Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What is your least favorite album from DA? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What is your least favorite album from DA? 2 Votes - Average Rating: 6.502 Votes - Average Rating: 6.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Nowhere Is Someplace" is available as an extra on the "Making Of" DVD - you just have to know how to extract the audio...
11-20-2009 18:04 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I'd like to edit out the silence and the bonus--ahem--song from the And So it Goes track, but I don't have the software. Frown If I could do that, I'd take a stab at shortening the album to one disc.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

11-20-2009 21:27 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
"Nowhere Is Someplace" is available as an extra on the "Making Of" DVD - you just have to know how to extract the audio...

I know we planned on making it an mp3 on the DVD, but our software didn't have the options we wanted.

Why it ended up on mp3.com, I think it was someones bright idea to do that. I would of rather had it on the album.

11-20-2009 22:10 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

There really isn't a DA album I don't like, but there are degrees by which I like some more. Statistically, I listen to everything up to Doppelganger less than I do everything after it.
11-21-2009 06:54 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

OK, I think I got it.

One "problem" I've always had with MBD is that there seems to be two different themes going on: the Frederick Buechner inspired songs and the Bible character inspired songs. Disc 1 is supposed to be Frederick Buechner's (strange) dream. The second disc is...more dreams after he wakes up? In my (strange) mind, I've had a hard time accepting the album for what it is. So what I've done is seperate the two themes to create two different albums.

My "new" MBD:
1- This is the One
2- Mr Buechner's Dream
3- The Author of the Story
4- Your Long Year
5- Who's Who Here
6- Thick Skin
7- Ribbons and Bows
8- Small Great Things
9- Ordinary Extraordinary Day
10- I Get To Wondering
11- Nowhere is Someplace
12- The Lucky Ones
13- Rice Paper Wings
14- The Tale You Told
15- Meanwhile
16- Maybe All I Need
17- Easy For You
18- She's a Hard Drink
19- So Far So Good
20- Flash In Your Eyes
21- Nobody Will
22- The Staggering Gods
23- Mr. Buecher Wakes Up
24- And So It Goes (without the silence and bonus track)

"BibleLand 2" (for lack of a better name):
1- Faithful Street
2- Fingertips
3- A Little Grace
4- Over Her Shoulder
5- Pregnant Pause
6- Pretty Little Lies
7- Child on a Leash
8- Joel
9- Steal Away
10- My Beautiful Martyr
11- (MBD Bonus Song)

Problems: Mr. Buechner Wakes Up fades into Joel but I split them up; cutting the silence and bonus track from And So It Goes; Child on a Leash doesn't completely fit the theme of the "BibleLand 2" disc.

I can picture Terry strolling down "Faithful Street" in the "Beulah-Land" corner of BibleLand and seeing people dressed as different Bible characters. And being inspired to write songs about those characters. That's why I call the second disc "BibleLand 2". I know, kind of lame, but that's how my mind works.

A special thanks to Joey and PuP.

11-21-2009 13:44 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Here's a not well thought out response.
Buechner's dream includes all these characters. Buechner often writes about these characters and Terry seems to be interpreting his writings in song. In fact, Buechner has a whole book of mini biographies , the title eludes me as I sit here, that could have been the basis for these songs.

11-22-2009 07:02 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! who's who here? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have that book.
It's called "Peculiar Treasure: A Biblical Who's Who."

11-22-2009 07:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Makes sense.
I thought I remember Terry saying that the Bible character idea came first (he had already been working on it) and the Frederick Buechner idea came second, and he kind of merged the two. However, it does seem like Ron's explanation could fit. But Mr. Buechner should wake up at the end of disc 2 and not the end of disc 1....
I guess I have some thoughts to consider....

11-22-2009 09:27 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I think the album is perfect, except for the lack of "Nowhere is Someplace,"

11-22-2009 10:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

it's a good song, but doesn't fit with the rest of the album....
that is my best guess why it didn't make the final cut...

Cool
11-22-2009 16:33 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

it's a good song, but doesn't fit with the rest of the album....
that is my best guess why it didn't make the final cut...

Oh pish-posh. MBD is a pots and pans everything but the kitchen sink album.
It's on my version and it fits just fine.

11-22-2009 18:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What is your least favorite album from DA?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH