Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Knowledge & Innocence » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Knowledge & Innocence
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

Knowledge & Innocence Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This has long been a favorite album of mine, and I just had a couple of odd little observations about it after listening to it this week.

(1) This is really silly, but of any serious DA-related song I've heard, "Picture of You" reminds me the most of "Swirling Eddies Mellow." (That's not even counting the reprise, of course.)

(2) We all know that lots of Terry's stuff has a Beatles influence. It's especially clear here at the end of "Ever After," where much of the melody is lifted straight from "Cry Baby Cry." But here's some Beatles-related influence that I wonder if anyone else has picked up on -- or if the "influence" is actually just coincidence.

One of John Lennon's unlistenable experimental albums of the late '60s was "Unfinished Music No. 2: Life With the Lions." Almost the most musical moment on it was "Baby's Heartbeat," where a short recording of the heartbeat of John & Yoko's baby (that ended up not surviving) was looped for 5 minutes, creating sort of a hypnotic rhythm.

Terry's album's notes don't say what baby's heartbeat is heard in its very brief "Baby's Heartbeat" track. But, at any rate, could the inclusion of the track itself have been influenced by the track on the Lennon/Ono album? It's interesting to think that Terry could have actually heard or bought that very, um, unmusical album, much less have been influenced by part of it.

04-13-2015 07:37 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am unfamiliar with the Lenon album you mention, but I'm sure Terry is far more experienced than I in this regard. Which is all to say... well, maybe nothing, but you could be right.

I love Knowledge & Innocence, too. It's a shame I don't get to hear it very much since I have it only on cassette. I don't listen to cassettes much since the one in the van ate The Secret of Time (by Charlie Peacock). There's a few songs on Glimpses of Grace, but it's not the same.
04-13-2015 12:49 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's a "Day in the life" rhythm and structure (even though the tempos are different) to the song that has the line "and Grandma's there when baby cries" (Forgot the title - that half brain thing!).

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-14-2015 05:47 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

That would be "Ever After". I really like that song, even though it's so sad. I guess it's also hopeful in a subtle way.
04-14-2015 08:50 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by ftg3plus4

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
I am unfamiliar with the Lenon album you mention

And you haven't missed a thing! I actually had it briefly, back in the days of LPs, but only listened a time or two before passing it on.

04-14-2015 08:59 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by ftg3plus4

Another K&I observation (really nitpicky)…

Am I the only one who's noticed that the CD reissue of this album (well, the CD version I have, at least) is very slightly different from (and shorter than) the original LP? The difference concerns the transition between "Old Time Gospel Camp Meeting Hour" and "Picture of You (Reprise)".

OTGCMH on CD: The fake "scratchy old record" noise fades out fairly quickly, right after the applause fades out.
OTGCMH on vinyl: The noise goes on for several seconds longer, before ending abruptly.

POY(R) on CD: The snoring & clock ticking starts quickly, at full volume.
POY(R) on vinyl: The snoring & clock ticking fades in slowly and goes on a few seconds longer.

I noticed the OTGCMH difference immediately when first hearing the CD, but I only noticed the POY(R) difference today.

Also, POY(R) is credited to Taylor/Watson on the original LP (label & inner sleeve), but this credit is missing from the CD.

And now you know.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by ftg3plus4: 12-23-2020 07:10.

12-17-2020 12:35 ftg3plus4 is online Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Well, I hadn't noticed, but that may be because I've never gotten this on CD, which I regret. Even if it is inferior to the cassette, like the CD release of Briefing for the Ascent, it would still be nice to be able to listen to the songs.
01-09-2021 09:42 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

https://danielamosboots.bandcamp.com/alb...ence-remastered

01-12-2021 18:13 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks, Ron E. For some reason I always forget about Bandcamp. Probably best for my wallet, but I'll make a point of getting this one.
01-16-2021 11:42 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Knowledge & Innocence

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH