Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know the Alarma masters were recorded under a false name, and are labeled with a false name, which was to protect them from being swiped by a certain someone who remains nameless. So that is another album that has an interesting story.

03-18-2010 07:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Now that is something I have never heard before. Interesting.

Feel free to expand on that. Big Grin
03-18-2010 08:08 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I think they were recorded under the name 'Flying Bermuda Bros." Its been a while since I looked at the box and studio cards, but I think that's what it was.

03-18-2010 08:23 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

"somewhat closer to the original topic - is there any album in Christendom that has such a story to tell about its birth comparable to Horrendous Disc?"

The whole Proto~Kaw story is interesting and unusual. But it's not an apples-to-apples comparison of HD....

03-18-2010 09:30 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I know the Alarma masters were recorded under a false name, and are labeled with a false name, which was to protect them from being swiped by a certain someone who remains nameless. So that is another album that has an interesting story.

What a mess that whole thing was.
It seemed like that nameless person was trying to ruin the band, so yeah... what a nightmare!

03-18-2010 13:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

the pajama! chronicles - new HBO series

Psalm 119:83
03-18-2010 14:09 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I don't know who the "nameless" is, but shame on him (or her)! Mad

03-18-2010 15:14 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

It's a pretty obvious guess.
(If I'm right.)

03-18-2010 15:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Who I was guessing had nothing to do with Alarma (and is no longer with us). Not sure if it is remotely close to a good guess.

03-18-2010 16:50 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Who I was guessing had nothing to do with Alarma (and is no longer with us). Not sure if it is remotely close to a good guess.

Just think about the drama that was going on at the same time iAlarma! was being made.
He made things very rough for the band, people were agraid of being sued.

03-18-2010 16:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
the pajama! chronicles - new HBO series

Frown

Cool
03-18-2010 17:50 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

If it is who I think it is... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If it is who I think it is, then shouldn't the name now be somewhat more irrelevant, unless you're concerned about things like future reissues... Confused

03-18-2010 20:53 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Administrator

It is irrelevant, other than being nice.

The way I understood it, tapes were taken from the studio. Ed ran in and grabbed the rest. Then when Alarma was being recorded, they recorded under the assumed name to keep those tapes from being taken as well.

03-18-2010 23:06 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

DA needs to have a big coffee table book of pictures and stories.
Cool

03-19-2010 04:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool Smile

03-19-2010 08:41 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Cool

i could just see cosmo kramer promoting it now...

Pleased

Cool
03-19-2010 11:43 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Cool

interesting!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-19-2010 11:48 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:

would be nice to know a little more

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-19-2010 11:52 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Cool

i could just see cosmo kramer promoting it now...

Pleased

Cool

03-19-2010 11:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
quote:

would be nice to know a little more

Well I hate to be too specific, everything I know is second hand information. But I remember asking about the assumed name on the Alarma Multitracks and was told in a rather vague way that they did that to protect the tapes. It seems during the whole Horrendous Disc fiasco, tapes were gathered up by someone who was associated with that album. The way I understand it, the label thought that everything the band recorded at that time was owned by the label since they were under contract. But, the nature of the contract was a little goofy and I believe it was the position of the lawyer the band had at the time that the contract was basically void according to California Law. It was a disagreement after all, people held different opinions. Part of the issue I believe is that a lot of stuff was actually recorded before the Solid Rock contract. Horrendous Disc for example was recorded originally for Maranatha in 1978. I do also know that the copyright for a lot of the 'other material' that was recorded at the time including "Hello Aloha," "Twilight Love," and "Noelle" released on the 2010 CDR Solid Rock version is under Terry Taylor's name in the U.S. Copyright Office, not Solid Rock.

This was part of our negotiating tool when we were trying to release an ultimate Horrendous Disc, Larry had a lot of the tapes, not all of them, but a lot, but technically Terry owned the copyright on all the extra material. Its a sticky situation, but we were trying to make a compromise. But again, Solid Rock held the position that they own material that they don't hold the copyright on. Technically that stuff shouldn't be released at all without Terry's approval. And ... royalties.

03-19-2010 13:02 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH