Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Churches all over my town » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Churches all over my town
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-509.jpg

Registration Date: 03-27-2002

Churches all over my town Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was told by a local preacher that he found out from the city there is over 70 Churches in the town I live. A town of 19,000 people. That's like a Chruch for every 300 people. Is that normal?

08-05-2010 13:23 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by Drtuddle
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I put this in the wrong thread so I'm going to try to tie it in with Da. More Churches should mean I have increased odds of having Da or The LD's play my town

08-05-2010 14:11 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In a lot of areas when a church gets to be a few hundred people a chunk splits off and starts a new one. I thinka majority of people don't want to be in a megachurch.

08-05-2010 14:42 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

yeah but I really enjoy the Coffe House in my mega Church. In the Dallas area Mega Churches are popping up everywhere. I don't know... I just feel all that money goes into it and I think to myself would Jesus need a big flashy auditorium? How many wells could be dug or houses built for people in poverty with the money into that Mega Church? I'm from a house church background. I really felt ministered to in that forum but things got too personal for a few elder members and it all fell apart.

08-05-2010 15:25 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I've never been to a megachurch, so if any of the following sounds ignorant, I apologize in advance.

How much one-on-one is afforded an attendee of a megachurch. I suspect little to none. Having the preacher way up there and the people way down there seems like a lot of ego-bloat and celebrity. If the pastor doesn't interact personally with the members, is he really being a true pastor or the emcee of a God show?
08-05-2010 18:47 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Biblically, the church is a priesthood of all believers, so it doesn't matter if the pastor interacts with all the members. Technically, we're all ministers, ministering to each other. I know many will disagree, but the idea of one guy being "the pastor" as we know it today isn't found in the early church. I argue with people about it all the time Tongue

As far as creating a cult of personality, I would agree. But this also happens in smaller churches. When people come for a certain preaching style, or a show instead of to gather together to worship God and be the church, that's where the problem lies, and it can happen in any church.

08-05-2010 19:31 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

Should a mega church or any Church for that matter be built on credit? I remember one church I attended said they wouldn't add to the church or build anything unless they already had the money. Which to me was biblical

08-05-2010 19:52 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

I don't like mega-churches myself, but the first Christians met in a pretty impressive building and had thousands of converts there in Jerusalem. Scripture doesn't really dictate the physical manifestation of the institutional church; as long as a church finds a way to function as a part of the Body of Christ and fulfill his commission, I don't think size or structure it matters.
08-06-2010 08:38 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I've attended a couple "mega-churches". I think it's more financially effecient than a bunch of small churches, offers more "programs" and can do things (like missions) on a larger scale. Most "mega-churches" have "small group" Bible studies that allow you to connect with people.

There's nothing wrong with small or large churches. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and they do the work of God in different ways (maybe one is a "finger" and the other is a "leg" on the body of Christ... different parts of the body, but both important....).

08-06-2010 09:14 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

Some mega churches is seems are like a business. I know some that will give out little lunch bags to employees at area businesses. Which yeah that is cool, but probably people who have jobs can afford their own lunch. I guess I just see it as the church trying to gain members which means they gain tithing. Find the poor, elderly, widows, single parent folks to give the lunches. I see lots of merchandise being sold at churches also. These pastors are living like fat rats in a cheese factory. When you live a lavish life that is given to you because you are preaching the word of God I think there is obvious conflict. Say you were a preacher at a MEga Church and ,God forbid, you lost your faith or committed a major sin where you should step down but only you or a few of your top employees of the church know about it.. You think that Pastor is gong to give up that fat paycheck. Too much temptation. Too much at risk. Camel through the eye of a needle.

I remember reading a book by Michael Card where he went to a Christian product convention. You know where they would sale bible figures and christian board games and anything they could market to christians. He said he felt compelled to start turning all the tables over like Jesus did in the temple. I guess he felt like it trivialized God and his work. Of course the irony was I was reading the book at a Christian book store I worked at.

08-06-2010 10:11 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
When you live a lavish life that is given to you because you are preaching the word of God I think there is obvious conflict.

I completely agree with this, but the two "mega-churches" I've been to the pastors have lived modest lives, in fairly small homes, driving old cars. The lead pastor at one of the churches didn't even have a/c in his car (in Arizona!).

quote:
I remember reading a book by Michael Card

That's your first problem.... Tongue Big Grin

08-06-2010 11:59 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

Michael Card? Oh don't tell me there is something wrong with him. He's not another Larry Norman is he?

08-06-2010 12:15 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I don't know anything specific about him. Just that I don't care for his music. I've never read any of his books.

08-06-2010 16:38 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:
When you live a lavish life that is given to you because you are preaching the word of God I think there is obvious conflict.

I completely agree with this, but the two "mega-churches" I've been to the pastors have lived modest lives, in fairly small homes, driving old cars. The lead pastor at one of the churches didn't even have a/c in his car (in Arizona!).

quote:
I remember reading a book by Michael Card

That's your first problem.... Tongue Big Grin

The default in this has become Joel Osteen. You do not expect that he would be driving an old beater around town. The same for Rick Warren. I could be wrong, but both these men seem intent to keep those pleats sharp.
08-06-2010 17:21 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Drtuddle
I just feel all that money goes into it and I think to myself would Jesus need a big flashy auditorium? How many wells could be dug or houses built for people in poverty with the money into that Mega Church? .

very sad and true. we dont have to go very far, if Benny Hinn sold his house, and gave it to help... MANY MANY MANY ppl would get HELP!!!

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 08-08-2010 20:31.

08-08-2010 20:29 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

I thought I heard Benny's wife left him so I'm thinking th house(s) went with her.

08-08-2010 21:27 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
I don't know anything specific about him. Just that I don't care for his music. I've never read any of his books.

I've met him a couple of times, and he seems like a quiet, unassuming, even humble guy. He did an outdoor show here in town where the electricity went out halfway through the concert. After about half an hour, the band pulled out the guitars, accordion, and bodhran, and did the rest of the concert complete acoustic sitting in the middle of the audience. From sitting literally at their feet, I can say the were all talented musicians. I guess that doesn't mean one would like his music, but no sniping please. Wink
08-09-2010 09:21 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Drtuddle
Woolly Eggwhisk

Scandalon

08-09-2010 13:55 Drtuddle is offline Send an Email to Drtuddle Homepage of Drtuddle Search for Posts by Drtuddle Add Drtuddle to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Drtuddle
Scandalon

The seers and the prophets had foretold it long ago
That the long awaited one would make men stumble
But they were looking for a king to conquer and to kill
Who'd have ever thought He'd be so meek and humble

He will be the truth that will offend them one and all
A stone that makes men stumble
And a rock that makes them fall

Many will be broken so that He can make them whole
And many will be crushed and lose their own soul
Along the path of life there lies a stubborn Scandalon
And all who come this way must be offended
To some He is a barrier, To others He's the way
For all should know the scandal of believing

It seems today the Scandalon offends no one at all
The image we present can be stepped over
Could it be that we are like the others long ago
Will we ever learn that all who come must stumble

08-10-2010 00:06 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:

I've met him a couple of times, and he seems like a quiet, unassuming, even humble guy. He did an outdoor show here in town where the electricity went out halfway through the concert. After about half an hour, the band pulled out the guitars, accordion, and bodhran, and did the rest of the concert complete acoustic sitting in the middle of the audience. From sitting literally at their feet, I can say the were all talented musicians. I guess that doesn't mean one would like his music, but no sniping please. Wink

I'm not a fan per-say of Michael Card, but do have his greatest hits album from a decade or so ago. Even if you don't appreciate his musical style, his lyrics are poetic bible studies.

(I've heard that each of his albums is a direct outcome from his personal bible study.)

08-10-2010 00:11 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Churches all over my town

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH