Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Dig Here Songs » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: Top 5 Dig Here Songs (Pick 5)
Jesus Wept 18 13.43%
Love, Grace and Mercy 17 12.69%
Waking Up Under Water 16 11.94%
Dig Here Said The Angel 15 11.19%
Now That I've Died 14 10.45%
We'll All Know Soon Enough 13 9.70%
The Uses of Adversity 10 7.46%
The Ruthless Hum of Dread 9 6.72%
Forward In Reverse 9 6.72%
The Sun Shines On Everyone 7 5.22%
Our New Testament Best 6 4.48%
Total: 134 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Top 5 Dig Here Songs 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Top 5 Dig Here Songs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We used to do things like this, and I thought they were fun.

Pick your top 5 favorite Dig Here Said The Angel songs.

Reply with your favorite song from the album.

I think all of the songs are great. It was hard to pick just five. I think my favorite is Ruthless Hum of Dread.

07-05-2013 11:34 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I like the title track the best. But others are close behind.
07-05-2013 17:11 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Jesus Wept

07-06-2013 21:52 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Hard to determine, but if we're talking about the song that has meant the most to me from this record, certainly "Ruthless Hum Of Dread." Especially the second half of it, where it honestly feels like the separation of a person from their life. It is beautiful, quite heartbreaking, and a little scary too. I can only think of a few bands that would bother to tackle the subject, and even at that they would likely go with only one aspect: the scary, the sad, or the glorious. To get all in a single song requires a degree of nuance I don't think a lot of writers, especially modern writers, have time for.
07-06-2013 23:17 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
midfielddynamite midfielddynamite is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 09-25-2004

I think my favourite is the title track "Dig here said the angel".
07-08-2013 14:59 midfielddynamite is offline Send an Email to midfielddynamite Search for Posts by midfielddynamite Add midfielddynamite to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Not in any particular order;

Forward In Reverse
Jesus Wept
Dig Here Said the Angel
Love, Grace and Mercy
Now That I've Died

07-08-2013 15:22 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

One thing I do find interesting, it seems to me that a few people have talked about "Now that I've died" in relation to physical death. I always took it to be about dying to self, being born again a new creation; redemption. As in, when I put the sinful nature on the cross, then I am more apt to walk in the spirit.

* by the way I am not suggesting that this is what its about, I am just saying that's what came to my mind when I listened to it.

07-08-2013 18:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
One thing I do find interesting, it seems to me that a few people have talked about "Now that I've died" in relation to physical death. I always took it to be about dying to self, being born again a new creation; redemption. As in, when I put the sinful nature on the cross, then I am more apt to walk in the spirit.

* by the way I am not suggesting that this is what its about, I am just saying that's what came to my mind when I listened to it.

i'll tag onto that one for 2 cents... ok, free then, you guys are tough. it seems possible that many of the things said in "died" work both for physical (as the entrance to heaven) as well as spiritual death (in its highest form of sanctification), except the reference to selling records worldwide:-)

Psalm 119:83
07-08-2013 22:44 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

and my 5 (NIAPO) favorite songs:
Jesus Wept
Now That I've Died
We'll All Know Soon Enough
Waking Up Under Water
The Sun Shines on Everyone

lyrically i would pick The Uses of Adversity over Now that I've Died

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 07-08-2013 22:49.

07-08-2013 22:46 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Hmm.... I'll try..

We'll All Know Soon Enough (this song absolutely kills me... Ed kicks burro on the drums... Terry's vocals will tear you apart (as it probably did his throat)... Rob's spooky B3 stuff in the background... Tim's bass rumbling down below... the weird noisy stuff... Greg's perfect guitar part.. the strings towards the end, interrupted by the crashing drums... hearing it in the studio gave me chills... Terry did quite a few takes for the vocals and with each take, his voice would crack or add some little flavor that just sent chills down the spine)

Dig Here Said the Angel

Forward In Reverse

Now That I've Died

Love Grace and Mercy

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
07-09-2013 00:49 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: Top 5 Dig Here Songs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i can't choose top 5 this soon, but #1 in my book is definitely now that i've died! Pleased

Cool
07-10-2013 16:56 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

I find it interesting that Our NT Best is unscientifically the least favorite song on the album. It is one of my favorites, for sure.

07-10-2013 20:20 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I find it interesting that Our NT Best is unscientifically the least favorite song on the album. It is one of my favorites, for sure.

well, #11 out of 11 good songs ain't bad!

07-10-2013 23:42 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

My favorites are changing the more I listen to it.

High rotation in the car right now!

www.smashthatcomputer.com
07-11-2013 04:28 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
lobo1023 lobo1023 is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 09-07-2006

RE: Top 5 Dig Here Songs Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. The Ruthless Hum of Dread – this haunt stayed with me through 8 hours of dreaming
2. We'll All Know Soon Enough – He’s talking about my mother. I’ve said these very words but not aloud
3. Jesus Wept – made my wife cry, as she deals with a health issue that will only get worse.” Sealed in this Lazarus grave With nothing else to do, But cry “Let me out”
4. Dig Here Said The Angel – to me, the music evokes the Moody Blues, especially the verses of “I Know You’re Out There Somewhere”
5. Love, Grace and Mercy – Terry gets kudos for squeezing the right words into impossible places
07-11-2013 08:00 lobo1023 is offline Search for Posts by lobo1023 Add lobo1023 to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

In very particular order, for now... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We'll All Know Soon Enough
Waking Up Under Water
The Uses of Adversity
The Ruthless Hum of Dread
Jesus Wept

We'll All Know Soon Enough and The Ruthless Hum of Dread are crazy, stupid good. They're like Orphans of God good for their perfect compliment of meaning and beauty. The whole album is so enjoyable and thought-provoking - such a rewarding experience.

I'm in a group that gets together weekly to discuss the latest book we're reading (currently discussing Paul Copan's book Is God a Moral Monster), and I'm going to suggest that instead of another book that everyone buys and listens to Dig Here, and each week we'll discuss one song.

An amazing album. The band that won't go away? How about the band whose umpteenth album is better than anything out there! It'd be like if Bruce Jenner could still win olympic gold medals today.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mindgasket: 07-13-2013 23:13.

07-13-2013 23:05 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Question First Song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Given the ranking for Forward in Reverse in the poll, others may, as I do, think it was not the best choice for the first song. In truth I was very taken back when that song began. By the time they wrapped it up I thought it worthy to be on an album with high expectations, but when it began I was greatly disappointed, thinking it sounded like a rehash on a large scale, particularly of MB's Dream, like getting an appetizer that ruins the anticipation for the main course.

Anyway, if that is your thinking as well which song would you pick to be first if they had asked you... us??

I would vote for Waking Up Under Water, not so much because it has as deep a message as some of the songs but because it starts with a kick, reflects the production style of the album as a whole and doesn't let you go. Those of us with ADD, ADHD, DMV and OSHA need that.

07-14-2013 22:13 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

I quite liked Forward in Reverse as an opener. It just didn't turn out to be one my 5 favorite songs on the album, when those songs are taken by themselves, apart from the album context.

Possibly, any of the first three tracks might have made a nice opener. I would hold Waking Up Under Water for Side two. Perhaps that should open side two instead of Now That I've Died? (just my guess for where the vinyl running order will be split)

I quite like the current running order, and feel no need to change it up. But the above are my thoughts, if such a thing were to be done.
07-15-2013 05:50 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I have actually wondered about opening song selection for a while on the Lost Dogs specifically. I also thought it applied here. I don't mind, I just wonder why they seem to start with an "Introduction" song so many times, like an old musical. It was that way on Scenic Routes and continued through many of the following releases where the sound of the first one was a pause before the storm that was coming. There must be a strategy to it.

07-15-2013 12:44 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
I quite liked Forward in Reverse as an opener. It just didn't turn out to be one my 5 favorite songs on the album, when those songs are taken by themselves, apart from the album context.

Eis, any particular reason you like FIR as an opener? curious how other ears respond to these things.

07-15-2013 14:26 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Dig Here Songs

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH