Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What is your least favorite album from DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What is your least favorite album from DA? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 6.502 Votes - Average Rating: 6.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I understand some of why Terry likes DFBB so much. With comments he's made from time to time and after reading his interview in God's Not Dead (and Neither Are We), I'm even glad about it. Even if the albums that came before are among my favorites, it was probably a relief to put that chapter behind him.
11-18-2009 08:59 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I can't place Mr. Buechner's Dream because I heard it only once, but I didn't consider it worth keeping. I might like it better if I heard it again.

The best I've been able to describe MBD (musically speaking, not lyrically) is if one were to combine BibleLand, SotH and The Choir's Flap Your Wings, you'd get 85% of what MBD is. There seems (to me, anyway) to be a hint of Darn Floor - Big Bite, iAlarma! and Shotgun Angel, as well as some non-DA-related influences (Pretty Little Lies and Child on a Leash come to mind). And, of course, some originality. But mostly, in my best estimation, it's a combo of BibleLand, SotH and Flap Your Wings.

With 33 songs on two-discs, there's a lot of music, and, with that, some highs and lows (well, I'll say "mediums", because there are no "lows" with DA) . Thankfully, there are many more highs than mediums. I often have wondered if the album would have worked better as a single disc, cutting out a few of the lesser songs. I think it might be a stronger album that way. But I've yet to figure out which songs I'd cut, what order I'd put the remaining songs in, and what I'd do with the cut songs.

One may think I don't think highly of MBD. Actually, the album is my 5th favorite DA album. There are many great songs found behind Ed's quality album cover. ftg3plus4, you may want to give this one another chance. I think it will grow on you in a similar way as BibleLand.

11-18-2009 09:52 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

It may be my favorite DA album.

11-18-2009 18:23 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

I agree with Doc & Joey. Revelation is saved by Soon. DA has to be my least favorite DA album. Still fun once in a while, but doesn't get the play that the others get.

11-18-2009 21:10 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

MBD is very good.
It may be my favorite as well.
I listen to it the most, that's for sure.

11-18-2009 21:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

For me, one of the things I liked most about DA over the years was the versatility. MBD has a little of everything, something to keep my attention and take me to different places but at the same time it has a cohesiveness as well. The lyrics are some of Terry's best. The music is full of feeling and interesting twists and turns. It would be in my top ten albums of all time.

11-18-2009 21:28 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
I agree with Doc & Joey. Revelation is saved by Soon. DA has to be my least favorite DA album. Still fun once in a while, but doesn't get the play that the others get.

oh my, you'll fry as we wave goodbye! Tongue

Confused Crying

soon rocks...but that is on mft as well..........

Cool
11-18-2009 22:21 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by PuP

Confused Crying

I don't even count Revelation as an Album.
More like some weird little "teaching tool."
Also I like the music on SA.
I wish The Eagles could have been as good as DA on SA.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 11-19-2009 05:23.

11-19-2009 05:22 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
For me, one of the things I liked most about DA over the years was the versatility. MBD has a little of everything, something to keep my attention and take me to different places but at the same time it has a cohesiveness as well. The lyrics are some of Terry's best. The music is full of feeling and interesting twists and turns. It would be in my top ten albums of all time.

One of DFBB weak points has been the shortness of the album.
Oddly enough it's also one of it's strong points.

MBD takes me a few trips to and from work to hear the whole album.
It takes up most of the 120 minute tape I listen to in my truck.

11-19-2009 05:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PuP

Confused Crying

I don't even count Revelation as an Album.
More like some weird little "teaching tool."
Also I like the music on SA.
I wish The Eagles could have been as good as DA on SA.

yes, but keep in mind the eagles sold lots and lots of records.... Happy

Tongue

Cool
11-19-2009 09:02 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
quote:

that's why i make a one-disk version of mbd w/ a few songs and the 17 minutes of silence cut out....
i know, some will call that heresy, but that's how i roll! Tongue

Cool

Cool
11-19-2009 09:04 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Administrator

It is like DA's "White Album. "

11-19-2009 15:28 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
It is like DA's "White Album. "

Exactly.

11-19-2009 19:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4
Bibleland (but, BOY, did that one take me some getting used to!).

I loved BibleLand right away!

11-19-2009 19:34 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

that's why i make a one-disk version of mbd w/ a few songs and the 17 minutes of silence cut out....
i know, some will call that heresy, but that's how i roll! Tongue

Cool

Oh yeah I left the 17 minutes silence off!
But I have all the song plus nowhere is someplace.

I made a 120 version of the "Hats" bookset plus some Frank Sinatra. I had to have "Moonlight in Vermont" on there! I also have the Eddies "I Luv crap Music."

11-20-2009 04:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

It's funny how this thread turned from "Least Favorite" on page one to "Most Favorite" on page two.

My mostest, bestest favorite DA albums are:
1) Darn Floor - Big Bite
2) Doppelganger
3) iAlarma!
4) Songs of the Heart
5) Mr. Buechner's Dream
6) MotorCycle
7) Vox Humana
8 ) Fearful Symmetry
9) Horrendous Disc
10) BibleLand
11) Kalhoun
12) Shotgun Angel

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 11-20-2009 08:22.

11-20-2009 08:18 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
It's funny how this thread turned from "Least Favorite" on page one to "Most Favorite" on page two.

you know it's a good thread on this board when that happens... Happy

Big Grin

Cool
11-20-2009 09:07 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ceremonial Kernel

What'll the topic be on page 3? Confused

How about :

What's the most middle-of-the-road DA side-project never released on CD?

Or, who's the most obscure name found in the credits of a DA album?

11-20-2009 09:18 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
ftg3plus4, you may want to give [MDB] another chance. I think it will grow on you in a similar way as BibleLand.

Hmmm... a couple questions:

(1) Is it still possible to get "Nowhere Is Someplace" anywhere? That was the Internet-only track, right? Which, given that there was room for 17 minutes of silence, makes me wonder.... WHY?

(2) Can someone provide "And So It Goes" and the hidden track (what is that called, anyway?) as separate tracks, without the aforementioned silence? I don't have the means myself to get them that way.
11-20-2009 14:20 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I have not heard Nowhere is Someplace (kind sounds like it should be an Eddies tune). I'd be just as interested in the story behind it (why was it recorded and why wasn't included on the album?) as I would be in hearing the song.

I'd like to edit out the silence and the bonus--ahem--song from the And So it Goes track, but I don't have the software. Frown If I could do that, I'd take a stab at shortening the album to one disc.

Edit: I was just playing around with it, and I don't think it's possible to shorten the album to 80 minutes without losing some good songs. It'll take an MP3 disc and over 90 minutes of tunes (that is, if I could edit the And So it Goes track) to do what I want. Too bad I don't have a CD player that plays MP3s....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 11-20-2009 16:47.

11-20-2009 16:09 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What is your least favorite album from DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH