Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Cornerstone - the end is near » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Cornerstone - the end is near
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Kansas has their annual "Wheathead" fest. It's typically in Kansas, but they've had it elsewhere (like Las Vegas) a couple times. Kansas is obviously the headline act, and Kansas-related artists (such as Steve Walsh solo, Proto~Kaw a couple times, Jake Livgren, tribute bands, etc) open up for them.

How about an annual Lost Dogs fest?

You could have an annual event that features DA, 77s, The Choir, Lost Dogs, Swirling Eddies, 7&7iS, Larry, DAS, and Kerosene Halo, as well as solo stuff from Terry, Jerry, Derri, Mike and Steve. Maybe there are other related artists. Fan bands. Bands that consider the main artists as a major influence (e.g. SF59). Bands that want to pay tribute to the main artists.

I don't know where the best place for something like this would be, but perhaps there are some areas that have a high concentration of fans. It could be in the same place each year, or in a different place each year.

I think it would take help from the fans (both financially and physically) to pull it off. But I'm pretty sure it could be pulled off.

It need be only one day, I would think. If there were a lot of interest (both by fans and artists), it could be two days, but one day seems more practical.

Something like this is something I would be willing to travel across a couple states to experience.

Anyone else with some thoughts?

While I think a Lost Dogs Fest is a wonderful dream, we're still talking about a time in which DA needs a Kickstarter program just to raise funds to try and start an album. Plus, all of Terry's financial and health issues preclude this pie from ever falling from the sky.

No, Cornerstone for all its faults represented a nexus point in many ways. A young, faithful yet culturally rebellious demographic; record labels that were actually interested in seeing them do well (and no longer exist); and an audience that, by and large, were young enough and not so preoccupied by life's needs (immediate family, jobs, bills, bills, bills) to attend without hesitations. It's a different world. Even if Cornerstone had stayed true to its roots, it couldn't exist in today's world...and so it won't.
05-26-2012 20:02 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's pretty crazy what these guys charge. We brought in a speaker (1 guy, minimal props) for a 1-hour session, and he charges $5500 for that, but he cut it down to $3500. I can pay a few hundred bucks and have Mike Roe play in my living room, and have several times. Worth every penny, and I'm actually seeing someone who has honed a talent and skill. I echo what has been said here: they charge what the market will bear, and seem to be leaving the concept of ministry by the wayside, even as they tout their music or speaking as ministry of some kind.

I won't make it this year, sadly, but with Over the Rhine and Bill Mallonee dropping out, there are two acts right there that might have pushed me over the edge to attending. C-Stone was a great experience when I've attended, and even though it has changed, it was still a great catch-all for bands you never see, and certainly never see in one place. That said, you'd think since they've been doing it this long, they could have pulled it together and gotten a clue about who their core audience were/are. The average C-Stone ticket buyer probably wasn't going for Toby Mac.

I like the older bands and the newer bands (really dug Flatfoot 56 the last time I was there), and really enjoyed that cross section.

05-26-2012 20:20 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The idea of a Lost Dogs Fest was on the table at one point believe it or not. I think it was when it was clear that Cornerstone was moving away from these guys to some degree. The idea was tossed around to just skip all of the other festivals and start a new one with all of the Dogs bands and their friends. I don't think locations were ever discussed but it would probably have been in Tennessee or someplace like that where some of them are already located. That was probably 2002 or 2003. Somewhere in there. The idea was to keep it small.. maybe one or two days and just have every combination of these bands playing over that time period... solo shows, each band doing a show, a Dogs show.. add in Undercover, Riki Michele and anyone else that was available at the time.

It was hard enough that it never happened back then, and unfortunately I think it would be a lot harder now. They may figure out something similar though.. something in the midwest that they can do every year and count on it being there the way Cornerstone used to be.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-26-2012 21:02 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

It doesn't have to be over-the-top or huge. One stage, one day is probably enough. Maybe two stages if there's a lot of interest.

It would be a great way for the fans to see the artists they love and also to be with people who have a similar taste in music.

If the kickstarter thing works ( Shocked I said if, shame on me!), maybe kickstarter could be used to raise funds for the fest.

It would take someone grabbing and running with this (any volunteers?). I could certainly see it coming together, but probably no sooner than summer 2014.

05-26-2012 23:07 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I guess that we have the same sort of thing here in NZ with the Parachute festival. It attracts up to 25,000 people over a 3 day weekend.
It's been going over 20 years and has followed a similar pattern to Cornerstone in some ways. As the years have progressed they have booked more "big name" bands and allowed for fewer smaller acts. (this year we had Casting Crowns as the big act). Smaller merchandising people have been squeezed out as fees went up.
A lot of the festival is run by volunteers and I know of one case personally where one of the volunteers was bankrupted when some gear went missing and the organisers left him to foot the bill.

The organisers have watched the trends a bit more carefully, however, and when it became obvious that prices were too high and there would be fewer coming in 2012 they dropped prices for families to "whatever they can afford". This meant that we were able to go this year.
So, the festival will go on here and hopefully offer something for everyone. I haven't been to many but have great memories of watching Delerious perform late one evening and casting Crowns were pretty good this year. Meeting Uncle Rand was my highlight this year though!
There's stiil a place for festivals...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
05-31-2012 05:39 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

This thread has been getting me to reminisce a little bit. Here are some C-Stone 84 videos in case any one wants to join me.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-fu5b08cM

Part 2 (starts with DA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyd3eK17tuU

Part 3 (my friends and I are immortalized in this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwB9K4NNPs

77's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIwBQ8fCbY

77's DA Steve Taylor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQGWsMB8qs

Many of you probably have seen this already. If not, enjoy.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
05-31-2012 20:33 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by sprinklerhead
This thread has been getting me to reminisce a little bit. Here are some C-Stone 84 videos in case any one wants to join me.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-fu5b08cM

Part 2 (starts with DA)

77's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIwBQ8fCbY

77's DA Steve Taylor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQGWsMB8qs

Many of you probably have seen this already. If not, enjoy.

Yup - I was there at the inaugural fest in '84 too. Thankfully, I do not appear in any of the above footage. Big Grin
06-01-2012 00:34 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Are you the clown? Confused

Shocked

Big Grin

06-01-2012 12:29 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Part 2 (starts with DA)

Was there a trombonist with DA?

06-01-2012 12:34 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

That is Leo Sorentino who played the part of Johnny Jacobs for "New Car."

06-01-2012 13:12 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Oh, ok. Cool.

06-01-2012 13:35 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Administrator

Everybody in the band appreciated Leo...

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
06-01-2012 13:41 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
quote:

Are you the clown? Confused

Shocked

Big Grin

Nope. Not the clown and not sure I really want to admit where we come in at haha

06-01-2012 13:54 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Was 84 the year that Steve Taylor broke his ankle?

06-01-2012 15:29 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Aye Agnus, 'twas the year.

06-01-2012 16:05 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Nope. Not the clown and not sure I really want to admit where we come in at haha

pretty sure that was you and some buds messing around with a microphone in your short shorts:-)

some styles beg to be replaced

still... quite a performance, well done!

Psalm 119:83

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 06-02-2012 18:12.

06-02-2012 18:11 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
vapspwi
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
It's been going over 20 years and has followed a similar pattern to Cornerstone in some ways. As the years have progressed they have booked more "big name" bands and allowed for fewer smaller acts.

While it may be accurate to say that Cornerstone booked a few more "big acts" for Main Stage as the years went by (although they still put bands like Underoath and The Devil Wears Prada on Main Stage, too), it's not accurate to say that they allowed for fewer smaller acts. For as long as I've been going, there have been bands ranging from upstarts all the way up to the Main Stage acts. In recent years, as the fest "formalized" the generator stages to make them a little less random and intrusive, there's been even MORE of an opportunity for pretty much anybody to play the fest.

JRjr
06-05-2012 15:24 vapspwi is offline Search for Posts by vapspwi Add vapspwi to your Buddy List
Administrator

Well.... fewer that count would probably be more accurate. I mean face it if your budget is $1000... you can either book 50 moderate sized bands at $20 a piece... or 5 big bands at $150 a piece, 10 moderate bands at $20 and 100 lousy bands at $2 a piece. I think it would be fair to say they seemed to go from the first option to the second. Quantity doesn't mean quality.

06-05-2012 18:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
vapspwi
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 02-21-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Well.... fewer that count would probably be more accurate. I mean face it if your budget is $1000... you can either book 50 moderate sized bands at $20 a piece... or 5 big bands at $150 a piece, 10 moderate bands at $20 and 100 lousy bands at $2 a piece. I think it would be fair to say they seemed to go from the first option to the second. Quantity doesn't mean quality.

I suspect (and I haven't seen any evidence to make me doubt my suspicion) that you've got a bit of DA-focused tunnel vision when it comes to "quality."

Upthread, somebody posited 2005 as the year things took a turn for the worse. I think I've already listed a bunch of bands from 2005, so I'll pick 2007 totally at random and see who was on the schedule:

The Becoming - surprisingly good goth/glam, My Chemical Romance kind of band

Ruth - new band to me at the time, and I haven't heard anything from them lately, but they were a pleasant find that year

Jonezetta - really dug the _Popularity_ album from these guys; 80s throwback rock, a la the Killers

The Wayside - JJT's roots-rock outfit

Run Kid Run - nice, melodic pop-rock T&N band

Spoken - At about the upper end of heaviness that I prefer, but they're really good live, and surprisingly outspoken about matters of faith for a modern T&N band

Flatfoot 56 - wildly entertaining Celtic punk

Maron Gaffron - great voice, a pleasure to listen to

The Lee Boys - kind of in the same realm as Robert Randolph

David Crowder Band - I'm not a worship music fan, but Crowder's thing is pretty good

tobyMac - yeah, I guess he's part of the problem (big name, mainstream stuff), but I like his shows are a lot of fun

House of Heroes - just a good straightforward rock band

The Violet Burning / Michael Pritzl - separate sets; TVB is one of my all-time favorite bands

Paper Route - one of my favorite new bands of the last few years; I saw them in Atlanta last Friday, and it was awesome

Deas Vail - another really good new band, and I think they were just getting started in 2007

Monk - Ric Hordinski (formerly of Over the Rhine) doing his jazzy guitar thing

Rosie Thomas - not really my thing, but she's charming

Anberlin - another of my current favorite bands

Starflyer 59 - they've quietly been putting out solid album after solid album for years

Leigh Nash - her set was nice, although it was mostly solo stuf with an acoustic guitarist and not Sixpence-intensive

Relient K - tons of fun; I really like them, and they've got some great songs

Copeland - kind of at the wussy end of music I prefer, but they have some nice songs

Over the Rhine - another all-time favorite

All the Day Holiday - I enjoy their stuff - modern rock

Future of Forestry - similar to All the Day Holiday

Mike Roe - Nuff Said

Roe vs. Pritzl - nice collaboration between a couple of old timers

Whitecross - throwback metal

Bride - throwback metal

X-Sinner - throwback metal

Switchfoot - I don't like them as much as the next person, but _Hello Hurricane_ was a solid album

Bloodgood - still more throwback metal

The Lost Dogs - you know these guys

Jeff Elbel + Ping - in the spirt of the old days, I think

Family Force 5 - dumb fun

Leeland - a bit teenybopper, but pretty good

Sleeping at Last - a la Copeland, a little mellower than I prefer, but good

That's almost 40 bands that I, an old guy that grew up on Petra and the Choir, like, and I didn't even get into the stuff that "the kids" really enjoy, like Showbread, mewithoutYou, The Devil Wears Prada, Underoath, etc.

Sorry, but the argument that it's just quantity and not quality doesn't hold water. They've got both - almost 40 bands that I wanted to see or saw and enjoyed, a bunch more that aren't my thing but have their fans, and a ton more stuff besides.

JRjr
06-06-2012 20:04 vapspwi is offline Search for Posts by vapspwi Add vapspwi to your Buddy List
Administrator

Its all opinion. One does not outweigh the other. You liking a bunch of bands from the fest doesn't mean that other people have "tunnel vision" or that their view doesn't "hold water." I'm sure Jason can also name a bunch of other (non-DA) bands that he's liked at Cstone over the years. He'd probably name Fleming and John and a number of others. That doesn't change anything.

The fact is a lot of people... not just DA fans... believe that Cornerstone started turning away from its original vision. This is something that I have heard from people chatting around the merch tent.. or at the main stage in between shows. Its enough people that it can't just be "Tunnel vision" or imagined. No one is suggesting that the Powers-that-be at Cornerstone had some kind of ill-intent or were trying to destroy the festival or anything silly like that. Its just that there was a feeling amongst a lot of people that things were moving away from what made the Festival great. On the other side of the token, I'm sure there are people that felt like it was getting better every year. Everyone is entitled to their own perspective and opinion and none of them can be "proven."

06-06-2012 21:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Cornerstone - the end is near

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH