Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
I am talking about album sales.
Worldwide they have sold 200 million records.
That makes as popular as the other bands you mentioned.

Just so were clear, I'm not taklking about what critics think or what your buddies think I am talking sales figures. Any band that can sell 200 Million records is very, very, huge, mega, superstar popular.

Plus you need to remember that Pink Floyd was not a "singles" band, they were an "Album" band.

Just to make things clear I dont write what my buddies think or tell me. As a matter of fact my buddies dont even know who Daniel AMos is?
Lets take for example the US
OF the 200 million records Pink Floyd sold, 74.5 m. certify units were sold in the US.
The population in the US is about 308,866,587, almost 309 m
But here we have to assume that the pink floyd freak bought out of the 14 albums at least 9
74.5 divided by 9 = 8.2 m ppl, we can round that to 10 m if you like

308 m = 100%
10 m = ? %

wow that's just 3.24% of the population buying albums from pink floyd. BUt lets for the sake of the children imagine that there is a 30% of the population buying PF albums (UNTRUE), then there is still an 70%. Im not gonna count the illegal downloads here.

NOw Elvis has sold over 1 Billion albums and 60% of that has been in the US, that is popular in my dictionary

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-14-2010 13:49 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Elvis is very popular yes.
But any band that sold 200 million copies is popular.
74.5 million in the US is still a lot of records.
There are very few bands that sold that many.
But I think you are just being an a*s*s*hole at this point.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-14-2010 14:02.

03-14-2010 14:00 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Go ahead and google what album has been the Billboard charts the longest time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-14-2010 14:20.

03-14-2010 14:04 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
I'm not taklking about what critics think or what your buddies think

Elvis is very popular yes.
But any band that sold 200 million copies is popular.
74.5 million in the US is still a lot of records.
There are very few bands that sold that many.
But I think you are just being an a*s*s*hole at this point.

first you tell me that im stupid as i need to ask my buddies
second you tell me Im an a*s*s*hole (oops I thought words like this were not permitted in this christian forum)

I didnt say they were not popular, their music is not a normal music, as i understand not everybody lkes psychedelic music. Anyways what i meant and which i prove with numbers is that in the US the majority of the ppl dont listen to pink floyd. Yes they are popular!!!

And please try to respect others, as I have not insulted you or any other in this forum.
we have a saying in my country
" a thief judges by his condition"

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
03-14-2010 14:27 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

your own words. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
Pink floyd is not a popular band

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-14-2010 14:40.

03-14-2010 14:40 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I understand what pegotico is trying to say. Most people (even those that may claim to be Pink Floyd fans) have heard little or nothing of their music made prior to Dark Side of the Moon.

03-14-2010 21:28 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

pink floyd (with roger waters) blows away 99.9% of bands out there...
and yes, most are fair weather fans who have never heard anything pre-dark side...
well, to be fair, the pre-dark-side stuff is the really freaky acid-head stuff... Shocked Tongue
i don't listen to that stuff very often...but i do own most of them...
i only own one cd each of elvis and the beatles...
both "greatest hits" albums.... Red Face

Cool
03-14-2010 21:40 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The "greatest hits" stuff of the Beatles and Elvis are probably their least interesting stuff.

03-14-2010 21:59 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

oh, good...cuz' both aren't very good! Tongue

Wink

Cool
03-14-2010 22:02 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
The "greatest hits" stuff of the Beatles and Elvis are probably their least interesting stuff.

Agreed!

Love the weird album cuts and B sides of The Beatles.
"You know my name look up the number" is an all time favorite song as are "And your bird can sing" and "Hey Bulldog."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-14-2010 23:03.

03-14-2010 23:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Hey Bulldog!
I see you!!!

03-14-2010 23:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is pretty cool.

03-14-2010 23:16 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

quote:
pre-dark side...

"Atom Heart Mother" is a fave.

If I want some Floyd, I listen to this or "Animals", though I love it all, even the two albums without Waters.

Floyd is still a big deal. You can tell significant bands not only by their sales and popularity, but by their record contracts and the power the band wields. There's a reason why, usually, you don't see The Beatles or Pink Floyd in cut-out bins. From what I understand, the unsold records must be returned to their label. There aren't many acts that can stipulate something like this. See also the recent PF lawsuit about selling individual tracks. There's some power there for sure, as most bands wouldn't even dream about suing over something like this.

quote:
Love the weird album cuts and B sides of The Beatles.

"It's All Too Much", "Only a Northern Song" from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.

"Old Brown Shoe" as the B-side to "The Ballad of John and Yoko"

I have an affinity for George's songs, for sure.

And the mash-up of "Within You, Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows" from "Love".

I know some purists will balk, but I really dig that album, and the above track especially.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 03-14-2010 23:42.

03-14-2010 23:26 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

well since the CCM bands topic has once again entered the subduction zone buried under the music Christian adolescent males listen to when mom isn't looking, i think it only fair to recall the greatness of Boris the Spider by the Who, Who have not received the appropriate accolades in these... CCM, Oh Where Art Thou... diaries.

way too serious for my attention span guys.

following (eventually) are the lyrics - according to wikipedia according to pete townshend (2nd cousin to audiori-sanskis, his mother being the former brother of their auntie) this was jimi hendrix's favorite Who song... written by the late-great Entwhistle, recorded in 1966, unadultered genius:

also, and I qoute wikipedia, "The chorus of this song utilizes vocals that influenced the vocal style of death metal singers, called the death growl."
how you gonna compete with that?

now before we go on i must take exception to a previous comment in passing regarding the electric hendrix... "hippie audience"?! where do you think Jesus freaks came from, boarding schools?
hendrix was a ground breaking rock guitarist - i guarantee you he is one of a select few who's recordings are studied and emulated in detail to this day by those learning their chops, be they at juilliard or jerry's junkyard...

hmmm, where were we?

oh, yeah... Boris lyrics

Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Psalm 119:83

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 03-15-2010 00:05.

03-15-2010 00:01 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:

That's a great tune as well, yes!!!

03-15-2010 05:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
well since the CCM bands topic has once again entered the subduction zone buried under the music Christian adolescent males listen to when mom isn't looking, i think it only fair to recall the greatness of Boris the Spider by the Who, Who have not received the appropriate accolades in these... CCM, Oh Where Art Thou... diaries.

way too serious for my attention span guys.

following (eventually) are the lyrics - according to wikipedia according to pete townshend (2nd cousin to audiori-sanskis, his mother being the former brother of their auntie) this was jimi hendrix's favorite Who song... written by the late-great Entwhistle, recorded in 1966, unadultered genius:

also, and I qoute wikipedia, "The chorus of this song utilizes vocals that influenced the vocal style of death metal singers, called the death growl."
how you gonna compete with that?

now before we go on i must take exception to a previous comment in passing regarding the electric hendrix... "hippie audience"?! where do you think Jesus freaks came from, boarding schools?
hendrix was a ground breaking rock guitarist - i guarantee you he is one of a select few who's recordings are studied and emulated in detail to this day by those learning their chops, be they at juilliard or jerry's junkyard...

hmmm, where were we?

oh, yeah... Boris lyrics

Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Great song!
The Who wrote so many songs that were not only great on many levels of understanding, but were also in fact, just plain great rock and roll.

Songs with more depth than anyone else and they rocked it harder than anyone else!!

On a good night, they were the best rock-n-roll band of all time.

On a bad night, they were still pretty dang good.
Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-15-2010 05:28.

03-15-2010 05:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:

no need to google that "dark side of the moon"

lets add some interesting info here, dont see Pink Floyd here which if they were so popular they should have also made one of this list.
But you win Dennis "hope you feel better, you win", Im not fighting over this. A little laugh now!!

Most top-ten albums[5]
The Rolling Stones (36)
Frank Sinatra (32)
The Beatles (31)
Barbra Streisand (30)
Elvis Presley (28

Most number-one albums[6]
The Beatles (19)
Jay-Z (11)
Elvis Presley (10)
Bruce Springsteen (9) (tie)
The Rolling Stones (9) (tie)
Barbra Streisand (9) (tie)
Elton John (7) (tie)
Led Zeppelin (7) (tie)
Madonna (7) (tie)
U2 (7) (tie)

Most cumulative weeks at number one
The Beatles (132)
Elvis Presley (67)
the grand pedobino (51)
Garth Brooks (51)
Whitney Houston (46) (tie)
The Kingston Trio (46) (tie)

Most weeks at number-one
(54 weeks) West Side Story — Soundtrack (1961-1962)
(37 weeks) Thriller — the grand pedobino (1983-84)
(31 weeks) Calypso — Harry Belafonte (1956)
(31 weeks) South Pacific — Soundtrack (1958
(31 weeks) Rumours — Fleetwood Mac (1977)
(24 weeks) Saturday Night Fever — Soundtrack (1978
(24 weeks) Purple Rain — Prince and the Revolution (1984)
(21 weeks) Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em — MC Hammer (1990)
(20 weeks) The Bodyguard — Whitney Houston/Soundtrack (1992)
(20 weeks) Blue Hawaii — Elvis Presley (1961)

Most weeks on the top ten
(153 weeks) Music for Lovers Only — Jackie Gleason (1953)
(130 weeks) Glenn Miller — Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
(84 weeks) Peter, Paul and Mary — Peter, Paul and Mary (1962)
(84 weeks) Born in the U.S.A. — Bruce Springsteen (1984)
(78 weeks) Thriller — the grand pedobino (1982)
(78 weeks) Hysteria — Def Leppard (1987)
(77 weeks) The Student Prince — Mario Lanza (1954)
(72 weeks) Merry Christmas — Bing Crosby (1955)
(72 weeks) Jagged Little Pill — Alanis Morissette (1995)
(64 weeks) Forever Your Girl — Paula Abdul (1988

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 03-15-2010 12:24.

03-15-2010 11:22 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:

I think this was the song that started it all, he "JL" was under the effects of LSD and this was their first psychedelic song. Very Cool song! from one of their best albums

03-15-2010 11:28 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by sondance

didnt know christians or the jesus freaks had come from hendrix.

But on the music side I thought that the beatles was their major influence. Even DA has a major influence of the Eagles, beatles, and E.L.O. on horrendous disc. Their first album was country. Their second album is similar to SGT peppers on the Bside. Later they were more of a pop group and then alternative. Love song also had a beatles influence.

I dont know many christian bands from the 70's and 80's so I cant talk much about that. Maybe someone can help here.

03-15-2010 11:42 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by pegotico
quote:

no need to google that "dark side of the moon"

lets add some interesting info here, dont see Pink Floyd here which if they were so popular they should have also made one of this list.
But you win Dennis "hope you feel better, you win", Im not fighting over this. A little laugh now!!

Apology accepted.

03-15-2010 12:51 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc makes #4 on the list...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH