Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hey BD » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hey BD
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Hey BD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I sent you the video clip of my band playing as well as my DAmb It contribution (to bigdork@bigdork.org). Let me know when/if they get to you.

Here's the accompanying story which I also sent to BD:

The whole process started at the beginning of September when I decided to start working on a solo project. I got all the tools together, and after figuring out how to plug my amp into the computer, I even started recording some bits and pieces. That's when the whole DAmb It thing came up. Initially I was going to do "Father Explains" with my band, but as the end of September neared, it was starting to look like that would not be a possibility. By that point I had decided to do "Home Permanent" and started working on it alone.

After several grueling sessions, I ended up with 6 guitar tracks, 1 bass, and 1 drum track (I had even attempted to do some vocals as well). My friend/band mate, Adam decided to contribute his talent by playing drums on the track (and in the end, helped me with the vocals). Initially I just had a drum machine going in the back. I brought the 8-track over to Adam's, and he recorded the drums. Then we brought the 8-track back to my place and recorded the drums to the computer. Then we manually dragged and dropped the drum track in time, as we found, we had to do with other instruments as well.

We cut, dragged, altered, and EQed the tracks. We even added a phasing effect to one of the guitars. We actually cut the entire rhythm guitar track and did without it. Then we recorded the vocals.

I have a newfound respect for DA and Terry Taylor. "Home Permanent" may only be three chords for the most part (until it gets to the bridge), but the vocals are technically challenging and difficult! I'm not even talking about range because I can sing most things an octave below without much problem. So, we did the vocals the best we could. Sometimes I felt like giving up along the way. But then we tried not to take it too seriously, and in a true DAmb fashion laughed our guts out trying to sing the bridge. Unfortunately only our out-of-tune vocals are to be heard on the recording. Smile

Ultimately, my contribution is anything but perfect. Instruments fall in and out of time, vocals are flat/sharp or just simply out of tune, and there's also something to be said about the humming of the amp - which isn't so bad to begin with - but cumulatively, it seemed to add up. All instruments/vocals were recorded through the amp except for the drums which went straight through the mike. Cool Edit Pro is not a bad program, but it didn't always seem to do the trick. Perhaps we were rushed, but the results would not have varied drastically had we taken more time. There are just too many flaws to list. However, some of you may have recorded your contribution through a tape recorder, and compared to that we had technology in abundance. And still, I like to think that the track has a certain charm.

Although I was not exactly pleased with the overall result - even after mixing it down - I think I have driven more inspiration from this experience.

10-17-2002 00:25 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I got your song this morning but no video. I'll have to check when I get home.

I did update the DAmbIT page with your info before I left for work though.

Home Permanent

BD

10-17-2002 14:13 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Thread Starter Thread Started by arcticsunburn
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
I got your song this morning but no video. I'll have to check when I get home.

I did update the DAmbIT page with your info before I left for work though.

Home Permanent

BD

Thanks, BD. You're the best. Tongue

10-17-2002 23:43 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

BD

01-06-2003 20:31 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

BD

01-12-2003 09:37 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hey BD

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH