Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Beatles and TST tunes » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Beatles and TST tunes
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
morimoto
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-10-2002

The Beatles and TST tunes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Been reading the board for a little while now and haven't seen this one come up.

Can anybody list TST tunes that are directly musically related to Beatles songs in whole or part.

My example:- 'As the World Turns' is practically a cover version of 'Polyethelene Pam'
The end of 'Traps, Ensnares....' with the flute seems to be a sample of the same thing at the end of the instrumental 'Flying'

I know there has to be a lot more, which is why I decided to to ask you guys.
10-16-2002 20:26 morimoto is offline Send an Email to morimoto Search for Posts by morimoto Add morimoto to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Keep in mind that the Beatles sold lots and lots of records... Big Grin

HD, first 2 solo albums and MotorCycle esp.... but I'm never been too much of a Beatles fan, before my time... Wink

10-16-2002 20:30 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
but I'm never been too much of a Beatles fan

sometimes i feel like i don't even know you.

Wink

10-16-2002 20:34 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by wes berlin
quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
but I'm never been too much of a Beatles fan

sometimes i feel like i don't even know you.

Wink

I never said I didn't like them, was just implying that maybe somebody like you or maybe tm might have a better answer.... and also keep in mind that the Beatles sold lots and lots of records... Big Grin

10-16-2002 20:43 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

ok. here's one that has always stuck out (for me anyway)...

"i should've known better" (joey, the beatles did this one) and "what's come over me".

10-16-2002 20:49 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
guitarman4christ
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 09-24-2002

TST & The Beatles Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There are Beatlesque touches everywhere, but I agree, the most blatant one that comes to mind is "(What's Come) Over Me", especially with the harmonica.
I like this question, and will go back to respond more. I was a huge Beatles fan. They've influenced many, but with time that influence has waned some.
By the way, did you guys know the Beatles sold lots and lots of records (big black cds for those young guys)?
10-16-2002 21:27 guitarman4christ is offline Send an Email to guitarman4christ Search for Posts by guitarman4christ Add guitarman4christ to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by guitarman4christ
There are Beatlesque touches everywhere, but I agree, the most blatant one that comes to mind is "(What's Come) Over Me", especially with the harmonica.
I like this question, and will go back to respond more. I was a huge Beatles fan. They've influenced many, but with time that influence has waned some.
By the way, did you guys know the Beatles sold lots and lots of records (big black cds for those young guys)?

They did?

10-16-2002 21:30 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Ahem....

Can anyone say "Meat the Farmbeetles"?
10-16-2002 21:47 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

The guitar duel on Motorcycle between Jerry and Greg
has always reminded me of the similar guitar solos
on the medly End of Abbey Road. (I just saw McCartney
and the other two guitarists perform that at his concert
in St Louis.)

Terry's cover of "Long Long Long" off of Briefing
For The Ascent.

And Terry produced Jacob's Troubles Beatles cover
off of their first album.

K&I as a whole has always had a Lennon solo album sound
to me..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-16-2002 22:07 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Motorcycle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

runs th' gammut of Beatles albums from the cool melotron on Traps and Snares to the Guitar-pyrotechnics on Wise Acres.

(it's their "Sgt. Pepper")

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
10-16-2002 23:10 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
Ahem....

Can anyone say "Meat the Farmbeetles"?

Big Grin

10-16-2002 23:17 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

I\'m A Loser Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

No, not me, it's the Lost Dogs - they covered that Lennon-McCartney tune on Little Red Riding Hood. Took a friend of mine a couple of minutes to realize it wasn't the Beatles and he, like me, was a Beatlemaniac. I say I was, because now I'm a DA/SE/TST/LD/EDT/FB-maniac. Big Grin
10-17-2002 00:30 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Do you mean a TST manioc? You see, for Harvest Festival (being good Christians, we don't celebrate Halloween) we gather all of our cassava roots from the garden and carve likenesses of one of Terry's pals or of Terry himself. My son's image of Little Dumbo is quite astounding.

i know that its a selfish practice, that we could instead make Tapioca for our elderly and infirm neighbors, but we just have to break out and live dangerously every once and a while. Its a Wild Ride.
10-17-2002 00:45 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

I'm a maniac, Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

maniac, for... wait... OK, now.

Yes, a TSTimaniac!

DA=Daniel Amos Pleased
SE=Swirling Eddies Cool
TST=Terry Scott Taylor Big Grin (the common bond)
LD=LostDogs Tongue
EDT=Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor Evil
FB=Farm Beetles Smile )

(but you knew that.)

Shocked I LOVE the Wild Ride. Shocked
10-17-2002 02:14 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

agreed Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DAMBers
the FAb4 references are pretty well covered.
there are certainly other moments as well
I think Terry and the boys freely admit being influenced by lots of stuff-
including the Beatles and Brian W.

...................and yes - I myself have
BOUGHT lots and lots of their records.
(though my catalog is like -maybe 2/3rds of the very commercial stuff-
ferget the bootlegs and tony sheriden etc.....
You cant say too much about them
What other group gets so much attention when all there is left is the bass player and the drummer?
10-17-2002 07:42 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Yeah with all 4 of them being so hugely talented they are important in their own right.

I know McCartney finished all the parts to certain Beatles songs himself in the studio because the others didn't show up.

Each one of them could play Guitar, Piano, bass and Drums as well as other instraments.. Paul plays some Horns, etc.

Wacthing Paul on this tour play guitar was pretty cool,
especially when doing the solo duels from Abbey road.
Very Cool.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-17-2002 11:28 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by morimoto
My example:- 'As the World Turns' is practically a cover version of 'Polyethelene Pam'

They are pretty close.
I always think of "What's come over me" & "Should have known better" and

10-17-2002 13:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
morimoto
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 10-10-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by morimoto

When I posted this I was referring more to direct musical 'borrowings' than a general influence. I seem to find more of these when listening to the Beatles more obscure songs.
10-17-2002 13:32 morimoto is offline Send an Email to morimoto Search for Posts by morimoto Add morimoto to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by morimoto
When I posted this I was referring more to direct musical 'borrowings' than a general influence. I seem to find more of these when listening to the Beatles more obscure songs.

"She's all heart" has a bit of "She said, she said" but VH has plenty of beatles "borrowings" on it.

10-17-2002 13:35 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Robert H
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Honeysuckle Breeze reminds me alot of Blackbird....With maybe a bit of Simon and Garfunkle thrown in. Derri sounds alot like Art garfunkle on this one.
10-17-2002 14:04 Robert H is offline Send an Email to Robert H Search for Posts by Robert H Add Robert H to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Beatles and TST tunes

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH