Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What was the first... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What was the first...
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 What was the first... George 07-30-2008 09:45
 RE: What was the first... Jimmy Brown 07-30-2008 11:25
 RE: What was the first... Strange Animal 07-30-2008 11:32
 RE: What was the first... achentodaze 07-30-2008 13:25
 RE: What was the first... baxter 07-30-2008 10:27
 RE: What was the first... colorblind 07-30-2008 10:59
 Hd - Ilu#19 John Foxe 07-30-2008 11:06
 RE: What was the first... Ritchie_az 07-30-2008 11:28
 RE: What was the first... wes berlin 07-30-2008 11:35
 RE: What was the first... Jerry Davison 07-30-2008 11:40
 RE: What was the first... baxter 07-30-2008 12:17
 RE: What was the first... James 07-30-2008 12:19
 RE: What was the first... Chesterdox 07-30-2008 12:34
 RE: What was the first... Dr Rich 07-30-2008 13:01
 RE: What was the first... baxter 07-30-2008 16:37
 Earliest year? John Foxe 07-30-2008 17:08
 RE: Earliest year? UnderDawg 07-30-2008 18:02
 RE: What was the first... Ritchie_az 07-30-2008 17:17
 And Debbie Boone's parent... John Foxe 07-30-2008 17:57
 RE: What was the first... Captain Pedantic 07-30-2008 18:59
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

What was the first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA/TST song you ever heard? And did it win you over? I'll go first-

Angels Tuck You In

Was #1 song on the "hipper" of the 2 Christian radio stations in Tulsa, OK for 2 weeks in 1983 (the other station was the Imperials, Carmen, Sandi Patti station). Fell in love immediately and bought the cassette in the Oral Roberts University bookstore, where Doppelganger was #1. #2 was U2's WAR (It was, after all, a COLLEGE Christian bookstore). The irony--I always thought "I Didn't Build it for Me" had perhaps Oral Roberts in mind. There is a long hallway in the campus chapel with multiple portrait paintings of Oral and his family. These were the church icons. Anyway, I was hooked.
07-30-2008 09:45 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

RE: What was the first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hollow Man

And yes, I was hooked immediately. It helped that we had just studied the Eliot poem in English class. The album was new at the time.
07-30-2008 11:25 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Cool RE: What was the first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

home permanent....
"my hair points to the sky, the place i want to be..." Pleased

bobd

07-30-2008 11:32 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
achentodaze
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 02-26-2007

RE: What was the first... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Ain't Gonna Fight It" off of the Maranatha 5 album. I was hooked right away. "Ain't Gonna Fight It" is probably the 'tamest' DA song ever so I have been challenged musically and lyrically ever since.

A side story:

Shotgun Angel came out in 1977 when I was 11. In that same year, I developed a pre-teen crush on Debby Boone, who had released "You Light Up My Life" that year. The next year, Debby Boone and her sisters released an album that included a cover of "Father's Arms" on it. Talk about pre-teen heaven. My girlfriend (in my mind) had recorded a song by my favorite rock band. At the time, I didn't care that it sounded like a cheesy version of "Fathers's Arms".

I've always wondered if Terry's reference to Debby Boone in "Bibleland" was at least in part a result of her recording "Father's Arms".
07-30-2008 13:25 achentodaze is offline Search for Posts by achentodaze Add achentodaze to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Meal

It did not win me over immediately. I wondered why my older brother brought the abomination into our house. I was young and stupid. Now I am very grateful to him for introducing me to the boys. A few months later, I heard them at Disneyland (just after hiking up to Half Dome with this girl who was raving about them), and the obsession began...
07-30-2008 10:27 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You

I thought I had been transported to heaven!

07-30-2008 10:59 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Hd - Ilu#19 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The first song off the first recording I got...

07-30-2008 11:06 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Shotgun Angel off of Preachers From Outer Space is the first DA song I ever heard. And no, it did not win me over. It wasn't until a got to Hound of Heaven, which is five tracks deep on the PFOS album, did I get won over.

07-30-2008 11:28 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

i honestly do not remember.....i do know that i saw them live many, many times back in the day (late 70's early 80's).

either way, my introduction to da was live and i was hooked right away.

07-30-2008 11:35 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

I Love You # 19. 'Nuff said!
07-30-2008 11:40 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

indeed!
07-30-2008 12:17 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Not sure, but I suspect it may have been "Mall All Over The World".
07-30-2008 12:19 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

Something off of a Bibleland cassette... I don't even remember if I bought it or somebody gave it to me. I remember thinking a couple songs were ok at best, so I threw it away. Tongue

07-30-2008 12:34 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Darn Floor - Big Bite.

When I first bought it back in 1988.

07-30-2008 13:01 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

I had that Boone album (Pat sang on One Way with the girls)
and that crush.
07-30-2008 16:37 baxter is online Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Woolly Eggwhisk

Earliest year? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Who has bragging rights for the earliest year?

ILU#19 I heard first in Fall, 1980.

07-30-2008 17:08 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

RE: Earliest year? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I first heard the band at a concert in '78 or so. I was so taken with the band that I bought two albums that were for sale at the concert. Shotgun Angel and Horrendous Disc.
07-30-2008 18:02 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Debby Boone is older than my parents.... Tongue

07-30-2008 17:17 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

And Debbie Boone's parent... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pat put out a punk record not too long ago...
Tongue

07-30-2008 17:57 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I first heard Soon! but had no idea who it was and it was only until 8 years after I found DA that I discovered it was the boys.

My first would be A Sigh For You when the cassette in the store caught my eye. That was in 1990 5 months after I got saved.

07-30-2008 18:59 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What was the first...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH