Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » daniel amos VS swirling eddies » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page daniel amos VS swirling eddies
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

daniel amos VS swirling eddies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This thread isn't about which band is better.
The question is - what are the main/biggest differences between the two bands (in terms of sound, style, and basis of songwriting) in your humble opinion?

Thanks for the feedback...

10-16-2008 11:39 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

RE: daniel amos VS swirling eddies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

chandler rocks! Cool
berger bites! Shocked

Tongue

Cool
10-16-2008 11:44 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA- think serious
SE- dont think

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
10-16-2008 12:37 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Never heard me no yodelling on no DA disc.
10-16-2008 12:47 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
DA- think serious
SE- dont think

unless its Zoom Daddy, then strap yourself in and be prepared to think.

10-16-2008 14:16 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

yin & yang & yong & yung Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA has heady stuff in a more serious light.
SE has heady stuff in a more whimsical light.
TST has heady stuff in a more personal light.
LD has heady stuff in a more twangy light.

10-16-2008 21:47 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

No Yen Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
RE: yin & yang & yong & yung

That's a good way of puttin' it. Unfortunately, there's no yen in that list.

10-17-2008 00:33 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Berger is king of the bass universe.

Chandler blows chunks

10-17-2008 02:51 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

RE: No Yen Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pfiagra
quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
RE: yin & yang & yong & yung

That's a good way of puttin' it. Unfortunately, there's no yen in that list.

is there any yawn?

10-17-2008 08:06 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I had a bad... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yin and yang you probably know are the Chinese equivalent of male and female.

So it seems to me DA is the yin, the serious, logical side of the art. SE is the female, heartfelt, whimsical side epitomized in "I had a bad experience with the CIA and now I'm going to show you my feminine side". I think Tim came up with the last part of that title, so I worry about him a little. Wink

Long way to stretch for a joke, but it makes a point...

10-17-2008 09:01 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

but is the point sharp?

(yes- that was good)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

DA- lean toward serious ( but new car?)
SE lean toward humor (but Billy?)

TST - well- it is what it is- mixbag
LD- as mentioned- add the twang.

10-17-2008 09:10 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
77'sRule! 77'sRule! is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 09-13-2008

I think the difference has more to do with marketing. DA's 1987 album didn't sell well, right? So who comes along in 1988? No other than the Swirling Eddies. And since they kept their identity hidden, they were able to record more controversial songs (another difference). Musically, though, they are more similar than different.
10-17-2008 12:40 77'sRule! is offline Search for Posts by 77'sRule! Add 77'sRule! to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

The entire difference comes down to one thing...

Windex.

10-17-2008 13:07 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

DFFB-1987
Lets SPIN 1988

yer right-
but I dunno.....

thats quite a spark to ignite a different fuse -DFFB sounds nothing like the Eddies outings (MHO)

10-17-2008 13:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

What's DFFB? Darn Floor - Floor Bite?? Confused

No two Daniel Amos albums sound alike, so I think it would be unrealistic to think a certain Eddie's album would sound like a certain DA album. But I do think DA and the Eddies are not far off from each other, both musically and lyrically. I'd never really thought of the Eddies as a mere marketing ploy, but, to a degree, it makes sense. But I also think the Eddies serve as an additional creative outlet for Terry that is unique from Daniel Amos (just look at how much detail was given to the made-up charactures that make up the band).
While the Eddies have been a dynamic band, the cornerstone has been DA members, so it should not be a surprise that they are of the same vain. Terry, however, has been able to reserve a uniqueness for the Eddies that is not found in DA. It's not in every song, but in just enough of them to distinguish the two bands from each other. For the most part, one can listen to a DA song and know it's DA, and listen to a SE song and know it's the Eddies. But not always. Sometimes the line between the two of them is very fuzzy.
So I think the difference between Daniel Amos and the Swirling Eddies (aside from some different members) is whatever Terry decides should make them different. He chooses a certain creativity that is somewhat unique to each band and to each album of each band.
And you jumble them together with some of Terry's solo stuff and you get Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor. It's as clear as mud! Big Grin

10-18-2008 05:20 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

The story as I remember it Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It seems to me, as I understand it, that after the commercial failure of DFBB the band regrouped and was attempting to produce music under another name. They recorded a few songs under the name Crime Horse (one of which ended up on Berry Vest, two on No Sense Of History.)

However, the label wanted them to record songs that were less serious, so those songs were mothballed and they recorded Lets Spin as the Swirling Eddies. LS was moderately successful, and a year later they released Outdoor Elvis.

At some point, the Eddies seem to have evolved into a project which is more loose in who performs, and the lyrics and music have a quirkier, funnier, more good-natured edge.

DA essentially remains the same core it was 20 years ago in terms of personnel. The mood is often sharper, more cynical, more challenging.

I've learned to expect with both sides of the psyche to expect the unexpected. Each recording is different, unique, and takes time for you to dig your roots in. That's one reason I think why DA/SE/TST fans tend to be intelligent, thoughtful fanatics to the point of being a little scary.

10-18-2008 15:31 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

To me..

DA - somewhat darker musically and lyrically - albums like Fearful Symmetry and Doppelganger almost have an eerie quality at times (which I've always liked). There is always humor and an unpredictable aspect, but it tends to be more mature overall. It seems like there tends to be a more obvious literary leaning to the lyrics.. lots of inspiration from Chesterton, Buechner, TS Eliot, Flannery O'Connor, Blake, etc. Add to all of that, DA's long history which I think plays some role in what happens in DA's future.

Eddies - Anything goes. More light-hearted musically and lyrically. A more loose band makeup with occasional guests. Yodel parties, burgers (and Bergers), Stop surfing!, and "Don't Hate Yourself"-style ramblings would never be featured so prominently on a DA record (I would guess). Potentially more in-your-face or offensive humor ("Hide the Beer, the Pastor's Here"). Everythings a little over-the-top and jokes can be taken farther than most bands would feel comfortable with.

I've always felt like its the perfect two (three, with the Lost Dogs - four, with solo projects) venues for a creative songwriter. No matter what creative mood the band is in, they can jump from one setting to another. It has to be a lot of fun to be able to do that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-18-2008 15:46 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » daniel amos VS swirling eddies

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH