Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA "Anthology" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA "Anthology"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not bad, especially considering the self-imposed time limit thing.

I do like! Cool

07-29-2008 17:03 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

A little caveat Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The problem with an anthology is the same problem as with personal world famous hits (or something like that.): there are too many diverse musical styles and themes for any sort of cohesion.

What about if the anthology is grouped by criteria such as musical genre, lyrical theme, decade/era, etc.:

- Greatest of the 70's, 80's, 90's, millennium
- Country/western, Rock -n- roll, new wave, techno, Beatlesque, grunge, "just plain out there", etc.
- pre-, during, post-Alarma Chronicles, Eddies years

Just a thought...

07-29-2008 17:26 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ceremonial Kernel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
The problem with an anthology is the same problem as with personal world famous hits (or something like that.): there are too many diverse musical styles and themes for any sort of cohesion.

What about if the anthology is grouped by criteria such as musical genre, lyrical theme, decade/era, etc.:

- Greatest of the 70's, 80's, 90's, millennium
- Country/western, Rock -n- roll, new wave, techno, Beatlesque, grunge, "just plain out there", etc.
- pre-, during, post-Alarma Chronicles, Eddies years

Just a thought...

What's the matter with you, trying to put logical thought into this and making some great points! Shame on you! Big Grin

Seriously, though, how would you organize it into one (or more) of those catagories? (Which themes would you pick?)

07-29-2008 17:38 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I just broke a personal rule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That is... "Never criticize unless you have a better solution".

Our Personal World Famous Hits I bought just to keep my perfect record of owning absolutely every DA/SE/LD/TST thing out there, but I never play it. There's no point because I have everything already, it's so disconnected from itself, and the fidelity is not noticeably better.

In trying to make the perfect anthology, it makes it even harder because often times Terry records thematically ala Alan Parsons. So the sound is not the only thing radically different - genre, personnel, theme, instrumentation, etc.

In a way, MBD is an anthology, because while very cohesive it seems to span musically across much of the DA catalog.

Anyway, I will try to not do that again unless I have a better idea.

Sorry.....

07-29-2008 22:18 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ceremonial Kernel

Well, you make a great point. I also own Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits and almost never play it. However, before my DA collection got larger, I played it all the time because I didn't own most of the songs on the album.
I wrote this in the original post:
quote:
This would likely be marketed toward those who have never heard DA before.

I had the idea that, if the Arena Rock Records re-release of DF-BB sold well, there may be a lot of new DA fans who would be interested in hearing more. And that would give Arena Rock a unique opportunity to sell an "anthology" that would be marketed to those people whose first exposure to DA is the DF-BB re-issue that they just purchased.
But I do agree. A good DA anthology or "best of" is not as easy as it sounds, because their music can be so (as you put it) "radically different" from itself.

07-29-2008 22:45 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

at a glance - I would agree that MBD - in its 2 disc inclusion
is about the best overall single example of DAs music. it has rock- silly- poignant pathos-strange and all mixed into one lil package.
some lyrics are cryptic (why would I lie?) -to straightforward-ribbons and bows- downright scriptural - joel - and well- the closing rtrack- pure ala TST.

could it be they gave us their anthology- in the (probably) last release?

try my And This Is It And So The Title Goes mix- the last DA and SE we may ever see.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 07-29-2008 22:54.

07-29-2008 22:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
in the (probably) last release?

Don't say it, it's not so! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

(Fingers in my ears) "I can't hear you! La! La! La! La!...."

07-29-2008 22:57 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

I agree that anthologies don't really work for DA. They make albums. But themes, huh? Hmmmmm. Like Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio? Or Johnny Cash's Love, God and Murder? Probably wouldn't convert anyone, but would be fun us. Well, at least for me. This time I'll go with Eddies and Dogs stuff as well. And I'll give myself 10 minutes--go-

TRAVELIN': Scenic Routes, Motorcycle, The Glory Road, Driving in England, Cowboys with Engines, Shotgun Angel, If You Want To, The Midget the Speck and the Molecule, Get Back in the Bus Aloha, Hey John Wayne, Capistrano Beach, Bakersfield, Madonna Inn, Mexico, What a World What a World, Ghost Train to Nowhere

CHURCH: Attack of the pulpit Masters, Big Warm Sweet Interior Glowing, Wise Acres, Faithful Street, Live and Let Live, Autographs for the Sick, Props, Angels Tuck You In, Travelogue, Little Crosses, Too Many Angels, Bibleland, Return of the Beat Menace, Colored By, Big Time/Big Deal, Hide the Beer the Pastor's Here, Old Time Gospel Camp Meeting Hour, Evangeline, Billy Graham

FASHION: Mall All Over the World, Rodeo Drive, Real Girls, The Golden Girl of the Golden West, Endless Summer, Who's Who Here, Turn This Off!, All the Way to Heaven, Ten Gallon Hat, Home Permanent

OK. So I have WAY too much time on my hands right now, but darnit I've earned it.

Lots of others come to mind: FAMILY, NATURE, FOOD might be fun--"Bad Indigestion" comes to mind which would of course inevitably be followed by "Elimination."
07-29-2008 23:15 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Great post Brian--I mean, George!
Wow, you could go for days (if you had enough time) with the different themes. It's enough to make me dizzy (another theme, perhaps? Pleased )!

07-29-2008 23:24 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

I thought Personal World Famous Hits was a solid collection. As everyone's stated, putting together a DA anthology is a daunting task. PWFH was an admirable attempt. I throw it on when I want to hear some DA "buffet style".
07-29-2008 23:39 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Great post Brian--I mean, George!
Wow, you could go for days (if you had enough time) with the different themes. It's enough to make me dizzy (another theme, perhaps? Pleased )!

So, OK. One more:

FAMILY: Home Movies, Noelle, Rice Paper Wings, Buffalo Hills, Light Princess, Father Explains, Lord Protect My Child, Papa Danced on Olivera Street, One More Time, In the Distance, Ever After, Built Her a Cloud, Can't Take My Eyes Off of You, Loveland, Our Night to Howl Time to Go Dancing, Blowing Smoke, Angels Must Smile Like That

That's enough. Actually, this one I should make a playlist of. Hesitated to include Light Princess for a number of reasons, but it's so extraordinary. I have heard it a thousand times and it still makes me weep like a 12 year old girl. And I'm not a crier. And it earns its emotional response in a way that is void of sentimentality. If you haven't heard it, try like mad to get a hold of KNOWLEDGE AND INNOCENCE.

Hey, I'm no longer Dark Steamy Cabbage. Yay!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by George: 07-29-2008 23:56.

07-29-2008 23:54 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

It would be nice if Arena Rock Records did something to distribute MBD.
That would be a good intro at John Foxe already posted.

Along with Personal World Famous Hits, to steal away James idea.

To quote the Joker, "Ta Da!"

07-30-2008 04:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

FOODFrown eatin drinkin and smokin after)
Meal-Good Bread Good Meat Good God Lets Eat-All DAy sing and Dinner etc- Bad Indigestian - Urban Legends- (What? - why- the coke can and the Butt Roast!) - BAnquet at the worlds end- Shes a hard drink-Chicken crosses the Road- Olvera Street (Taquitos!)- Blowin Smoke - Love Grapes- hide the BEER- Close but No Cigar- Smokescreen-and of course- Musical Fruit!

am sure theres more- but I aint had breakfast. (Scenic routes mentions pigs in a blanket..so on and on)

well , and we know Terry owns a sausage machine Mad

as james mentioned - buffet!

07-30-2008 08:14 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

That's enough. Actually, this one I should make a playlist of. Hesitated to include Light Princess for a number of reasons, but it's so extraordinary. I have heard it a thousand times and it still makes me weep like a 12 year old girl. And I'm not a crier. And it earns its emotional response in a way that is void of sentimentality. If you haven't heard it, try like mad to get a hold of KNOWLEDGE AND INNOCENCE.

I cant listen to Light Princess unless Im "ready" either.
for my own reasons

07-30-2008 08:47 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
FOODFrown eatin drinkin and smokin after)
Meal-Good Bread Good Meat Good God Lets Eat-All DAy sing and Dinner etc- Bad Indigestian - Urban Legends- (What? - why- the coke can and the Butt Roast!) - BAnquet at the worlds end- Shes a hard drink-Chicken crosses the Road- Olvera Street (Taquitos!)- Blowin Smoke - Love Grapes- hide the BEER- Close but No Cigar- Smokescreen-and of course- Musical Fruit!

am sure theres more- but I aint had breakfast. (Scenic routes mentions pigs in a blanket..so on and on)

well , and we know Terry owns a sausage machine Mad

as james mentioned - buffet!

Good one! Happy
07-30-2008 08:59 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

for my own reasons

Yeah. I played this one for my wife and we cried and cried. It is her favorite TST song by a mile.
07-30-2008 09:01 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
for my own reasons

quote:
Yeah. I played this one for my wife and we cried and cried. It is her favorite TST song by a mile.

I mentioned this elsewhere...this song makes me cry every time. I played it for my wife, but perhaps she wasn't ready.

It's amazing to me that Terry could share such a personal and painful song. But it means so much to me that he did.

12-20-2008 02:06 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA "Anthology"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH