Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hide the Beer......in church? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hide the Beer......in church?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Hide the Beer......in church? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Okay, a few weeks ago, we hosted Terry, Steve and Andrew here in the backyard. We had almost 40 people including our pastor and her husband (yeah, female clergy. We love her). We had fajitas and beer and a great time. She LOVED "Hide the Beer, the Pastors Here". She worked a sermon around the song and we did it this morning.

We even did a video that showed a preacher coming to someone's door. They hide their beer so that he won't see it. He invites them to church and they offer him some water. When the homeowner goes to the fridge, it's full of beer, except for a bottled water labeled "Emergencies Only". The preacher thanks them, goes home, changes into regular clothes, sits in front of the game on the TV and pops open a beer.

I rewrote the verses to go with this premise and kept the chorus. Here's how it went...

Pushing a cart in the super mart
A corkscrew and cups is a real good start
A secret party tonight...in the back yard
Grab some beer, grab some wine
Cuban cigars would be real fine
There's a six-pack to hide...on the shopping cart side
Let's make some margaritas!

Hide the beer, the pastor's here
Hide the beer, think of your career
She might find out that we're human beins'
And bring us all down to the rack and the ruin

Standing in line before movietime
Heroes and gangsters and big-city crime
Hope no one sees me...in the back row
I rented a disc for my TV
It came in the mail so no one would see
What I'm watching tonight...I'd be in for a fight
If they knew what I was doin'!

When the coast is clear, we can watch it, dear
Together we'll have hell to pay
So hide the beer, the pastor's here
Put the "R" rated movie away

Yeah, hide the beer, the pastor's here

Hiding in our shells, in our private hells
No one knows what's ringing our bells
But God knows all....all our secrets
Lust and hate we try to hide
But these sins won't stay inside
Here's a secret for you....the pastor sins too
None of us are worthy!

Yeah, hide the beer, the pastor's here

So, whaddaya think? I was concerned how it would play in church, but everyone seemed to "get it". I'd really like some feedback to see what you think, in case we play it again sometime soon.

I always wanted to do some of Terry's music at church, but I never would have guessed it would have been this!
08-23-2009 13:00 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Pretty creative.

Reminds me of a friend who showed up at a children's ministry meeting with a six-pack of bud light. He had emptied the contents through a small hole in the bottom of each can.
You would not believe the controversy that started. We knew him real well and had a good laugh, but not long later him and his wife found a different church. Frown

08-24-2009 00:08 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by UnderDawg
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This was (and is) my concern. Will people begin to talk and get angry, cause a backlash? I hope not, but you can never tell in a church environment how things will go over.

The pastor had nametags handed out during the service that said "Hello My Name Is" and in the blank space was written "As Is". The point being that God takes us as we are, flaws and all. Perhaps we don't invite friends to church because we don't want them to think that they'll feel like they can't be themselves around us when they think we are christians. While we are to be in the world, not of it, we are still sinners and we shouldn't be afraid to be "human bein's" in front of others. A witness that God loves us even in our sinfulness. Hopefully, it made everyone think.
08-24-2009 05:44 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I used to worry about reactions to things like this, but not any more. If the concept you're talking about is Biblical, and you're not doing something unbiblical to teach about it, then there's no problem. People will get offended, often over something that has nothing to do anything Biblical. When they do, they need to be rebuked.

BTW, I wondered what kind of response Terry would get at our church with this song. I knew most people wouldn't have any issue, but I was curious what people might say. Terry had a long introduction to the song, though, and it was made very clear what the song was about. Usually, when you clearly explain what's going on, there's no issue (usually). The problem comes when things are sometimes left to interpretation.

08-24-2009 09:23 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
anochria anochria is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-529.gif

Registration Date: 05-11-2004

I can say with confidence that Terry would get a warm reception in our church community with Hide the Beer....

They're always hiding their beers from me Wink
08-24-2009 11:22 anochria is offline Send an Email to anochria Homepage of anochria Search for Posts by anochria Add anochria to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Many people at my church remarked that we'd have to hide the beer when the pastor comes because he'd drink it! Shocked

08-24-2009 17:01 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

in jr high, i once took an empty beer can and cleaned it up and pretended to drink out of it while walking home from school just to see if i would get in any trouble. nothing happened, though Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
08-26-2009 14:15 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: Hide the Beer......in church? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i've had a beer with my pastor... Shocked

Pleased

of course he does not condone drunkenness.... Red Face

Cool
08-26-2009 16:15 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

i think they should let the adults have an easter beer hunt while the kids go around collecting eggs Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
08-27-2009 12:42 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

08-27-2009 21:37 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
anochria anochria is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-529.gif

Registration Date: 05-11-2004

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
Many people at my church remarked that we'd have to hide the beer when the pastor comes because he'd drink it! Shocked

That's exactly what I meant Big Grin
08-28-2009 17:24 anochria is offline Send an Email to anochria Homepage of anochria Search for Posts by anochria Add anochria to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hide the Beer......in church?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH