Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New DA 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:
Originally posted by joey
colbert's production is not the issue...
if that was the issue, the whole album would .suck, and it definitely does not... Cool
just, with that many songs, there are gonna be some that are only 3 star songs compared to 5 star songs like author of the story, who's who here?, etc...
of course, as a wise man once said, that's just my opinion, i could be wrong... Tongue

One thing that supports having that variety is that people will disagree on which are the better songs. For example, Who's Who Here? is not one of my favorites, though I like it pretty well. But I'm sure some of my favorites would be other folks' 3-star songs.

Yes, when a band has had a career of producing all kinds of varied material, there are subsets of fans that prefer certain sounds. Some people like the variety, but some think 'Darn Floor' is the best, some think 'Shotgun Angel' is and so on. If you are going to at least in part try and please everyone, you need a good variety and an album like Buechners sort of does just that. There is something for everyone.

11-09-2010 09:19 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You even get that in a single song. For instance, "Meanwhile" sounds like a '60s pop tune until the chorus, where it morphs into a Southern pop kind of song. "Rice Paper Wings" starts like a lullaby waltz then goes all mid-Eastern.
11-09-2010 09:49 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

quote:
If you don't like double records take the 2nd disc and throw it out.

I think you completely missed the point I was making. Perhaps Disc 1 (of whatever double album) would have sounded different had the artist (whichever artist) focused solely on that.
For example, to me, MBD has a lot in common with BibleLand. There are many times it has or almost has that "live in the studio" feel. Maybe that is what Terry was shooting for. And maybe it wasn't, but the time, energy and money that would have been required to make it how he really wanted it wasn't there. Who knows?
My point is that double-albums are more of a daunting task, and it is not pulled off much more often than it is....

quote:
If you are going to at least in part try and please everyone

I hope Terry doesn't try to please everyone. If he'd done that, DA would not be the band that it is. I think part of what has made DA great is that they forged their own path (with the direction of the Holy Spirit). I think that is part of the reason why so many in CCM rejected them, including many that used to call themselves "fans".

11-09-2010 10:09 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

In case anyone missed it because of all the double-album/MBD discussions, here's the link to the latest DA commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgc0v6-ovPI

quote:
http://networkedblogs.com/aiTTR

Hey, that's cool. Thanks for posting!

11-09-2010 10:15 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I actually hope it's not a double album. Sometimes quantity does not equal quality. Most "double-albums" that have been made over the years seem to have a less polished feel to them, IMHO, including Mr. Buechner's Dream. Maybe it's on purpose and coincidental, but I think the amount of time, effort and ultimately money it takes to give each song and the overall concept the attention it needs and deserves--I think it is more of a daunting task on the longer albums.
Just my 2 pennies.

I would love another double album! That would be wonderful!
MBD is great as is.

i wouldn't throw out disc 1 or 2 of mbd...just about 5 songs and the 15 minutes of silence so it would fit on 1 disc.. Evil

Cool
11-09-2010 10:46 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
[QUOTE]If you don't like double records take the 2nd disc and throw it out.

quote:
[QUOTE]I think you completely missed the point I was making. Perhaps Disc 1 (of whatever double album) would have sounded different had the artist (whichever artist) focused solely on that.
For example, to me, MBD has a lot in common with BibleLand. There are many times it has or almost has that "live in the studio" feel. Maybe that is what Terry was shooting for. And maybe it wasn't, but the time, energy and money that would have been required to make it how he really wanted it wasn't there. Who knows?
My point is that double-albums are more of a daunting task, and it is not pulled off much more often than it is....

If you were to expect a double album from a normal band that is ok, but we are talking about Terry which I think has prove himself in making excellent music. MBD is excellent, i couldnt find anything wrong with it. It's like the wall from PF, everything is good in that double album. Whatever he is inspire to do im pretty sure it will come out ok "double or single". Proof of that is MBD, last 2 Lost dogs album and also midget.

quote:
If you are going to at least in part try and please everyone

I really dont think MBD pleases everyone.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 11-09-2010 10:49.

11-09-2010 10:47 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
quote:
quote:
I actually hope it's not a double album. Sometimes quantity does not equal quality. Most "double-albums" that have been made over the years seem to have a less polished feel to them, IMHO, including Mr. Buechner's Dream. Maybe it's on purpose and coincidental, but I think the amount of time, effort and ultimately money it takes to give each song and the overall concept the attention it needs and deserves--I think it is more of a daunting task on the longer albums.
Just my 2 pennies.

I would love another double album! That would be wonderful!
MBD is great as is.

i wouldn't throw out disc 1 or 2 of mbd...just about 5 songs and the 15 minutes of silence so it would fit on 1 disc.. Evil

you can manually do that and then sell mbd

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
11-09-2010 10:51 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
I hope Terry doesn't try to please everyone. If he'd done that, DA would not be the band that it is. I think part of what has made DA great is that they forged their own path (with the direction of the Holy Spirit). I think that is part of the reason why so many in CCM rejected them, including many that used to call themselves "fans".

I completely agree!!!, when he tries to please everyone in the market his music wont be the same, But maybe jason meant pleasing his fans

11-09-2010 10:53 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Exactly, he does want to make his fans happy. He has stopped trying to please everyone years ago, since its impossible. But my point is really, the fanbase if very fragmented because of DA's ever changing career. In this sense, you will please more people with the more variety you have on an album and there is greater chance for variety if you have a lot of music on the album. So the end result is you end up pleasing everyone to a degree, but only in part.

The 'darn floor' fans will find something to like on Buechners, and certain songs they will not like. Same for the 'shotgun angel' fans and the 'alarma' fans and so on.

11-09-2010 12:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

actually (when a post starts with "actually" get out your shovel) i find when i listen to a cd with as much variety as MBD, not only are my smorgasbord tastes in music titillated but, watching closely in the mirror, my physical appearence changes from song to song. for example when listening to “rice paper wings” little wingie thingies sprout out of the top of my ears, later I see they are really long ancient hairs... one was an inch long before I got out the hedge trimmers; when listening to “who’s who here?” my face contorts uncontrollably into a series of vaguely familiar but distorted doppelganger images… this was discovered to be gas; and finally when listening to “the staggering gods” my feet go numb, i drool and mutter incoherently… until my wife pokes me in the side and says, “roll over, you’re snoring.”

Psalm 119:83
11-09-2010 14:56 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
actually (when a post starts with "actually" get out your shovel) i find when i listen to a cd with as much variety as MBD, not only are my smorgasbord tastes in music titillated but, watching closely in the mirror, my physical appearence changes from song to song. for example when listening to “rice paper wings” little wingie thingies sprout out of the top of my ears, later I see they are really long ancient hairs... one was an inch long before I got out the hedge trimmers; when listening to “who’s who here?” my face contorts uncontrollably into a series of vaguely familiar but distorted doppelganger images… this was discovered to be gas; and finally when listening to “the staggering gods” my feet go numb, i drool and mutter incoherently… until my wife pokes me in the side and says, “roll over, you’re snoring.”

we cant complain about MBD, here are the extras Big Grin

many many extras. here is one example:no need for sleeping pills, it even helps you sleep

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 11-09-2010 15:15.

11-09-2010 15:13 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

I tapped MBD on a 120 minute tape and added "Nowhere is someplace" and a few other tribute DA songs. So my version is longer!

11-09-2010 19:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I tapped MBD on a 120 minute tape and added "Nowhere is someplace" and a few other tribute DA songs. So my version is longer!

yes, i did include nowhere is someplace on my one disc version... Cool

Cool
11-09-2010 21:56 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ceremonial Kernel

Nowhere is Someplace should have made the cut....

11-09-2010 22:56 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

agreed... Cool
and thick skin, ribbons and bows, ordianary extraordinary day, the staggering gods and she's a hard drink should not.... Evil

imho... Wink

Cool
11-09-2010 23:25 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I lost somewhere my mp3 of Nowhere is Someplace. Can it legally be obtained somewhere?

11-09-2010 23:48 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Luteous Llama

quote:

IMHO MBD is perfect as it is, Tongue

11-10-2010 05:39 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
quote:

agreed... Cool
and thick skin, ribbons and bows, ordianary extraordinary day, the staggering gods and she's a hard drink should not.... Evil

And that is a list of songs that I like very much. Tongue
11-10-2010 08:10 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Right now, the only official release of Nowhere is Someplace is on the DVD.

Just a little update folks... the full announcement should be coming soon. One thing that has delayed it a little (aside from just working out the details) is that Terry is working on an idea of something to do for Christmas... its a very unique idea and should be fun. Keep watching!

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
11-10-2010 08:49 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Thread Starter Thread Started by Eis

quote:
quote:

agreed... Cool

imho... Wink

Extraordinary Day is the song that convinced me to check out Daniel Amos in the first place...so it did at least some good. Tongue
11-10-2010 09:52 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 4 5 [6] 7 8 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » New DA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH