Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » help with Terry Taylor's solo cds » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page help with Terry Taylor's solo cds 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Shempp Shempp is a male
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-633.jpg

Registration Date: 12-18-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

K&I, Briefing & Little Big.

Little Big is by far my fav. Terry is totally transparent. Just a bummer that it is so short.

12-23-2009 09:23 Shempp is offline Homepage of Shempp Search for Posts by Shempp Add Shempp to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, Wes, I'd say that "Zoom Daddy" is my least favorite of the Swirlers. But that's like saying that "Songs of the Heart" is my least favorite DA album. It's still heads and shoulders above most everything else.

Wonder why that album is down on my list? Maybe it's because of songs like "Nightmare at the Elk's Lodge" which is probably the ONLY Taylor song I will actually skip.
12-23-2009 21:23 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

i understand.....that's why it's good that there is something for everyone. Smile

btw, i love "songs of the heart" as well. for terry's solo stuff it's "knowledge and innocence", "john wayne" and "briefing for the ascent" with "avocado fault line" bringing up the rear. Smile

12-23-2009 22:37 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey Jooooooooooooooooooooohn Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayne!!!

12-23-2009 23:16 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Wes, do you like "Nightmare at the Elks Lodge"? Or is it just me?
12-24-2009 16:49 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool almost time to break this out... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool
12-24-2009 17:42 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

quote:
Originally posted by UnderDawg
Wes, do you like "Nightmare at the Elks Lodge"? Or is it just me?

i like the idea more than the song. Smile i think that i could have done without "(disco) love grapes" and "nightmare at the elks lodge" .........but you know....everyone has their opinion. the rest of the album is so strong and builds and builds spiritually till you reach the end. i think it's quite brilliant actually. Smile

12-24-2009 18:02 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i think he is referring to your sig pic, wes... Tongue

Cool
12-24-2009 18:14 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

who's a sly gay lover?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Love Disco Love Grapes.
Elks Lodge not so much.

12-25-2009 16:45 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

I'm a fan of Nightmare at the Elks Lodge. Big Grin
12-25-2009 22:11 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
I'm a fan of Nightmare at the Elks Lodge. Big Grin

me too... Tongue

Cool
12-25-2009 22:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

I think K&I is an awesome album. Oddly, the track that gets me the most is not one of the obvious ones but rather "Ever After" (at the quiet coda part).

ABFTA seemed like a step down -- not nearly as colorful or varied, with more good moments in the songs than actual good songs. The CD version omits things that were on the LP, which I mostly don't like (although the loss of the little spoken "instructional cassette" links is a big improvement).

JW, unlike the others, sounds mostly like a lost DA album.

I haven't checked any of the other things out.

12-31-2009 11:12 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Thread Starter Thread Started by pegotico

finally got to hear John Wayne

wow!!! great!!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
01-02-2010 14:58 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico

wow!!! great!!!

and that's my least favorite one! Evil

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 01-02-2010 17:42.

01-02-2010 17:12 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

BftA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Briefing for the Ascent has grown on me quite a bit with repeated listening. This is the first DA-related recording where we hear a great deal of Greg's excellent musical influence. The variety of music is more varied than K&I, and I'm also glad he didn't put in some of the home-grown touches.

More significantly, if you put BftA in the context of Terry singing these songs to his dying Grandmother, maybe you will feel (as I do) a depth of emotion that is unique to this recording.

I do wish that if it is mastered again and reissued that the prelude and transitions are included again. It provides some continuity to the recording I think is important.

01-02-2010 21:33 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:

wow!!! great!!!

That's funny... John Wayne was the album that got me into Terry's music again after being out of the loop for a time.

01-03-2010 04:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:

wow!!! great!!!

That's funny... John Wayne was the album that got me into Terry's music again after being out of the loop for a time.

the first song really rocks! then the rest feels like stuff that didn't make the cut for Bibleland..... Baby
but as a wise man once said....that's what's so cool.........there's something for everyone. Cool Cool Cool

Cool
01-03-2010 10:35 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Hey John Wayne is a pretty clever song, IMHO.

01-03-2010 12:06 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

been listening to John Wayne lately, seems to help if you have some context experience with Orange County and their airport, but certainly not necessary.

also have Avocado and like the change up style and sentiment in Papa Danced on Olvera Street... papa songs are gutsy (ask freud) revealing a deep slice of one's self-perceptions and triumphs over being conceived & raised by fallen folks... it you come out of that with a "dad is still dad" fondness, praises be.

meanwhile i'm interested in some of the other CDs lauded here but i find no one in the alley wearing a trench coat and hawking TST out of print CDs in hushed tones to passers by... wait a minute, no alley! that's problem... let me check with the buyers & sellers down at the neighborhood park, maybe they can hook me up.

so where did you get yours?

Psalm 119:83
01-03-2010 14:32 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
been listening to John Wayne lately, seems to help if you have some context experience with Orange County and their airport, but certainly not necessary.

also have Avocado and like the change up style and sentiment in Papa Danced on Olvera Street... papa songs are gutsy (ask freud) revealing a deep slice of one's self-perceptions and triumphs over being conceived & raised by fallen folks... it you come out of that with a "dad is still dad" fondness, praises be.

meanwhile i'm interested in some of the other CDs lauded here but i find no one in the alley wearing a trench coat and hawking TST out of print CDs in hushed tones to passers by... wait a minute, no alley! that's problem... let me check with the buyers & sellers down at the neighborhood park, maybe they can hook me up.

so where did you get yours?

Ebay is probably the only game left in town, and they'll make you pay through the nose. I guess I was fortunate enough to have been fanatical early. Back then, the CBS's were practically giving these away because they weren't Petra.
01-04-2010 07:22 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » help with Terry Taylor's solo cds

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH