felt kingdom come
blood on my tongue
rolls the stone away

Now you fall like a shadow I cannot touch
And faith itself is half the battle, I don't have much
(roll the stone away, roll the stone away)

Just as worlds were ending
and just when I was winning
and just as the door was closing
and just as my hand was folding
the whole earth shakes
the stronghold breaks
so you can fly away

Now you fall like a shadow I cannot touch
And faith itself is half the battle, I don't have much
(roll the stone away, roll the stone away)

Well, it's good to know
you own my soul
and you have flown away
So how can I deny you
when I've walked beside you
Well I'm just a coward crawling
and I am an angel falling
Oh carry me
and bury me
then roll the stone away

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-12-2008 23:06 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Zoom Daddy also came out in 1994 and there's similar thematic elements in common with Bibleland.

Got a few miles left ...

03-12-2008 23:07 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Love it! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Low Crawls and High Times.

03-12-2008 23:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Funny you should say Steely Dan, MF. I always heard The Kinks when hearing "Constance", but I definitely get where you're coming from in the verse tone...
03-13-2008 06:02 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

I think my favorite is "She's Working Here."

03-13-2008 09:13 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

quote:
Originally posted by James
YEEEEHAW! My Bibleland thread has really taken off! Pleased

James James-
see NP thread.......

then hang your head in shame. Big Grin

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-13-2008 10:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

"I'll burst your bubble", indeed.

Mad
03-13-2008 11:27 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I always heard The Kinks when hearing "Constance",

Me too.

03-13-2008 16:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:

Me too.

As far as Steely Dan, I was specifically referring ONLY to the lead guitar solo in the middle of the song ... it sounds a lot like Elliot Randall's guitar solo on Reeling In The Years.

The overall song sounds nothing like SD but I do really like the overall feel and progression of it.

Got a few miles left ...

03-13-2008 20:52 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4

I thought Joey would respond to this by now.

03-13-2008 23:57 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

Stone Away Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I brought BibleLand into work for some enjoyable listening and noticed a couple of things...

Bibleland, Dig, and Kissers & Killers were all released in a 2-3 year period and all marked significantly heavier songs than the bands had previously released. Was something in the water?

Also what in tarnation is Tim doing on "Stone Away" and how had I missed it before? It's like it's a wiggling, atonal, restless improv. I'd like to see Bass Player magazine transcribe THAT bit of fun!
03-14-2008 11:45 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
Bibleland, Dig, and Kissers & Killers were all released in a 2-3 year period and all marked significantly heavier songs than the bands had previously released. Was something in the water?

Grunge, perhaps?

03-14-2008 11:56 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

I was hoping for something more along the lines of "The alterna-CCM musicians all had mid-life crisis at the same time"...
03-14-2008 13:59 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4

I thought Joey would respond to this by now.

I've been waiting too...

03-14-2008 19:15 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
quote:

Me too.

As far as Steely Dan, I was specifically referring ONLY to the lead guitar solo in the middle of the song ... it sounds a lot like Elliot Randall's guitar solo on Reeling In The Years.

The overall song sounds nothing like SD but I do really like the overall feel and progression of it.

I also hear that guitar tone on "Bodhisattva", so I know just what you mean. Structurally, and using inverts of the chords of "Tired Of Waiting For You", it's Kinky.
03-14-2008 20:10 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ubique Epoque

RE: Stone Away Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by uvulapie
I brought BibleLand into work for some enjoyable listening and noticed a couple of things...

Also what in tarnation is Tim doing on "Stone Away" and how had I missed it before? It's like it's a wiggling, atonal, restless improv. I'd like to see Bass Player magazine transcribe THAT bit of fun!

Musically, I think a lot of things were heavier about then. Lyrically they are maybe heavier in a spiritual sense too. Not sure about that. Dig is my favorite Adam Again and Kissers & Killers is usually my favorite Choir.

I had Stone Away on repeat some today. It really is a good song. I would have put it on the famous hits CD over I'll Get Over It easily. It also seems a bit like The Twist in a way.

Got a few miles left ...

03-14-2008 22:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
quote:

Me too.

I also hear that guitar tone on "Bodhisattva", so I know just what you mean. Structurally, and using inverts of the chords of "Tired Of Waiting For You", it's Kinky.

I also do love the Steely Dan, their lyrics are the best! Pleased

03-14-2008 22:52 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
quote:

Grunge, perhaps?

Or something that smelled like, well, you know...

Tongue Wink Pleased

03-14-2008 22:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH