Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » For U2/DA Fans.. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page For U2/DA Fans.. 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I'm no U2 expert, but didn't those guys go to church together as kids? It doesn't surprise me too much that they knew about DA.

They actually met in high school around age 15-16 (around 1976) - when Larry M. posted a notice on his school bulletin board that he wanted to start a band, the other three were among the respondents. It was maybe a year or so afterward that all but Adam Clayton became interested in Christianity and began attending a home fellowship together.

Bono was apparently a fan of Andy McCarroll's band Moral Support, so DA's not that big a reach - Greenbelt would certainly have been a possible point of exposure.
03-02-2010 00:48 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I could see the U2 fellas being into HD and iAlarma!

03-02-2010 07:40 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

This from Terry (via Jerry)... this would have been a year or two before the photo was taken.

quote:

Terry tells me that he spoke with a guy who worked at a Christian bookstore somewhere in the Eastern U.S. during U2's first American tour. He said that Bono came in and bought a copy of Alarma...

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-02-2010 19:57 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Wow.
Holy Cow! Right????

Bono hunting down the cool records in the states!

03-02-2010 20:13 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Wow.
Holy Cow! Right????

Bono hunting down the cool records in the states!

who knows Big Grin maybe he was desperate to get it, no one can blame him for that Tongue , even the pros need to listen to very good music!!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-02-2010 20:36 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Yeah.... I guess so, right?

03-02-2010 21:37 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but has anyone ever written U2 to ask them if they were DA fans back in the day?

I know that it may be a hopeless action, but there is a remote possibility one of the U2 guys might actually see the letter and respond.

03-02-2010 23:39 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by audiori

Not yet.. just confirmed that this photo existed Sunday evening.

maybe we should offer to send them copies of Mr Buechner's Dream & the Midget.... Happy

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-03-2010 00:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

I wrote U2 a couple of long and freaky fan boy letters in the 80s.
Someone who worked for them sent a postcard back each time.
The first one said they were on tour and could not reply.
The 2nd one said they got way too much mail to answer it.
Good times!

03-03-2010 03:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I think it's interesting that not only did they have the button, but chose to wear it at a photo shoot.
Well, it's been "confirmed" that Bono purchased a copy of iAlarma!. We also know that the button would have been difficult to get outside of attending a Daniel Amos concert. We don't know which came first: the button or the album?
It's very interesting, though.

03-03-2010 09:37 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Good times!

wacky fan letter? Tongue

Cool
03-03-2010 11:00 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Not yet.. just confirmed that this photo existed Sunday evening.

maybe we should offer to send them copies of Mr Buechner's Dream & the Midget.... Happy

i can feel the bombs near me at this point lol

but thats a good idea, Mr Buechner's Dream has to be if not the best (IMHO the best), and maybe for others one of the best from DA.

ok ppl now you can attack me!!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 03-03-2010 13:06.

03-03-2010 13:05 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

i just want to hear bono say that dfbb inspired achtung baby...
just once! Big Grin

Cool
03-03-2010 13:10 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
i just want to hear bono say that dfbb inspired achtung baby...
just once! Big Grin

Cool

03-03-2010 15:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Doing a little research....
According to this, Larry Norman was a musical influence to a young Bono. So it is certainly not far fetched that he knew who DA was and perhaps even owned some DA music.

Also, according to this, Crystal Lewis, who performed on Fearful Symmetry and A Briefing for the Ascent, once (in 1999) performed on stage with Bono. While this is surely not related to the DA button, it is another connection.

03-03-2010 17:47 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Good times!

wacky fan letter? Tongue

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

03-03-2010 18:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:
Good times!

wacky fan letter? Tongue

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

will you be in minneapolis any time soon??? Tongue

Cool
03-03-2010 21:24 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

U2's old manager Dan Russell, was Mark Heard's old manager... we worked with Dan Russell on a CD or two.

03-03-2010 23:19 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Wow, it is a small world after all.

03-04-2010 06:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Just dug out my copy of U2 by U2 and there it is on page 128 and 129 of the hardcover edition.

03-05-2010 04:27 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » For U2/DA Fans..

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH