Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Leroy's breakfast...

03-09-2008 06:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
please tell me the name of the band that you were in!

It was a band called The Elms. We were on Sparrow Records. I was with them for three and a half years. I did one independent album and one EP on Sparrow. I stepped down for a number of reasons, but mostly because I wanted to get married and made squat playing in the band. The band is still together and are currently signed to Universal South (as far as I know).

By the way (and I've mentioned this on the board before), I had Terry speak at my wedding and play a song, and the Lost Dogs played at the reception. Good times. (Terry, if you read this, thanks again.)
03-09-2008 08:40 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Never heard of the Elms, but found out through the power of Google.
Very nice, good stuff, what I heard.

I liked the "Hey, Hey" song.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-09-2008 10:05.

03-09-2008 10:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
and, wes! -- in 1994, during that tracking, i was using an Ampeg half stack (4 ten inch speakers) with my old GK 400B head (that thing is now 27 yrs old! it's an antique!! I'M an antique!!!)

recently, i've used, exclusively, amp simulators. the only recording i've done has been engineered by Derri, and he's really good at getting a sound with one or more of those modules.

FWIW, (and i think i've said this before but i'm going to say it again because it's about Gene, ) Gene, as a recording engineer, really loved low end and experimented with it a lot. he gave me many different sounds over the years, but the sound he captured on bibleland is the closest to what that rig sounded like as i stood in front of it on-stage at a live gig. i miss Gene more for other reasons, just simply as a friend, but i also owe him a lot for the sound he gave me on record.

I think that may be one of the best things about Bibleland, the sound and tone of your bass.
It really fits the rawness of the album coupled with the great tunes.

"Pete and repeat" reminds me of The Who at their best with the snearing
"Naw , naw naws" at the end.

You know what Tim?
When I asked about the break on "The Bubble Bursts" I was thinking of the weird break on "Pete and Repeat!"

So, what the heck is that effect? Shocked Confused

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-09-2008 10:21.

03-09-2008 10:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

quote:
Wes, you have to tell me if there is a Leroy's breakfast in the works. I'll bring the JD, Tim.

rockin' in the free world. (breakfast only)

and dennis, the break in "pete and repeat" is a guitar pick scraping some affected, muted, guitar strings -- not sure if it was greg or jerry
03-09-2008 15:46 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Wes, you have to tell me if there is a Leroy's breakfast in the works. I'll bring the JD, Tim.

rockin' in the free world. (breakfast only)

and dennis, the break in "pete and repeat" is a guitar pick scraping some affected, muted, guitar strings -- not sure if it was greg or jerry

Thanks, it sounds great! Pleased
I'm thinking I may have to listen to "BibleLand" on the way to work tomorrow! Pleased

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-09-2008 21:02.

03-09-2008 21:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
I'm thinking I may have to listen to "BibleLand" on the way to work tomorrow! Pleased

Right on, Dennis! If that's the case, this thread is doing it's job! Cool
03-09-2008 22:50 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Cool

What a good and noble work it is then! Pleased

03-10-2008 06:55 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I will wake up right here and now and now with a tune ot two

(brought it into work)

Np-
broken ladders for breakfast!

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-10-2008 07:55 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

I'll weigh in and say that there was a huge leap forward between my first impression of BIBLELAND and my current opinion of it.

This was especially true of "Bakersfield." When I first heard it, it made no sense to me, and the liner notes (quoted earlier) shed no light. Then I found out what it was really about, and it all snapped into place. It's now the track I most look forward to hearing when listening to the CD.

It can really make a difference to know the story behind a song.

03-10-2008 11:39 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

(

Upon listening to BL on the way to work, it struck me that the "Naw, Naw, Naw" part was at the end of Theo's Logic.

I guess no matter what song I think of from BL, my mind races to my favorite parts of the record and attaches it to that song I am thinking of..

On Pete and Repeat, it has that cool backwords sounding part I love so much.

What a great album.

03-10-2008 12:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

(

Upon listening to BL on the way to work, it struck me that the "Naw, Naw, Naw" part was at the end of Theo's Logic.

I guess no matter what song I think of from BL, my mind races to my favorite parts of the record and attaches it to that song I am thinking of..

On Pete and Repeat, it has that cool backwords sounding part I love so much.

What a great album.

03-10-2008 12:32 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4
I'll weigh in and say that there was a huge leap forward between my first impression of BIBLELAND and my current opinion of it.

This was especially true of "Bakersfield." When I first heard it, it made no sense to me, and the liner notes (quoted earlier) shed no light. Then I found out what it was really about, and it all snapped into place. It's now the track I most look forward to hearing when listening to the CD.

It can really make a difference to know the story behind a song.

Oh?? Do tell. Big Grin

03-10-2008 12:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

getting ready to run some errands. have to crank BL since I forgot to yesterday Red Face Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
03-10-2008 13:18 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
Oh?? Do tell. Big Grin

From the 1994 Terry interviews on this site:
quote:
I don't know much about Bakersfield. Part of the song is based on my own personal experience -- that was the death of my grandfather. Bakersfield was where we had to go and see him in the hospital. That song was written out of the experience of going to that particular city; my feelings towards the town were definitely colored by that sense of impending death. It could have really been any city.

(different interview)
My grandfather died in Bakersfield. We would have to travel off to Bakersfield to see him in the hospital in one of the bleakest towns on the face of the earth. He had always been a strong man, central in my life, and someone I deeply admired. To see him in that hospital, shut down the way he was, was very disturbing.... The references to (sportscaster Vin) Scully are there because my grandfather was the guy who always had Vin Scully on the radio in his garage when I was a kid...

Once I'd read the above, the song's rage made sense to me. (As did the references to "Scully." At the time BL came out, the name "Scully" was mainly associated with The X-Files, so its use in this song really confused me!)

03-10-2008 14:24 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Oh?? Do tell. Big Grin

From the 1994 Terry interviews on this site:
quote:
I don't know much about Bakersfield. Part of the song is based on my own personal experience -- that was the death of my grandfather. Bakersfield was where we had to go and see him in the hospital. That song was written out of the experience of going to that particular city; my feelings towards the town were definitely colored by that sense of impending death. It could have really been any city.

(different interview)
My grandfather died in Bakersfield. We would have to travel off to Bakersfield to see him in the hospital in one of the bleakest towns on the face of the earth. He had always been a strong man, central in my life, and someone I deeply admired. To see him in that hospital, shut down the way he was, was very disturbing.... The references to (sportscaster Vin) Scully are there because my grandfather was the guy who always had Vin Scully on the radio in his garage when I was a kid...

Once I'd read the above, the song's rage made sense to me. (As did the references to "Scully." At the time BL came out, the name "Scully" was mainly associated with The X-Files, so its use in this song really confused me!)

Thanks, I used to think that about the X-Files Scully too, until I read about Vin Scully. I didn't know who had died there. I guess I missed the part about his grandfather. Thanks again. It is a very good song.
I will have to listen to the disc again on my way home.

03-10-2008 15:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

When I first saw BL in the store, I didn't even give it a chance I am sad to say.
I saw the title and thought it was too "youth-groupie."

Silly me.

If I would have given it half a listen I would have fallen in love with it, as I did years later when I bought it used on cassette.

03-10-2008 15:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
... anything Byrne ever told Weymouth to play.

Big Grin

Mad
03-10-2008 15:32 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:

Big Grin

Mad

That is pretty funny! Tongue

03-10-2008 15:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:

Big Grin

Mad

That is pretty funny! Tongue

Not after spending much time on the TalkBass forums where someone says it everytime her name comes up. It might be different if it were true.

After Tim, Weymouth is the player from whom I've learned the most.
03-10-2008 15:40 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH