Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Bibleland Appreciation Thread James 03-05-2008 10:28
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread Strange Animal 03-05-2008 17:26
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread jiminy 03-05-2008 12:18
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread jiminy 03-05-2008 12:19
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread James 03-05-2008 14:14
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread Audiori J 03-05-2008 14:46
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread dennis 03-05-2008 17:19
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread James 03-05-2008 15:07
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread jiminy 03-05-2008 15:09
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread jiminy 03-05-2008 15:21
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread James 03-05-2008 15:25
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread dennis 03-05-2008 17:54
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread dennis 03-05-2008 17:54
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread DwDunphy 03-05-2008 17:56
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread Strange Animal 03-05-2008 18:20
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread audiori 03-07-2008 00:37
 Looks like six people playing on this record to me! dennis 03-05-2008 18:18
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread James 03-05-2008 18:42
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread DwDunphy 03-05-2008 18:48
 RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread wes berlin 03-05-2008 23:16
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Bibleland Appreciation Thread Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I dusted Bibleland off yesterday and gave it a listen. Man, it sounded better than ever. I always thought it was a good album. But there were things that bugged me. First, I thought the production and guitar tones were a bit too abrasive. I also thought that, in their quest to be more "rockin'" (some might even say, "grunge"), they sacrificed some hooks and melody. Well, after a fresh listen, I've completely changed my opinion. All the things that previously bugged me about it were now things I loved. This album really does stand alone in the DA catalogue. They had never sounded like this before and they haven't since (although some of MBD comes close).

I'd just like to show some love for the bass playing, in particular. Tim's playing is always great, but I think he did some of his best work on this one. Listen to "Broken Ladders". That's signature Tim Chandler right there. Listen to the way he's sliding into the notes. There's some crazy stuff going on there. Also, the bassline on "Out in the Cold" is just killer. So ominous, yet groovin'. Nice job, Mr. Chandler. In a perfect world, you'd be a household name (or at least adored by all the bass geeks).

So join me, won't you, in celebrating this very special album with heaps of praise and ten dollar words. Let the Bibleland blabbering begin!
03-05-2008 10:28 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Mad RE: Bibleland Appreciation Thread Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I’m getting my money back tomorrow! I’m sick of having to make an effort to like any of your music. And it is time for you to record something encouraging and less muddled sounding Christian.......... Red Face

Tongue

nah.... it's good.......... not GREAT like Da in the 80s... but good... Cool

bobd

03-05-2008 17:26 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

call it what it is

if DA ever had an "angry young men" phase- this is it.

Look at the scenario- DA has done its time-paid its dues- and it aint happening.

With Motorcycle- I think they hoped there was some kind of a chance for this great band.

How do you express your frustration??
well - look and see. (or listen as the case may be)
raw-fast-energetic, yet lyrically sad and somewhat depressing.
Shaking their own tree (IMHO)

I will admit that knowing this makes the warts seem a part of the same hand

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-05-2008 12:18 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh and as far as the basslines-
they drive a lot of these songs like no other work.

03-05-2008 12:19 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by James

Now that's some primo Bibleland blabbering! Thank, jiminy!

Good call on the lyrics. Very downtrodden and cynical, even angry (Check out Pete and Repeat or Theo's Logic. Man, I don't know who Theo is, but he sounds like a real jerk. Maybe I'll "give him the bird" Tongue )

Interesting to think that Terry recorded Bibleland and Zoom Daddy pretty much simultaneously. Very different albums lyrically.

Let's the keep this Bibleland bash in full swing, people!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by James: 03-05-2008 14:18.

03-05-2008 14:14 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I think that album, to me, sounds a lot like how I heard DA when they played live in the 80s. Terry screams more live than he does on the albums usually, and songs usually seem a lot harder when played live.

There are other differences between MotorCycle and Bibleland, one being Motorcylce had 6 band members and could be fleshed out more. Two lead guitars and I believe Rob played on it as well, to add in a ton of orchestration. Bibleland was a four piece band and ended up more like a rock n roll live band. That could also be why it may at times seem similar to Buechners, which was also a four piece band.

03-05-2008 14:46 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I think that album, to me, sounds a lot like how I heard DA when they played live in the 80s. Terry screams more live than he does on the albums usually, and songs usually seem a lot harder when played live.

There are other differences between MotorCycle and Bibleland, one being Motorcylce had 6 band members and could be fleshed out more. Two lead guitars and I believe Rob played on it as well, to add in a ton of orchestration. Bibleland was a four piece band and ended up more like a rock n roll live band. That could also be why it may at times seem similar to Buechners, which was also a four piece band.

Didn't Jerry play on this cd too?

03-05-2008 17:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

I mentioned the "abrasive" production before. I realize now that it's perfectly mated to the lyrics and overall tone of the album.

Check out the inside cover. Loaves, fish, and a bag of popcorn. Man, this has got to be the most cynical album Terry ever did. Big Grin
03-05-2008 15:07 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

well ( again MHO)
Bibleland is in some ways the antithesis of MC
MC (whether it did or not- though I think it did) took time - as it shows in the layered-full rich sound that permeates it (Its one of my faves)

Bible land was mostly one take- recorded in a live setting (I read- is that correct?)

and as Audi said - it sounds it

03-05-2008 15:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

also from a personal standpoint

I dipped off the radar from DA during this period.
I did a bounce from OE to SOTH (which I acquired within a year or so of its release in the mid 90s)

So MC - BL and ZD were not in my ears til after the event (by a few years)
I immediately felt the change in vibes from MC- to ZD and then to Bibleland

SOTH has elements of Bibleland..its weird- it gets a bit noisy- (aloha!) but then contains some songs quite reminicent of earlier stuff..and things one might see revisited later.. (on BDream)

I know people other than the WFan rank it low on the list- wish I'd have heard BL when it came out- I may have had a diferent reaction ( OK - I was listening to PFR at the time..n don't regret it!)

03-05-2008 15:21 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

There was a great interview with Terry in True Tunes when Bibleland and Zoom Daddy came out. Terry gave a lot of insight into the making of both albums. I also remember him talking about the "blooming money at the gas pump" story from Theo's Logic. He made a joke about how he was going to pull a gold bullion out of his salad and that's how he was going to pay for lunch. Tongue
03-05-2008 15:25 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I love the BibleLand! It makes me happy, like The Who Live at Leeds happy.

Lotsa noise and lotsa heart. Just a great record! Pleased

03-05-2008 17:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Bibleland is the title of a 1994 album by rock band Daniel Amos, released on BAI Records.

Bibleland is a rough and gritty rock record with lots of noise and distortion recorded mostly live-in-the-studio.

The title song pokes fun at cheap religious merchandise in the form of a fictional Amusement Park (although based on several real parks) called "Bibleland." The album's artwork includes a "Circus" style gatefold illustration by Douglas TenNapel.

03-05-2008 17:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Was there any official statement as to why J. Chamberlain's input became so diminished immediately after Motor Cycle and what he's up to now?

I always dug his contributions to the Misery/History discs.
03-05-2008 17:56 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Was there any official statement as to why J. Chamberlain's input became so diminished immediately after Motor Cycle and what he's up to now?

i assume just because he moved to nashville......... a townsend may have more info....... Confused

bobd

03-05-2008 18:20 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Strange Animal
quote:

i assume just because he moved to nashville......... a townsend may have more info....... Confused

I think that was the main reason. It always seemed like Terry likes to change the band mix a bit every now and then as well, but I think it was more geography than anything else.

Jerry's starting to work with the fellas more now that they're recording in Nashville more. He of course contributed to Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees and Spot showed up on Midget.

In the words of Doc Love...

quote:

Jerry is a great guitar player and a swell guy. Some of you may have noticed that he's active again in our camp and I look forward to a lot more of that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-07-2008 00:37 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Looks like six people playing on this record to me! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

BibleLand

Daniel Amos Is:
Terry Taylor: Vocals, Guitars
Jerry Chamberlain: Guitars
Tim Chandler: Bass, (Rhythm Guitar on "Bibleland")
Greg Flesch: Guitars
Ed McTaggart: Drums

(Gene Eugene: Piano on "I'll Get Over It")

View Liner Notes

Engineered by Gene Eugene and Terry Taylor
Recorded at The Green Room, Huntington Beach, CA
Mixed by Gene Eugeneat Mixing Lab A and the Green Room
Mastered by Doug Doyle at Digital Brothers
Art Direction, Design, Photography, Digital Chicanery, etc. by Tom Gulotta and Court Patton, Patton Brothers Design, San Diego, CA
Scanning, Color Proofing and Film Output by Ed McTaggart at the Color Edge, Costa Mesa, CA
Band Photo by Trisha Kluck
Illustrations by Doug TenNapel

Thanks to: Gene, Joe & Marie for the good years at BAI, Tony Shore, Judth Cotton and everyone at WAL, Tom Gulotta and Court Patton with a special thanks to God, our fans, families and friends for allowing us to do another one. We love you.

All songs 1994 Twitchen Vibes/B-1 Music/Chenka-Chenka Music/Word Music, ASCAP. Used by Permission.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-05-2008 18:20.

03-05-2008 18:18 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Maybe Jerry was the inspiration for Theo's Logic! He and Terry just don't philosophically connect! Shocked

Just kidding. Happy
03-05-2008 18:42 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Although Jerry is credited on both Bibleland and SOTH, he wasn't writing anymore, you never heard his voice and many of the guitar lines sound Fleschy...
03-05-2008 18:48 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Although Jerry is credited on both Bibleland and SOTH, he wasn't writing anymore, you never heard his voice and many of the guitar lines sound Fleschy...

i know he's mostly been working with his band "the pickled beats" which, i think, is a cover band.
Smile

03-05-2008 23:16 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH