Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty WoaaahJelly! 12-01-2016 11:24
 RE: My First Eneounter With Derri Dougherty brother joel 12-02-2016 16:45
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty DwDunphy 12-03-2016 14:57
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty baxter 12-03-2016 21:51
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty sondance 12-05-2016 21:38
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty Jimmy Brown 12-06-2016 07:22
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty WoaaahJelly! 12-07-2016 00:23
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty WoaaahJelly! 12-07-2016 00:44
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty PuP 12-07-2016 01:10
 RE: My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty WoaaahJelly! 12-11-2016 19:24

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
WoaaahJelly! WoaaahJelly! is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-650.jpg

Registration Date: 06-25-2013

My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've seen him three times in concert- all at Joe's Java. There was the 2012 Dogs gig, the 2013 Dogs gig and the Choir session in May 2014. This was definitely not the Choir gig and as I remember my surprise and delight, it likely would have been the first Dogs gig in 2012. I was outside of Joe's Java in Wilmington and saw him. My enthusiasm shown in my face I think. I looked at him and probably smiled. I was tickled. He looked back at me I suppose, a little, surprised also? But he didn't exactly smile. Then he looked I suppose a little grave? or concerned? and he went back inside. I can only imagine my energy and enthusiasm scare people sometimes.

Another time (probably the 2013 one) I approached him and suggested they play a megachurch and just take the love offering as payment. Heck, that would fill the RV up so to speak, with cash. He said something to the effect that they wouldn't be right for such a church. I think they would be excellent and should give it a shot.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by WoaaahJelly!: 12-01-2016 11:27.

12-01-2016 11:24 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

RE: My First Eneounter With Derri Dougherty Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The first time I saw him live was a choir concert at Eastern College in 1996. Then I did not encounter him live again until Cornerstone 2000 where I caught the choir acoustic set, The Lost Dogs set, and the Adam Again set where he shared some vocals in memory of Gene. After this, I was able to catch either a dogs show or a choir show about once a year. Lately it has been more choir, though I did see the Kerosene Halo show this past summer near Lancaster, PA. My first memory of an actual conversation with him was at a Lost Dogs show in Lancaster in 2013. I am sure I actually talked to him previously, but this one stuck out because it was less fan boy and more a real conversation. Anyway, I had recently seen Phil Madeira for an acoustic show and book signing for his book "God on the Rocks." I was reading it at the concert in between sets and then afterward. While the band was wandering I was holding it and Derri asked what I was reading. This got us into a conversation about Phil Madeira and the song, "Bad Sense of Direction." We also talked about some theology. It was a good conversation.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by brother joel: 12-04-2016 16:30.

12-02-2016 16:45 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The first encounter is visual, when you see him, saying goodbye to Winslow Arizona, probably.

The second encounter is when you experience phenomena -- extra shoegaze in the guitars, gravy mysteriously appears on your plate, things like that.

The third encounter...is when you meet him.
12-03-2016 14:57 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First time was at Knott's Berry Farm when Regan was president. Last time was a little house in Fresno last Christmas. There are about 403 times in between.
12-03-2016 21:51 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

it's not fair to call this a "meeting", it's more of a confession. the doggies played in oakland about 10 years ago and i talked our eldest daughter into going with me. i was a bit sheepish about the whole thing not having had a chance to talk to TST for about 20 years. the concert was great and wonder of wonders they sang "ain't gonna fight it". so i sang my old harmony part all the way through and my sweet daughter at least acted like she was impressed.
afterwards we hung out waiting. it took the fellers quite awhile to wrap up their poker game in the back and come out to see us groupies and sell some merchandise. Doc Love who i did not know at all came out and i kind of moved my daughter to the other side b/c he seemed so weird. Then Derri came out and by now i'm getting impatient. but he seemed safe enough so i angled over to block his path. he was friendly so i said, "nice concert, thanks, is Terry coming out?" not realizing what a slap in the face that was. his face lost any appearance of friendliness and he said something like, "yeah, any time now" and headed to the CD table.
i'm such a jerk.

Psalm 119:83
12-05-2016 21:38 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by sondance[snip]

Then Derri came out and by now i'm getting impatient. but he seemed safe enough so i angled over to block his path. he was friendly so i said, "nice concert, thanks, is Terry coming out?" not realizing what a slap in the face that was. his face lost any appearance of friendliness and he said something like, "yeah, any time now" and headed to the CD table.
i'm such a jerk.

This is how I console myself over the fact that I've never met any of the DA/Dogs/Choir crew. I'm such a fool that I have said something stupid to almost every musician I respect that I've met.
12-06-2016 07:22 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Thread Starter Thread Started by WoaaahJelly!

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:
Originally posted by sondance[snip]

Then Derri came out and by now i'm getting impatient. but he seemed safe enough so i angled over to block his path. he was friendly so i said, "nice concert, thanks, is Terry coming out?" not realizing what a slap in the face that was. his face lost any appearance of friendliness and he said something like, "yeah, any time now" and headed to the CD table.
i'm such a jerk.

This is how I console myself over the fact that I've never met any of the DA/Dogs/Choir crew. I'm such a fool that I have said something stupid to almost every musician I respect that I've met.

Hmmm. Shades of my first seeing (not meeting) him? Maybe he's occasionally moody and it's neither my fault nor your fault.

Oh- and let me recount for you one day the biscuits and gravy story he told at the 2014 Choir gig. Once I stop crying and barfing.

12-07-2016 00:23 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Woolly Eggwhisk

Did I really put "Eneounter"? Could the admin or a mod please un-derp me? Thank yuo.

12-07-2016 00:44 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

This thread is de-derped. Un-derping you requires a degree and certification I have not obtained.

12-07-2016 01:10 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Woolly Eggwhisk

The one thing God cannot do.

12-11-2016 19:24 WoaaahJelly! is offline Send an Email to WoaaahJelly! Search for Posts by WoaaahJelly! Add WoaaahJelly! to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of WoaaahJelly!: SquidBarfer
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » My First Encounter With Derri Dougherty

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH