Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » re-release music question » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page re-release music question
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm a hardcopy man...

03-12-2008 20:21 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good man!Pleased

03-12-2008 20:46 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

My personal opinion is that if the albums are put out that way (digital download) by KMG the band/Terry will see less money from them than if they can arrange reissues themselves.

Even with stuff that a band owns, downloads have been pretty much pointless for some of these bands when they've been done. Some friend bands have put up their entire catalogs as downloads and sell next to nothing from them.. but yet, people will still buy the CDs.

Having said that, there is still a desire to offer some things that way.

i was told by a reliable source that pritzl does very well with his digital stuff...

Yeah, we were told by Mike Roe that when Dan Michaels put up stuff for download it just sat there. So I think it really depends on the particular audience, in DA's case I do believe their audience is not really the young downloadin' kind generally. Imaginarium might do well that way, if Dreamworks was ok with it. We have to get permission every time we print that. There are few that would want DA's stuff download, and I think it would be nice for them, but I don't think it would be a great way to bring in funds.

03-12-2008 20:54 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

i bought some stuff from the choir's download site.... would've bought more, but i already have it all....

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

03-12-2008 20:57 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
in DA's case I do believe their audience is not really the young downloadin' kind generally.

Yeah, on the rare times I have downloaded.
I burn it onto CD right away.

I am not into the whole IPOD thing. Tongue

Don't even own one. Shocked

03-12-2008 21:01 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Dennis, stranger things happen. Over the course of many months I digitized my collection. Takes up just about half a terrabyte of space now, but dang I can play anything I have anytime and not have to look in the dungeon. I don't have a ipod, but I do have a small mp3 player that'll hold a couple of albums worth of songs to get me to and from work.

I've found that I'm more agreeable to digital downloads now than I had been. I am still a sucker for good liner notes, and a cover - but I find as often as not even the CDs I get have crappy credits in them so the stuff I look for in the booklet I can't find anyway.

To Jiminy's comment, for most artists whose work is out of print, and can't be found I am not above "borrowing" a copy for myself. To me it's no different than ebay or a used record store. The artist doesn't see that money either. Same difference.

J.

03-12-2008 22:38 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I take the plunge.
Heck, I didn't even own a CD player until 1995! Shocked

03-12-2008 23:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I take the plunge.
Heck, I didn't even own a CD player until 1995! Shocked

I bought Alarma on CD before I owned cd player!

My good wife just bought me an iPod for our anniversary, 80GB! I think I'll get all my stuff on there.

My bad wife didn't buy me anything Mad

03-12-2008 23:54 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy

It's sad though that old work ends up being held hostage until, surmising what you said, the artist dies and his "saleability" goes up in memorial proportions.

so maybe Terry should declare Camarillo is deceased, maybe write up a nice eulogy,

or even more dramatic how about a nice little plane crash that squashes all the little eddies in their beddies?

Terry could be the spokesperson for the families and then when all the cameras are on him he could plug his latest release.

then in an amazing turn of events the Eddies could release a statement they are very much alive and accuse Terry of ripping off their stuff which he would of course deny...

Then he could play Let's Spin backwards, you know the part that sounds like "the eddies are dead, the eddies are dead... except for Berger" and declare them to be imposters usurping the eddies' just deserts... he could call on their faithful public and friends to stock up on all the CDs they can carry so the bad guys don't steal them

i'd buy that DVD...

Psalm 119:83
03-13-2008 00:05 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy

It's sad though that old work ends up being held hostage until, surmising what you said, the artist dies and his "saleability" goes up in memorial proportions.

so maybe Terry should declare Camarillo is deceased, maybe write up a nice eulogy,

or even more dramatic how about a nice little plane crash that squashes all the little eddies in their beddies?

From Sacred Cows liner notes:
Special Message from Camrillo Eddy and the Swirling Eddies:
As you may or may not know, the original Eddies were shipwrecked and lost at sea in 1993 (the year of the Cow). During our much bewaited absence, a group of impostors, posing as the Eddies, recorded an album named "Zippity Do Daddy", or something like that. Now the real Eddies have returned and in our first major attempt to crossover into mainstream Contemporary Christian Music we have recorded the ten best "CCM" songs that have really helped us. We cannot begin to duplicate the original, stunning recorded masterpieces but we have given it our best shot and pray that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. It is our hope that we have not offended the original artists, but have paid them, in our own small and humble way, genuine homage and have given them the encouragement they all need to go forth, rock the flock, and cause the devil's horns to lock!

03-13-2008 04:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-13-2008 05:07.

03-13-2008 04:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I always liked this picture of the Eddies. Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-13-2008 05:17.

03-13-2008 05:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I may have to listen to Sacred Cows on my way to work. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Sacred Cows, subtitled "The Songs That Helped Us," is the title of an album featuring the rock band The Swirling Eddies, performing their own less-than-serious versions of popular CCM hits, released in 1996 on StarSong.

The basic plan for the record was to get the Eddies into a studio to record their own versions of some of the day's top CCM hits. The disc starts off with The Eddies version of the DeGarmo & Key song "God Good, Devil Bad," which finds Camarillo singing as if he's just received a severe blow to the head. Towards the end of the song, Camarillo adds his own touches to the lyrics including the lines "Knife Sharp, Spoon Dull" and "Sun Hot, Snow Cold."

Next up on the chopping block is Amy Grant's early 90's hit "Baby Baby." The Eddies perform the song as if they're performing it during karaoke night at the local Ramada. Dc Talk's "I Luv crap Music" sounds as though it's performed by a cheesy lounge act. In order to hit the girlishly high vocals of Stryper's "Sing A Long Song," The Eddies actually slowed the tape down and recorded the song at that speed. Then, once the tape was sped back up to the regular speed, Camarillo ends up sounding like a long lost Sweet brother on steroids.

The reaction to the album was mixed. Some fans loved it, others absolutely hated it and returned their CDs smashed into tiny pieces. Some tracks, like the Eddies cover of DC Talk's "I Luv crap Music" found a considerable amount of radio play in various markets. Reactions from the songs original artists were generally positive. Eddie DeGarmo commented about how he knew that D&K should never have recorded "God Good, Devil Bad." Amy Grant later referenced the album jokingly in a video tribute to Terry Taylor which was played before a Lost Dogs concert in Chatsworth, California.

03-13-2008 05:18 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

RE: I may have to listen to Sacred Cows on my way to work. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Like Spinal Tap before them, the Eddies fill a much-needed void in popular music.
03-13-2008 07:57 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I love the Sacred Cows disc! Pleased

03-13-2008 16:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I would love to hear the Eddies cover "Sex Farm" or "Big Bottoms!" Tongue

03-13-2008 16:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
Dennis, stranger things happen. Over the course of many months I digitized my collection. Takes up just about half a terrabyte of space now, but dang I can play anything I have anytime and not have to look in the dungeon. I don't have a ipod, but I do have a small mp3 player that'll hold a couple of albums worth of songs to get me to and from work.

I've found that I'm more agreeable to digital downloads now than I had been. I am still a sucker for good liner notes, and a cover - but I find as often as not even the CDs I get have crappy credits in them so the stuff I look for in the booklet I can't find anyway.

To Jiminy's comment, for most artists whose work is out of print, and can't be found I am not above "borrowing" a copy for myself. To me it's no different than ebay or a used record store. The artist doesn't see that money either. Same difference.

J.

I have to admit I have totally taken the digital plunge.It is inevitable. You will be hard pressed to find someone who loves the packaging and liner notes more than me. But to be honest, I absolutely LOVE having my entire music collection at my fingertips. In a box the size of a deck of cards I have almost 11,000 songs which I can, with the assistance of a few little accessories from the local Best Buy, literally take with me anywhere and play through anything. I put that puppy o shuffle and I got the ultimate radio station with no DJs or commercials. Loathe as I am to see packaging diminish or even disappear, it merely re-surfaces in digital form on bands and labels' websites or as separate downloads. Heck, now the digital packing isn't limited to paper and ink, it's pixels, and it moves, and there's video and animation. Frankly, I'll take the convenience, the portability and the flat-out coolness of it all over hard copies that now only take up space in my garage.
I fear that not only will CDs go the way of the dinosaur, but ANY kind of hard copy is on the way out. So far, the trade off has proven worthy of my investment. I wouldn't trade my iPod for anything.
03-13-2008 16:53 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

"But to be honest, I absolutely LOVE having my entire music collection at my fingertips. In a box the size of a deck of cards I have almost 11,000 songs which I can, with the assistance of a few little accessories from the local Best Buy, literally take with me anywhere and play through anything. I put that puppy o shuffle and I got the ultimate radio station with no DJs or commercials."

I have thought of that, and that is very tempting! Cool

03-13-2008 17:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I just use both. I buy the CD and then make the MP3s. In the car, I use CDRs full of hundreds of songs on shuffle play. At home, I have those same MP3s backed up on my hard drive anyway, so its easy to just open up an mp3 player and hit shuffle while I'm working.

But I still love having the packaging.. and the original disc since its so easy to lose an mp3 or have one get corrupted or something.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-13-2008 18:03 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I like having the "hard versions", especially as a reliable backup.
03-13-2008 19:17 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » Upcoming Releases » re-release music question

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH