Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Tour 2011 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA Tour 2011 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 RE: DA Tour 2011 Longstride 06-14-2011 14:07
 RE: DA Tour 2011 wakachiwaka 06-14-2011 14:20
 RE: DA Tour 2011 vapspwi 06-14-2011 14:54
 RE: DA Tour 2011 sondance 06-14-2011 09:23
 Gear List MartyB 06-15-2011 16:46
 RE: Gear List wakachiwaka 06-15-2011 23:46
 RE: Gear List wakachiwaka 06-16-2011 09:47
 RE: Gear List MartyB 06-16-2011 19:14
 RE: Gear List MartyB 06-16-2011 22:08
 RE: Gear List wakachiwaka 06-17-2011 02:01
 RE: DA Tour 2011 Audiori J 06-14-2011 15:48
 RE: DA Tour 2011 sondance 06-14-2011 18:18
 RE: DA Tour 2011 BigDork 06-14-2011 22:36
 RE: DA Tour 2011 ahanson 06-18-2011 08:56
 RE: DA Tour 2011 MarkyMark77 06-14-2011 20:04
 RE: DA Tour 2011 audiori 06-15-2011 00:29
 RE: DA Tour 2011 Eis 06-14-2011 21:22
 RE: DA Tour 2011 Audiori J 06-14-2011 23:17
 RE: DA Tour 2011 audiori 06-15-2011 02:08
 RE: DA Tour 2011 wakachiwaka 06-15-2011 03:42
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Longstride Longstride is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-414.jpg

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwakaLooks like Jerry had one of his guitars on a stand facing away from the audience. The fabled Doppel-Axe, I presume?

I don't remember if he ever actually played it, but he did spend an entire song wrestling with the strap and was only ready to play just as the song ended. Then he switched right back to his other guitar while Terry joked about it.

I estimated the attendance around 120. Disappointing turnout, but it was a Monday night in a suburb 30 minutes from town.

Host of Digital Pillage on the former WRVU, 91.1 FM, Nashville.
06-14-2011 14:07 Longstride is offline Homepage of Longstride Search for Posts by Longstride Add Longstride to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Longstride
I don't remember if he ever actually played it, but he did spend an entire song wrestling with the strap and was only ready to play just as the song ended. Then he switched right back to his other guitar while Terry joked about it.

Hmm... sounds suspiciously Spinal Tap-esque. A deliberate gag, or genuine snafu, you think?
06-14-2011 14:20 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
vapspwi
Dark Steamy Cabbage

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
Hmm... sounds suspiciously Spinal Tap-esque. A deliberate gag, or genuine snafu, you think?

I wondered if it was a gag, but the set was otherwise devoid of slapstick and hijinx, so I think it was actually just a goof. Terry described it as a "Spinal Tap moment."

JRjr
06-14-2011 14:54 vapspwi is offline Search for Posts by vapspwi Add vapspwi to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

great photo, we need a gear list
is Ed on a new kit?
what was the attendance?

Psalm 119:83
06-14-2011 09:23 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 09-13-2002

Gear List Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I saw a photo on FB that looked like Greg is playing a Line 6 Variax last night. That'll get him all kinds of sounds for all the differnt DA eras.

MArtyB
06-15-2011 16:46 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: Gear List Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by MartyB
I saw a photo on FB that looked like Greg is playing a Line 6 Variax last night. That'll get him all kinds of sounds for all the differnt DA eras.

MArtyB

So he is! I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Being a VAX owner myself, I'd call that a ringing endorsement...
06-15-2011 23:46 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

RE: Gear List Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Originally posted by MartyB

MArtyB

So he is! I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Being a VAX owner myself, I'd call that a ringing endorsement...

And now that I've gotten a closer look, I can see Jerry's playing one of the new James Tyler VAX models.

06-16-2011 09:47 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

So this is a Variax with pickups too? Didn't know that was out there.

I've never played a VAX (I assume that's the insider lingo uou're using) but seen a few played at various shows. Steve Howe of Yes uses one to replace some of his more exotic instruments like the Coral electric Sitar, but I haven't seen one played as a main axe much.

MartyB
06-16-2011 19:14 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
MartyB
Esculent Eskimo

Per Pam Mark Hall on FB, Line 6 gave the band an endorsement deal for the tour, thus the Variax's.
06-16-2011 22:08 MartyB is offline Send an Email to MartyB Search for Posts by MartyB Add MartyB to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Yeah, two of the Tyler Variax guitars have dual humbuckers, and the third (the tremolo model) has a humbucker in the bridge position, and two single-coil pickups at the center and neck. The one Jerry's got is the most attractive of the three - the other two are just butt-ugly.

The Tylers are the only ones currently in production - I wonder why Greg got an older model instead?

I have the original budget-line build, the 300. I use it in combination with the POD XT Live - I like the combo a lot. I've been able to use the Workbench software to create some cool custom model sounds: I tweaked the Rick 360-12 model a bit to give it a bit more McGuinn-style bite, and also came up with a believable electric bass sound and high-strung (Nashville-style) acoustic guitar tuning. They've all come in handy at one time or another when I played for Sunday morning services. Cool
06-17-2011 02:01 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

We'll try and give a report on tonights Wentzville show, if we're not too busy during the whole thing.

06-14-2011 15:48 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

any chance of a show being recorded, seems like it could pay for itself... maybe?

Psalm 119:83
06-14-2011 18:18 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
any chance of a show being recorded, seems like it could pay for itself... maybe?

They should record every show and then put together a best of... but that would require a lot of time and energy to set it all up. It would be cool though to hear each song performed at their best.

06-14-2011 22:36 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
ahanson ahanson is a male
Unsullied Affiche

RE: a video release of a show.......This MUST happen.....surely there are some geeky, gear-head DA fans who will be attending and could help the band make sure at least one show is filmed/recorded with an eye toward a commercial release? This tour is too unbelievable and historically significant to not be properly documented.
06-18-2011 08:56 ahanson is offline Send an Email to ahanson Search for Posts by ahanson Add ahanson to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

I didn't realize there were so many board members at this show, or I would have said "hi" to you all. Was the guitar problem during "New Car"? It was funny. I think he may have played the last note of the song. Some observations:

--Paul certainly adds to the mix vocally. I would characterize his stage presence as frenetic, when compared to the others.

--I would say that turnout for a show like this in Nashville was actually decent in light of how apathetic people are for a lot of shows.

--I have to say that I've never heard Terry sound this good. Not that he ever sounds bad, but he seemed a little reinvigorated. You could definitely tell he was happy that DA is playing again.

--I'm glad they have the twin lead attack of Jerry and Greg. That's probably my favorite lineup of the band.

Not to get too dramatic, but the show reminded me of the history of these guys and the treasure of what this band, and the other Dogs-related bands, have accomplished. Back catalogs of consistently good-to-great music over a period of decades. My only complaint (and it's small one) is that there wasn't much music product. There was, however, posters, shirts and towels(!).

quote:

Boy, I hope so. I hope at least one of the venues has decent A/V recording equipment, and something leaks out, or, even better, we get an official release.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 06-14-2011 20:06.

06-14-2011 20:04 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
....there wasn't much music product. There was, however, posters, shirts and towels(!).

Thats the downside of seeing them before they hit Wentzville... Big Grin they do have more with them now, including the new tour samplers.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-15-2011 00:29 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Ditto on Terry's vocals. His vocals were strong, forceful in all the right ways, subtle in all the right ways.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Eis: 06-14-2011 21:22.

06-14-2011 21:22 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The Wentzville show was GREAT, the setlist was basically the same. The turnout was pretty good for a gig in Wentzville, I am guessing maybe 100 people or so? Kevin Shafer even drove 800 miles or so to this show. There were a lot of old DA fans there.

06-14-2011 23:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

A few changes for the Wentzville show... it was slightly shorter so a couple of songs were dropped unfortunately. I was looking forward to seeing "Posse in the Sky." Maybe they'll pull that one back out for Cstone...

Who's Who Here?
Mall (All Over the World)
Walls Of Doubt
Catch That Angel
Endless Summer
Broken Ladders To Glory
If You Want To
Buffalo Hills
Hide The Beer, The Pastor's Here
New Car!
Man In The Moon
Ain't Gonna Fight It
The Twist
Sanctuary
I Love You #19

Encore:
Hold Back The Wind, Donna
Stone Away
And So It Goes

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-15-2011 02:08 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Hm - I'm just not sure it's a real D.A. show without a rousing rendition of "I Didn't Build It For Me", naturally involving some wild shenanigans during the breakdown in the middle...
06-15-2011 03:42 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Pages (10): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Tour 2011

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH